Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
stop talking nonsense.

Tell me how good ios 7 was before 7.1? You are lying if you say it was usable.
Same for ios 8 until 8.3/8.4.

iOS 9.0 beats 7.0 and 8.0 any day of the week, its not even close.

Seriously, please somehow get hold of an iDevice running 7.0 or 8.0 and come back here and let me know how great they were.

You are in denial.

Complete nonsense... Air 2 was more than usable on iOS 8.1 as was the Air on iOS 7.(whatever it came with).

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
stop talking nonsense.

Tell me how good ios 7 was before 7.1? You are lying if you say it was usable.
Same for ios 8 until 8.3/8.4.

iOS 9.0 beats 7.0 and 8.0 any day of the week, its not even close.

Seriously, please somehow get hold of an iDevice running 7.0 or 8.0 and come back here and let me know how great they were.

You are in denial.

I used Air 1 which was released with iOS 7.0.3 and in my country, it was released with iOS 7.1 preloaded on it.
I am talking about iPhone 5S, 5c and iPad Air 1 and all of them were flawless on 7.0 right up to 7.1.2.

None of the 3 devices released that year in 2013 stuttered anywhere on iOS 7.0. Most of the complaints of stutter back then were of iPhone 4, 4S.

We are not talking about crashes, bugs or reboots, but about pure UI lags and stutter. iOS 7 was butter smooth in all the 3 devices right from the start.

I have a 5c which I picked up from ebay. It's on 7.0 and.... GOD it beats the crap out of my 5S on 9.1 when it comes to smooth UI.
Don't accuse me with nonsense. First check your facts.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I used Air 1 which was released with iOS 7.0.3 and in my country, it was released with iOS 7.1 preloaded on it.
I am talking about iPhone 5S, 5c and iPad Air 1 and all of them were flawless on 7.0 right up to 7.1.2.

None of the 3 devices released that year in 2013 stuttered anywhere on iOS 7.0. Most of the complaints of stutter back then were of iPhone 4, 4S.

We are not talking about crashes, bugs or reboots, but about pure UI lags and stutter. iOS 7 was butter smooth in all the 3 devices right from the start.

I have a 5c which I picked up from ebay. It's on 7.0 and.... GOD it beats the crap out of my 5S on 9.1 when it comes to smooth UI.
Wasn't iOS 7 one of the most bug ridden releases ever? I'd rather have iOS 9; lag and stutter and all.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I think Apple does a great job supporting older hardware, but should probably just cut it off at 2-3 software updates per device as the device struggles to hand it after that point.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
yes, agreed, 9.2 is looking good. Once metal is polished enough I think we will see even more improvements aka similar to ElCapitan and Yosemite, I hope
I take a slightly slower/more laggy .0 version of ios 9 than ever going back to the respring, crash, freeze and general bug fest that was iOS8 and iOS7.
LOL.I have experienced 8.4.1 for a year on my both Air 2 and iPhone 6 and it was nowhere close to what you are saying.It never crashed and was faster in many ways than iOS 9

Reactions: sanke1

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Tim Cook is paranoid we won't be buying new devices. If they just played nice and didn't **** up the new updates on purpose we would love our beloved company even more, no questioning our brand loyalty.

Steve didn't make us question that.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
yes, how people completly ignore that is beyond me. iOS 9 is rock solid, especially compared to 7 and 8, its not even close.
I even had some person tell me that speed is more important than stability. Lmao.
People on this forum seem to care only about frame rate in a couple of animations ... functionalities and stability are dismissed as secondary.

You got 7.1 and 8.3 right. They made iOS 7 and iOS 8 usable.
I'm waiting for that bug fix/performance improvement update for iOS 9. iOS 9.2 could be a candidate.
iOS 7 NEVER reached this level of stability. Never.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim Cook is paranoid we won't be buying new devices. If they just played nice and didn't **** up the new updates on purpose we would love our beloved company even more, no questioning our brand loyalty.

Steve didn't make us question that.
While his illness was unfortunate I didn't like Apple until 2013 when acquired my first iPhone.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

But that's not a fair fight at all is it?
the 5C CAME with 7.0. Of course it was great.
On the other hand 9.1 is two generations removed from the OS that 5S came with, of course it'd run slower.

What the guy is saying... iOS 9.0 is a lot smoother to older devices than iOS 7.0 and iOS 8.0 ever were, to their old devices.. And I agree...

The fair comparison would be iOS 7.0 on iPhone 4S vs iOS 9.0 on iPhone 5S.

And yes. I think iOS 9 wins.

Reactions: I7guy

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
But that's not a fair fight at all is it?
the 5C CAME with 7.0. Of course it was great.
On the other hand 9.1 is two generations removed from the OS that 5S came with, of course it'd run slower.

What the guy is saying... iOS 9.0 is a lot smoother to older devices than iOS 7.0 and iOS 8.0 ever were, to their old devices.. And I agree...

The fair comparison would be iOS 7.0 on iPhone 4S vs iOS 9.0 on iPhone 5S.

And yes. I think iOS 9 wins.
You are again missing the fact that hardware since iPhone 5S is considerably faster than iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5c. So I expected those devices to stutter. I am willing to cut Apple some slack.

My point is iPad Air 1 and Air 2, 5S, 6, have no business to stutter at any place in iOS 9. I am not including 6 Plus as we all know how crippling the upscaling and downscaling done by iOS on it is.

Those devices have handled transparency, blur, animations flawlessly on iOS versions they were released on. But once they get next iOS version, they stutter at that one magical place. To rub salts into our wounds, Apple parroted their bu*****t metal improvements for iOS 9 which appear to do no improvements to smoothness of animations.

Is iOS getting too big for itself to become unmanageable for its devs? The polish and shine has worn off since iOS 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Is that why there were even more posts from more people in more threads about lag and slow animations and all that kind of stuff (on top of just overall bad stability, performance, and bugs) in the iOS 7.0 days?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Just played around with a 5S at the local walmart that was still on display. Still running iOS 7.0 and the UI smoothness/ first impression was better than iOS 9

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just played around with a 5S at the local walmart that was still on display. Still running iOS 7.0 and the UI smoothness/ first impression was better than iOS 9
An iPhone kept in display for more than 2 years ???
Quite hard to believe .... :confused:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Yep, Apple still sells 5s , so why not, it is walmart and in backwoods area of Florida. It is next to a 6s.

Last edited:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
And what point is that? That the market for iPods died with Jobs? The problem with iPods is that no one's buying them. Almost no one wants a device that's secondary to or redundant with their iPhone.

My point was a followup to the conversation I had been having with that poster. Please go back and read the previous entries. Your comment has nothing to do with the conversation.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
What a surprise, yet another thread degenerates to the same old lag arguments back and forth, as if rehashing them for the nth time is going to result in anything new or different that what is already in plenty of other recent threads with the same thing in them.
Look in the mirror to see part of the problem...

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I contributed to this thread degenerating to anything? Perhaps basing commentary on something real would be a good place to start.
Let's start right now by basing a commentary on this real thing right here:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

So basically what you are saying is that as far your commentary in reply to the specific post I made went, there wasn't anything to it after all. Thanks for clearing that up.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

The 5s running 7.0 that I fondled today at Walmart was smoother, could not get it to stutter at all. Looks give first impression, I don't care what anyone says. Sure 9 maybe better under the hood, but it needs some shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorKrabs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.