Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Amazon is not an authorized reseller, so Pioneer wouldn't warranty it. I went through this when I bought mine. Ended up paying almost $200 more for it through my installer because I didn't want to have issues with warranty claims.

Given my recent issues I am glad I did.

I just installed an Appradio 4 in my car last weekend, so I'm happy to answer anybody's questions about Carplay or these Pioneer head units in general.

Squaretrade will issue warranties on these units when bought from an unauthorized retailer such as Amazon (it was about $40 for my Appradio 4 unit - still cheaper than going to an "authorized" retailer). Furthermore, if you buy from a marketplace seller, there's a chance they are an authorized retailer.

As for the pricing, MSRP in the car audio industry is grossly inflated. Retailers often offer deep discounts on these items. My Appradio 4 retails for $600 - I got it for around $400.

If you're going to buy one of these units, opt for either the upper end model (the 8000-series) or an Appradio 4 -- both are the only ones that Pioneer offers with capacitive screens; all of their other models are resistive and, as a result, have some serious limitations.

Sayewhat

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Why not just buy an iPad / iPad mini with cellular? Cheaper plus you can take it with you.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I have the Avh-4000NEX and love it. I didn't have nav or Bluetooth so it was a huge upgrade. As more apps come out for CarPlay it will pick up in popularity. One thing is that these new decks don't support wireless CarPlay. At least not yet. I contacted pioneer support and the lady didn't know if they were capable. Software updates for the NEX series have been scarce, it took pioneer until October to add CarPlay that the promised in its spring release.

It's my understanding these units will not support wireless CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay requires Wi-Fi - these units simply don't have that support. Alpine's unit does have a Wi-Fi chipset (that's not currently used for anything, but it's there) and theoretically could be updated to support wireless CarPlay.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It's my understanding these units will not support wireless CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay requires Wi-Fi - these units simply don't have that support. Alpine's unit does have a Wi-Fi chipset (that's not currently used for anything, but it's there) and theoretically could be updated to support wireless CarPlay.

Alpine's unit is confirmed to support wireless Carplay by one of their techs on Facebook. I own the Alpine and Carplay is superb on it. It has a capacitive screen that works surprisingly well compared to other touchscreens and the viewability in bright sunlight is top tier as well. I got mine for $400.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Why not just buy an iPad / iPad mini with cellular? Cheaper plus you can take it with you.

I plan to do that some day and use an AirPort Express connected to the aux port for wireless music. I'm not content with just buying a car and leaving it unmodified. :cool:

Last edited:

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I have the AVIC 5000 NEX and it is pretty good...CarPlay is very half baked right now but it has potential. Imagine the :apple:TV in 2007 or 2008..that is kind of how I feel about CarPlay.

My ritual to get CarPlay to work for music or podcasts is:

1. Make sure my phone is unplugged from the system.
2. Start my vehicle and allow the 5000NEX to completely boot up,
3. Ensure my phone is not running the "music" or "podcasts" app, even in the background,
4. Make sure my phone is in standby, then plug it in,
5. Wait for the 5000NEX to recognize the phone,
6. Unlock my phone,
7. Select music or podcasts from the screen of the 5000NEX.

"Half-Baked" is a good way to put it; it feels like CarPlay is still in beta. Getting podcasts to play on a consistent basis is a challenge and unless I'm careful about the startup process, I end up doing multiple restarts. Not quite the plug-n-play experience I was hoping for.

aloha50

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I have avix 5000 in my jeep wrangler... no issues at all. Yes it will be nicer once some additional apps come online. But it works great.. maps texting and calls, and of course music..

I do not have the problems others have posted about half baked... start the car and plug it in..

got best buy to install it.. rep was great

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
My ritual to get CarPlay to work for music or podcasts is:

1. Make sure my phone is unplugged from the system.
2. Start my vehicle and allow the 5000NEX to completely boot up,
3. Ensure my phone is not running the "music" or "podcasts" app, even in the background,
4. Make sure my phone is in standby, then plug it in,
5. Wait for the 5000NEX to recognize the phone,
6. Unlock my phone,
7. Select music or podcasts from the screen of the 5000NEX.

"Half-Baked" is a good way to put it; it feels like CarPlay is still in beta. Getting podcasts to play on a consistent basis is a challenge and unless I'm careful about the startup process, I end up doing multiple restarts. Not quite the plug-n-play experience I was hoping for.

Seems like that's a problem with your Pioneer not Carplay. Probably because Pioneer is trying to support things like Android Auto as well, which means it can't boot up directly into Carplay and can't be designed to work as well as it should.

I have the Alpine ILX-007 which is Carplay only and it boots up directly into Carplay if your phone is connected. It works quite seamless and also supports the new wireless Carplay feature. There is also a dedicated physical Siri button which makes a huge difference and also something that the more generic units don't have.

Something made specifically for Carplay will obviously work better than something more generic so this is not surprising in the least. But that's on Pioneer, not Carplay itself.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Because viewing maps on a single DIN unit would suck.

its not always about viewing maps. I want my ipod playback and music navigation to be handled by apple, not whatever craptactular UI the manufacturer decides makes sense.

----------

True...but they could do one of those motorized screens that would solve that issue.

i would prefer just the single din full front screen, no flip out monitor.

Lets call it CarPlay Nano or CarPlay mini

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Seems like that's a problem with your Pioneer not Carplay. Probably because Pioneer is trying to support things like Android Auto as well, which means it can't boot up directly into Carplay and can't be designed to work as well as it should.

I have the Alpine ILX-007 which is Carplay only and it boots up directly into Carplay if your phone is connected. It works quite seamless and also supports the new wireless Carplay feature. There is also a dedicated physical Siri button which makes a huge difference and also something that the more generic units don't have.

Something made specifically for Carplay will obviously work better than something more generic so this is not surprising in the least. But that's on Pioneer, not Carplay itself.

I'm much more interested in the Alpine unit myself, how well does wireless CarPlay work?
One of the apparent downsides of the Alpine is the lack of Bluetooth, i.e., in short journeys, I might not want to plug the phone in, but if I get a call I'd still be able to answer hands free, but not without BT... Does wireless CarPlay allow that?

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Just out of curiosity I poked around on the Pioneer website and I see they have posted a firmware 1.08 for the 5000NEX. Mine is running 1.06 (which brought us CarPlay) so maybe the update might fix some of my issues.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
its not always about viewing maps. I want my ipod playback and music navigation to be handled by apple, not whatever craptactular UI the manufacturer decides makes sense.

----------

You can do that now with any number of single DIN units that have Bluetooth. I have to rent cars all the time for work, first thing I do is sync up my phone. I can control music, navigate, etc with even the most basic craptacular factory stereos. After market head units can do that and more. Just have to do some homework and find out which one is right for you.

Last edited:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Does CarPlay work with Spotify?

Does anyone actually use CarPlay?

Edit: The answers are yes and yes.

I have a Pioneer SPH-DA120 that I had fitted last week into my new-to-me car (also bought the same week) and so far it's been excellent.

The screen is responsive, Siri is pretty good and the call quality on both ends for the phone/facetime is excellent (the mic is mounted discreetly on my steering column). Navigation works really well, and the Pioneer I have came with an included GPS antenna that takes over from the iPhone's one to give rock solid position data. I love the way that the maps app pulls in data from your phone to come up with lists of suggestions for places (e.g., from your calendar if you have places marked in your upcoming events, or from your contact list).

The UI for the music app is awesome and is pretty much almost worth it for me alone - the layout is great, it's easy to read at a glance and the buttons and controls on the screen are perfect.

I wouldn't call Carplay "half baked" based on my experience with it so far - it's clearly been well thought out but it does still have some things I think need fixing:

* You can't read or type texts or look at any iMessage photos you have received, even when the car is parked. It's purely voice control *only* at the moment, which is fine on the road (don't text and drive), but it would be nice to be able to switch to a text mode when the car's handbrake is on - the head unit already has the ability to sense when the handbrake is on, so this shouldn't be hard to add.

* Podcasts doesn't seem to have a "feed" view - it only lists what you currently have on your phone, so if you forgot to check for new episodes you have to do that from your phone's podcast app. It's a minor issue that won't come up if you subscribe to a podcast you listen to frequently.

* while it is very easy to scroll through lists of things like music etc (it's just like doing it on the phone), a "scroll down rapidly" button would be nice for long playlists so you don't have to swipe many times to page through them. If you know what you want it in the middle of the list, a quick tap to jump to the middle would be nice, followed by normal scrolling to dial in to the exact place.

* I'd prefer not to have to unlock the phone when I connect it, and instead just connect the cable and drop it in the little cubby I have for it, but I hear this has already been addressed in iOS 8.3 with the ability to remember head units.

* On that note, I know that all the legalese is necessary, but I would also prefer if you could turn off the "drive carefully, look at the road" legal disclaimer that comes up (and must be dismissed by clicking ok) every time you start Carplay. I wish there was a button that said "I've read this, don't show me again" or "remind me of this next month" or something.

Otherwise, I really like it so far.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
You can do that now with any number of single DIN units that have Bluetooth. I have to rent cars all the time for work, first thing I do is sync up my phone. I can control music, navigate, etc with even the most basic craptacular factory stereos. After market head units can do that and more. Just have to do some homework and find out which one is right for you.

bluetooth audio sucks. I want hard connection. I have a Kenwood - KIV-BT901 right now. Its close but still not quite.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
What relevance do moving parts have with pricing? Were you hoping it had a hard drive?

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny too. You can spec an iMac for over $4k and there aren't any moving parts (except the keyboard keys I guess...)

EDIT: I just decided to pull the trigger on the Pioneer 8100 to replace the horrible system in my aging car. Want to nurse the car for another couple - 3 years and this will help a LOT.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I'm much more interested in the Alpine unit myself, how well does wireless CarPlay work?
One of the apparent downsides of the Alpine is the lack of Bluetooth, i.e., in short journeys, I might not want to plug the phone in, but if I get a call I'd still be able to answer hands free, but not without BT... Does wireless CarPlay allow that?

No one knows - Alpine has not issued a firmware update enabling wireless CarPlay at this time. The capability of the unit to support it is there, but they haven't enabled it.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
No one knows - Alpine has not issued a firmware update enabling wireless CarPlay at this time. The capability of the unit to support it is there, but they haven't enabled it.

Cool, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for any new info, I'm curious to see how the wireless CarPlay works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.