Pixar's "Up"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twistedlegato, May 16, 2009.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Well, for once, i'm having my doubts with a Pixar movie. It does look good, but it doesn't seem very Pixar. I'm still going to see it as soon as it comes out, hopefully to be proved wrong about my prejudice on the movie. I don't think it's gonna beat WALL-E though...

It looks to be a comedy, and the trailer was pretty funny. That Asian boyscout is a rather funny character :D

Opinions?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Elaborate on "not very Pixar". I don't quite understand what you're saying. The movie looks ok, not too funny but worth a rental all the same.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I think that it will be better than Wall-E (this was my least favorite). I am very positive about this one. I do know what you mean when you say that it doesn't seem very Pixar. They started with Toys and then went to Monsters, it's interesting that they are going to people as the primary characters.

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Call me the minority but I think it looks like it could be the best Pixar movie yet. The visuals look absolutely amazing (not Wall-E amazing, but amazing nonetheless)

5. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I guess because of the use of human characters.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USpI6Jzl3No&fmt=18

If it got top billing in 3D at Cannes, it's likely to be half decent... Expect a trailer come WWDC!

have a read of this - seems reviews are as always, pretty darn positive

On 100% at Rotten Tomatoes at the moment http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/up/

"This is a wonderful film. It tells a story"

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Every time Pixar comes out with a movie I think, "This is one where they finally miss the mark."

And I'm always wrong.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Totally excited about this, saw a trailer last night during Star Trek. I kinda get what you mean though, but I still think it will be awesome.

But what am I dying for? Toy Story 3 next year. THAT'S going to be awesome.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I saw a rough cut of the first 45 minutes or so late last year.

Pixar may eventually misstep, but they'll need some other movie to do it. I don't want to oversell it, but it impressed me even for a Pixar film.

11. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

If nothing else, it'll be the Pixar movie with the shortest title ever.

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I never cared too much for Cars. I guess it was geared more towards a younger audience/I don't really like cars in real life either, so I'm biased. ;)

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Cars was my least favorite too, but I still think it stands above what comes from the other studios. To me, Pixar films have a certainly quality and warmth that places like Dreamworks simply haven't figured out yet.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have loved every Pixar movie thus far except for "The Incredibles". That's the only one i haven't cared for. All the rest of them I thought were brilliant.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Really? Incredibles was one of my favorites along with Toy Story. I never get sick of either one of those movies. :D

16. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Really? I totally enjoyed the Incredibles. Not sure what there was not to like.

17. Bionichead macrumors newbie

I loved The Incredibles. I hope they make another.

18. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I had a couple of conceptual problems with The Incredibles, most notably that if the Supers have to go into hiding, who is going to deal with the Super Bad-guys? It just doesn't make sense, but is required for the storyline.

If my boys put it on, I'll sit and watch anyway.

That being said, I'm looking forward to "Up", and would most likely go see a sequel to "The Incredibles".

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Completely agree. Incredibles is my least favorite Pixar title also. For some reason (maybe the super hero thing being overdone), it just doesn't appeal to me.

I thought Wall-E was amazing, particularly the visuals. Up seems to be aimed at a much younger audience than most of the other Pixar titles.

It won't be a movie I see in theaters (like Wall-E and Finding Nemo), but I'll rent it at some point.

20. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

That's what they've said about every Pixar movie. And look at what's happened each time.

Exactly.

21. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I liked The Incredibles. It was quite unique for a superhero cartoon movie.
    I also loved Cars :D

A Bug's Life is my least favourite Pixar movie.

22. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Cars was my least favorite just because if I want to watch "Doc Hollywood", I can go watch that. Still worth watching, though.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That good? :eek:

I thought Michael J Fox's character was a bit less annoying, actually. :eek:

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

:eek: I don't believe yo just said that. There's no accounting for taste, but Wall•E I think was right up there with Finding Nemo as their two best ones. They outdid themselves with both of those films.

I agree w Abstract about Cars.

I agree with DMR727 about doubting.