Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'm going to Miami on vacation. I don't have a return date set and can stay however long I want. I was wondering what I should do there and where I can go?

Also I need to get a good hotel or like an AirBNB or something, so I need some suggestions please.

I am in my 20s so I'm not interested in things like going to an aquarium lol.

I like night life, partying, and so on (girls lol).

Thanks

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since you managed to spell out the word "vacation" in your post itself, why didn't you also do it in your subject header? "Vacay" is not a word..... No thanks to the internet, the English language is going down the tubes rapidly! Sigh......

Aside from that, this mention of no planned return date suggests that you are not gainfully employed. Trust-fund baby? I'd think a nice hotel would better suit you than some AirBNB where you are supposed to look after someone else's property and be mindful of taking appropriate good care of their appliances and home in general. While it may be convenient to have a kitchen for breakfasts and lunches, and laundry facilities, how thrilled are you at the idea of taking out the trash bins on the appointed day(s) and keeping the place clean and in good condition so that the owners don't later ding you for some little thing you overlooked?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you are planning a vacation and feel the need to ask strangers what you should do, maybe staying home would be a better choice.

I meant as a first time if anyone knew any cool spots. I don't plan on going there and sitting at Starbucks watching youtube lol.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I meant as a first time if anyone knew any cool spots. I don't plan on going there and sitting at Starbucks watching youtube lol.
You don't have to just watch youtube there, they get the full internet.

I would suggest hanging out with these guys.
miami-vice.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Gator wrestling without supervision of a trained professional.

What an absolutely marvellous idea.

Long walks off short docks.

Only if the sea views are worth it.

Still, for exercise, worth looking into.

Since you managed to spell out the word "vacation" in your post itself, why didn't you also do it in your subject header? "Vacay" is not a word..... No thanks to the internet, the English language is going down the tubes rapidly! Sigh......

Aside from that, this mention of no planned return date suggests that you are not gainfully employed. Trust-fund baby? I'd think a nice hotel would better suit you than some AirBNB where you are supposed to look after someone else's property and be mindful of taking appropriate good care of their appliances and home in general. While it may be convenient to have a kitchen for breakfasts and lunches, and laundry facilities, how thrilled are you at the idea of taking out the trash bins on the appointed day(s) and keeping the place clean and in good condition so that the owners don't later ding you for some little thing you overlooked?

Agree, @Clix Pix that "vacay" is not a word; what a horrible (and lazy) abbreviation - anyway, @Hieveryone, why not spell out the word "vacation" in the thread title as you do in your post?

More to the point, I thought employers in the US were really parsimonious or stingy in allowing staff to take long breaks, holidays, vacations or even, perish the thought "Vacays".

Especially the madly motivated chasers of money and means who inhabit Wall Street?

How did you manage to get such time off, and be permitted to take open-ended breaks?

You don't have to just watch youtube there, they get the full internet.

I would suggest hanging out with these guys.
View attachment 820830

That brings back memories; great music on that show, too.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Rent a secretary-special convertible Mustang (remember to check your insurance covers those otherwise it'll be an expensive proposition if you crash it into your pretentiousness).

Drive said Mustang to the Bal Harbour Shops. Spend at least $5,000 at Ralph Lauren so you'll look sharp for the night.

Dinner at Juvia. On your way to Lincoln Road make sure to perfect your Spanish by learning the correct pronunciation for "mi amigoes", "no problemo" and the like. You should feel like a local!

Following your $200 dinner, head to LIV for some $35 G&Ts and a David Guetta concert unlike anything you've ever seen, unless you've been at literally any other nightclub anywhere in the world.

Wake up on Sunday. Fly back to Austin, Nashville or wherever you're coming from and tell your friends Miami was "cray". Try to ignore the fact that, actually, you're hungover and broke.

When Chase calls asking why that $10,000 credit card bill has not been paid, don't answer.

Sounds good doesn't it?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Your first mistake is "planning". Miami is not a place you should do any planning for.

If you are going to stay in Miami Beach, I can recommend the Riviere. It's not fancy - but I'm not one for fancy. Small courtyard hotel I think all suites at reasonable rates, in the middle of everything and walk to the beach. Good for any of family, business, or entertaining, so long as you are not trying to impress. Please plan showers for the extended wait for hot water.

Go gawk at the Versace House.

At least have a Cuban Coffee. David's closed on Collins apparently, I can't vouch for the new location on Alton Road.

Have your rental Lamborghini towed. There's little non-resident parking in Miami Beach.

Go get fleeced on Lincoln Road. Pick up an overpriced Britto. (But, actually, the nearby ArtCenter full of lesser known artists is quite worthwhile, and is partially subsidized for the artists in residence.) Pay special attention to anyone who greets you with "looking sharp, my friend!". Soak up the compliment. They have the scoop on the sharpest threads and best hotspots at the best prices.

Prepare to be turned away at clubs. If you aren't turned away, you went to the wrong place.

OK, you actually want to get in? Find 3 hot chicks to go with you, by offering to pay their way in and for their first drink. You will never see them again. But you will get in. Please just pay the cover, without realizing that they would get in free if you hadn't dug so far into your wallet. Note that they would not get in for free or at all if they were just a group of girls. That would make the whores. God forbid, the club should let in whores! Because they are with you - you handsome devil! - they are not whores. (They are whores!)

Prepare for no action. Because if you came with three hot chicks, you're gay.

Explore Coconut Grove and say "hi" to the peacocks Have your rental Lamborghini towed again for parking in the neighborhood. (There's little non-resident parking in Miami - too bad Car2Go went... they got a free pass).

I suspect if you don't want to go to an Aquarium, you also don't want to go to a museum. Go to the museum that belongs to Florida State University anyway. They have a great collection of Italian Fascist design. They have limited space, so the bulk may be in storage - they rotate it. But you can probably see some. This will bore you to tears. But when you go back to Pocatello, you can impress chicks with your esoteric knowledge of Italian Fascist design. It's sufficiently "edgy" to get you some second looks. People will forget - for a moment - that you are the Trust Fund baby of a wealthy potato farmer.

Some of this is genuine advice. Some is trolling. It's your job to figure it out.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm confused. In another thread - the OP states in post #22, " just REALLY miss the days when I was young and could pretty much do anything and still be as fit as a fiddle."

You're in your 20s, have chronic back pain and miss the days when you were young?

Sounds a bit off to me. Perhaps you should just stay at a resort and have that back worked on.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm confused. In another thread - the OP states in post #22, " just REALLY miss the days when I was young and could pretty much do anything and still be as fit as a fiddle."

You're in your 20s, have chronic back pain and miss the days when you were young?

Sounds a bit off to me. Perhaps you should just stay at a resort and have that back worked on.
I thought this dude was Fabio or something. God's gift to women.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.