Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I am a Pro photographer and been using iPhones since 2007.
I absolutely love the new XSM camera.The quality and features are simple but great. The new Depth of Field feature is awesome but not new. There is an app I've been using for a while called FOCOS, that does the same post editing DOF adjustment. Although Apple's is much easier and better but not a first.
But, I am really pissed off that you now have a huge 6.5" scren but you can't take full screen photos!
You get this stupid 4:3 (3:4) ratio that is useless in for today since nobody prints anything anymore and in fact you have a photo that looks more like 2007 iPhone in terms of size, at least on the screen... What is the first thing you do when u look at a photo with those nasty black bars on the side? You pinch to zoom in to see a bigger photo that fills up more of your screen.
People only use their phones to view and transfer photos or post them on social media. Proof is the millions of horrible vertical videos that suck in a TV look good on a phone because they take, or should I say used to take up the whole screen. Since iPhone X, and it looks that this is the future, aspect ratio is 19.5:9. There is no crop setting on "edit" photo to crop to full screen if u wanted to. You still get 16:9 which is closer and better but still don't fill up the screen. BTW, talking about the crop choices on "edit", why not use a smaller, less invasive crop list instead of having to scroll through useless crop ratios that take up most of the real estate of the screen... :rolleyes:

If this is a truly mobile device, Apple should make it so you take advantage of the new gorgeous screen. There are a few apps that take full screen photos and even though they re not as nice as Apple's, they make the photos look a lot more impressive.
Why have a big screen when you are using maybe 70% of it's actual size?
:mad:

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I’m not even a fan of 16:9 photos most of the time, they have their place only in certain instances . I really really hope wider photos by default does NOT become the norm.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
yes. I want full screen photos or at least the choice to crop them
[doublepost=1537715837][/doublepost]
unsee what?
I’m still not understanding you. For the photo to be full screen, that would mean that the phone would have to crop the photo. If you then cropped it further, you are throwing away even more information.

I can see wanting the sensor aspect ratio to match the screen, but asking for the photo to be cropped to match the screen just so you can display it without bars makes no sense.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m still confused about why this is something even worth wondering about. iPhone aspect ratios are all but conventional. Cropping an image by default permanently during capturing / processing time is absolutely a horrendous idea.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I’m still not understanding you. For the photo to be full screen, that would mean that the phone would have to crop the photo. If you then cropped it further, you are throwing away even more information.

I can see wanting the sensor aspect ratio to match the screen, but asking for the photo to be cropped to match the screen just so you can display it without bars makes no sense.
But....but...he’s a pro photographer.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I would also prefer wider stock photos that match the screen ratio. I never print photos. That is why I purchased the phone and share photos with my family members using phones. Just my opinion on the matter.

Reactions: Ifti and ppdix

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I would also prefer wider stock photos that match the screen ratio. I never print photos. That is why I purchased the phone and share photos with my family members using phones. Just my opinion on the matter.
And it’s fair to say you wish that the aspect ratio of the sensor matched the screen.

The original guy, though wanted the opposite.

Reactions: haruhiko

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Use the crop tool to trim the width. No iPhone has ever taken a picture full aspect ratio.
"Pro" photographers don't shoot with iPhones. Busted.
I’m not even a fan of 16:9 photos most of the time, they have their place only in certain instances . I really really hope wider photos by default does NOT become the norm.
TV was once almost square. You go to the theater and you see wide movies in many different aspect ratios in fact.
So what's the problem with bigger images on a big screen?
[doublepost=1537754765][/doublepost]
Use the crop tool to trim the width. No iPhone has ever taken a picture full aspect ratio.
Dude, I have a Sony A7R III and a Canon 1DX Mark II for Professional work but I have my iPhone on me all the time, not the cameras. So, as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. I just want to see the images as big as possible on the screen... what's wrong with that?
[doublepost=1537755213][/doublepost]
I’m still confused about why this is something even worth wondering about. iPhone aspect ratios are all but conventional. Cropping an image by default permanently during capturing / processing time is absolutely a horrendous idea.
It doesn't have to be permanent. Facebook understands and the camera app built into it is Full screen and has been for a while. People look at stuff on their phones, because it can be sent and shared instantly. that's the way things are now. I just want the choice of ratios before taking a photo. We already have 3, normal, square and panorama. Why not have a full screen ratio? Hundreds of third party apps offer it, and lots of people buy them. What's so hard to understand?
I already have a few extra camera apps but the camera app icon on the lock screen is the fastest way to take a shot when u see something that you really want to shoot so I use it 90% of the time...

Reactions: fraternihil

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm confused; why can't you just use the crop tool to crop the photo to the aspect ratio you want?

The XS and XS Max both take photos at the same aspect ratio as prior phones. I'm really perplexed as to what the issue you're having is.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
1.Put the photo you want 'full screen' on your phone.
2.Turn phone to landscape.
3.Pinch photo to how you want it to fit screen.
4.Take screenshot.

There is your cropped-to-fit-the-screen photo.
Well that is really, really dumb answer, sorry to say... You don't seem to know anything about how images on the iPhone work.
You take a 12MP photo and you get 3024x4032 pixels (or 12.1MP) and you get an jpg image of about 5MB.
You take a screen shot, and you get a 1242x2688 (or a crappy 3MP) PNG file that is about 15MB.

How good is that? An image 4 times smaller in size and that takes 3 times the storage space...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
[doublepost=1537756314][/doublepost]
I'm confused; why can't you just use the crop tool to crop the photo to the aspect ratio you want?

The XS and XS Max both take photos at the same aspect ratio as prior phones. I'm really perplexed as to what the issue you're having is.
because when you can see the aspect of the image before shooting it, you can compose your photo better. Cropping is tricky after you take the photo. When u take photos for a living, you see things differently...
[doublepost=1537756452][/doublepost]
Time Magazine had a cover taken with an iPhone, there are countless videos and movies filmed entirely with iPhones... look it up...

Reactions: phillytim

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I am a Pro photographer and been using iPhones since 2007.
I absolutely love the new XSM camera.The quality and features are simple but great. The new Depth of Field feature is awesome but not new. There is an app I've been using for a while called FOCOS, that does the same post editing DOF adjustment. Although Apple's is much easier and better but not a first.
But, I am really pissed off that you now have a huge 6.5" scren but you can't take full screen photos!
You get this stupid 4:3 (3:4) ratio that is useless in for today since nobody prints anything anymore and in fact you have a photo that looks more like 2007 iPhone in terms of size, at least on the screen... What is the first thing you do when u look at a photo with those nasty black bars on the side? You pinch to zoom in to see a bigger photo that fills up more of your screen.
People only use their phones to view and transfer photos or post them on social media. Proof is the millions of horrible vertical videos that suck in a TV look good on a phone because they take, or should I say used to take up the whole screen. Since iPhone X, and it looks that this is the future, aspect ratio is 19.5:9. There is no crop setting on "edit" photo to crop to full screen if u wanted to. You still get 16:9 which is closer and better but still don't fill up the screen. BTW, talking about the crop choices on "edit", why not use a smaller, less invasive crop list instead of having to scroll through useless crop ratios that take up most of the real estate of the screen... :rolleyes:

If this is a truly mobile device, Apple should make it so you take advantage of the new gorgeous screen. There are a few apps that take full screen photos and even though they re not as nice as Apple's, they make the photos look a lot more impressive.
Why have a big screen when you are using maybe 70% of it's actual size?
:mad:
I happen to notice this issue when I was at Apple last night testing the camera on the XSM. I took a random photo and noticed it did not fill the screen. I wondered if anything it "settings" had to be turned ON or OFF. Sadly, this was the normal aspect ratio.

Reactions: ppdix

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
There’s an app for that!!!!!!

Smart crop on the App Store. For only $ 2.99.

3 dollars and you can satisfy all your cropping desires on your iPhone BDSM, sorry XSM - supports many other ratios as well.

Reactions: green86 and ppdix

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
exactly
[doublepost=1537756746][/doublepost]
I happen to notice this issue when I was at Apple last night testing the camera on the XSM. I took a random photo and noticed it did not fill the screen. I wondered if anything it "settings" had to be turned ON or OFF. Sadly, this was the normal aspect ratio.
Yes, it's stupid. they got rid of the home button and the top and bottom bars so you would have a frameless experience and now you have 40% of the actual 6.5" screen with even bigger black bars! HAHAHAH How crappy is that? o_O
[doublepost=1537756894][/doublepost]
There’s an app for that!!!!!!

Smart crop on the App Store. For only $ 2.99.

3 dollars and you can satisfy all your cropping desires on your iPhone BDSM, sorry XSM - supports many other ratios as well.
thanks. I know there are many apps and I already use a few, but like I mentioned before, I like to compose my shot before I take the photo, not afterwards. It's totally different in my opinion.
[doublepost=1537757297][/doublepost]
But....but...he’s a pro photographer.
Yes I am. That's why it makes sense to me. It's like taking videos vertically... why do people do it? because they are used to looking at the phone in portrait mode ALL the time and the video will still look good when you watch it or share it... because people seldom use their phone in landscape mode. but, it sucks to watch that video on a computer, or tv or youtube and you are using half of the sensor... still, people keep doing it wrong. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1537757493][/doublepost]
I just contracted brain cancer
should we call a doctor? ;)

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
TV was once almost square. You go to the theater and you see wide movies in many different aspect ratios in fact.
So what's the problem with bigger images on a big screen?
[doublepost=1537754765][/doublepost]
Dude, I have a Sony A7R III and a Canon 1DX Mark II for Professional work but I have my iPhone on me all the time, not the cameras. So, as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. I just want to see the images as big as possible on the screen... what's wrong with that?
[doublepost=1537755213][/doublepost]
It doesn't have to be permanent. Facebook understands and the camera app built into it is Full screen and has been for a while. People look at stuff on their phones, because it can be sent and shared instantly. that's the way things are now. I just want the choice of ratios before taking a photo. We already have 3, normal, square and panorama. Why not have a full screen ratio? Hundreds of third party apps offer it, and lots of people buy them. What's so hard to understand?
I already have a few extra camera apps but the camera app icon on the lock screen is the fastest way to take a shot when u see something that you really want to shoot so I use it 90% of the time...

I’ve never heard of a professional photographer who wants to throw away sensor information.

Are you also a big fan of digital zoom?
[doublepost=1537759595][/doublepost]

Yes, it would be great if the phone used a more rectangular sensor (of course that causes problems with lenses, which like to be circular, but...).

Reactions: aosmer and w_aldo

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
and to further prove my point that those black bars suck... Apple's own keynote of last week was deceiving... They show all photos at full screen, even the demo video, which they claim was NOT edited in any way and was shot with iPhone XS, it is not at 16:9 but at full screen... Why? because they don't want the photos or videos to make the new bigger screen appear smaller...
It happened to me today. I showed a friend with an iPhone 8 Plus my new XSM... We both opened the camera app and she said, well it's not frameless and it doesn't look so much bigger, it still has the bars on the bottom... I felt sort of embarrassed that she was right. It still has the bars when u take or look at a photo...

Apple NEVER showed photos on last week's event with the stupid black bars. ALL of the photos are full screen... Watch the event again and see for yourselves. They are marketing a huge screen and talked about the future of photography and video for 15 minutes but they are still using an obsolete aspect ratio that is neither professional nor useful for the present and future aspect ratio of the phone they sell.

Look at these demo photos. NONE of them are 3:4...
So, I photoshopped an image at the 3:4 aspect ratio on the iPhone XS compared to the 8Plus... Since the Plus is wider, you actually get a bigger image at normal zoom than the "bigger" XS screen...
Would apple show us a tiny image on a big screen? No. Because people wouldn't like it. Check out the photos...
Screen-Shot-2018-09-23-at-10.55.07-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-09-23-at-10.57.58-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-09-23-at-10.55.30-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-09-23-at-10.54.34-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-09-23-at-10.58.11-PM.jpg

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
and to further prove my point that those black bars suck... Apple's own keynote of last week was deceiving... They show all photos at full screen, even the demo video, which they claim was NOT edited in any way and was shot with iPhone XS, it is not at 16:9 but at full screen... Why? because they don't want the photos or videos to make the new bigger screen appear smaller...
It happened to me today. I showed a friend with an iPhone 8 Plus my new XSM... We both opened the camera app and she said, well it's not frameless and it doesn't look so much bigger, it still has the bars on the bottom... I felt sort of embarrassed that she was right. It still has the bars when u take or look at a photo...

Apple NEVER showed photos on last week's event with the stupid black bars. ALL of the photos are full screen... Watch the event again and see for yourselves. They are marketing a huge screen and talked about the future of photography and video for 15 minutes but they are still using an obsolete aspect ratio that is neither professional nor useful for the present and future aspect ratio of the phone they sell.

Look at these demo photos. NONE of them are 3:4...
So, I photoshopped an image at the 3:4 aspect ratio on the iPhone XS compared to the 8Plus... Since the Plus is wider, you actually get a bigger image at normal zoom than the "bigger" XS screen...
Would apple show us a tiny image on a big screen? No. Because people wouldn't like it. Check out the photos... View attachment 787790 View attachment 787791 View attachment 787792 View attachment 787793 View attachment 787795

You do realize that the cameras are 12MP and the screen is around 2 or 3 MP. So you don’t have to “edit” the photos to fill the screen - they just zoomed in. Which is what a real photographer does. You capture everything that the sensor gives you, then crop later for display purposes. Cropping before you take the picture merely eliminates possibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.