Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
If PO is true, there's also no other smartphone to buy that offers a "better" experience, so sad pandas we shall be.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
My iPad Air 2 does have lags and they are trying to push people to buy iPad Pro by slowing Air 2 down
Just due to sheer cost difference between them the Pro and Air have limited overlap in target consumers. Apple would be very short sighted to pull such a ridiculous stunt.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just due to sheer cost difference between them the Pro and Air have limited overlap in target consumers. Apple would be very short sighted to pull such a ridiculous stunt.
If course it's ridiculous. Saying so in a public forum like this doesn't make it any more believable nor will it make people think that Apple is stupid enough to even try it

Reactions: MEJHarrison

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Why is the quoted post being attributed to me?
LMAO some forum error. We are quoting each other too much :p

I partially fixed it. Dunno how that happened. Unexplainable! Just like random stutters. :D

Last edited:

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
This is my point.. why would they purposefully slow the 6S... they've got no reason to. All that would do is anger customers and Apple doesn't want that!
And where are they trying to push people with 6s or 6s Plus phones?

If the 6s and 6s Plus have performance issues and get worse just from iOS 9.1, what does that tell me about how they will perform on iOS 13?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've been turning this over in my mind. Actually, it's been something that I've thought about ever since my first Tandy and the very first IBM PC, back before the AT and before many people posting here were born, and to keep this in-house here, the 512K Mac that my wife and had. (By the way, buying that 512K Mac in today's dollars would set you back almost $6100 before taxes.) Anyway, the solution is simple.

Let's just freeze tech products. That way, there would be no obsolescence issues. I could still be happily using my original PC and Mac 512K and they would still run as fast as they did on day one. I wouldn't have had to spend tons of money over the years on new software and new hardware, and we wouldn't have all this wailing and gnashing of teeth over "planned obsolescence" and OS upgrades that people think are stealth downgrades. It's really that simple: freeze the tech, no more obsolescence.

I think that has a lot of appeal. How about you all???

:rolleyes:

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
We know for a fact that there's at least some obsolescence. I don't really care if it's planned obsolescence or 'spontaneous' obsolescence.

The first one is bad because Apple tries to screw over customers. The second one is bad because Apple's QC is embarrassing.

Either way, it's bad.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Planned obsolescence is an obvious trait of Apple products. The rest of the industry supports their products for much longer. Especially Microsoft, who are practically saints when it comes to legacy support.

It's thanks to a loyal group of developers that I can still get use out of my PPC machines, not Apple, who ditched both Tiger and Leopard as soon as their sucessor was out. Meanwhile on Wintel machines of the same age, I can do pretty much the same stuff I can on a new machine (within reason). Hell, I can even run iTunes 12 on my Samsung XP craptop (currently running Win7). But my PowerBook G4 remains mostly stuck in 2005. All thanks to Apple.

Apple's software support stinks and I have no doubt to beleive they plan the obsolescence of their products.

Don't make the mistake of comparing PC to Mobile refreshes.If you are happy with the performance of your machines then great, not many here would be. Having a "loyal group of developers" to support your Ipaq or whatever PPC you have has nothing to do with Microsoft and is in the hobbyist faction not real world use. If you are comfortable running an unsupported XP OS then unless you have a Steve Gibson skill level, you are hanging it all out safety wise. Try putting the current Windows 10 on your Wintel , while listening to your Zune and get back to us about upgrade obsolescence and how Apple sucks. Again" within reason" sounds like a hobbyist not something most would care to deal with. When my Mac Pro 1.1 reached premature end of life software wise it pissed me off, but it still heats my office is as well as it did when new.
I keep I,t never use it just because internally/externally it is a work of art. Everything built in the last few years runs rings around it.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
We know for a fact that there's at least some obsolescence. I don't really care if it's planned obsolescence or 'spontaneous' obsolescence.

The first one is bad because Apple tries to screw over customers. The second one is bad because Apple's QC is embarrassing.

Either way, it's bad.
Not too clear on the whole capitalist business model are you. Many posts are just laughable on this.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If the 6s and 6s Plus have performance issues and get worse just from iOS 9.1, what does that tell me about how they will perform on iOS 13?

I'm not denying that there are issues, I'm saying they're down to Apple rushing development not from Apple planning it.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

I don't work for Apple and have no inside knowledge. However, a little common sense about the industry coupled with past experience allows me to make an educated guess.

If you put iOS 13 on your 6s, I'd expect it to run poorly. That would put the device in the neighborhood of 4-5 years old. I'm having a hard time thinking of an iPhone that jumped 5 OS's and has still performed well. Just like if I take my old Windows machine still running Vista and put Windows 12 on it. I'd expect that to perform rather poorly as well. That's kind of how all this tech stuff works. I wouldn't really call it "planned obsolescence" as much as I would simply call it "obsolescence".

If you wanted your iPhone 6S / 6S Plus to run well 5 years from now, you probably should plan on skipping iOS 13. And most like 12 as well with 11 being a question mark at this point in time (though I wouldn't recommend even putting iOS 11 on there if you're extremely picky and tend to notice the little things). As a general rule (Windows 10 being a good exception), newer OS's generally require more resources. It's like this with Windows. It's like this with Apple. It's like this with iOS devices. It's like that with Android devices. That's how this stuff works.

Funny related side note. I actually saw a person on a totally different forum about a month back posting about his new desktop. He had just replaced his 7 year old Mac with a brand new Windows 10 machine. And then he compared them and came to the conclusion that Mac are just about the worst thing out there and his friends were complete morons 7 years ago for suggesting a Mac when Windows is sooooo much faster. It was "plainly evident" since he could run the Mac (7 years old!) right next to his shiny new Windows machine and see the speed difference with his own eyes. When questioned about why he would compare a 7 year old machine to a brand new one, his reply was "come on guys, has technology really changed that much in the past 7 years?". Needless to say, he quickly disappeared after being informed that yes, things HAVE changed a lot in the past 7 years and it was he who was mistaken.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Windows has got leaner over time. Windows 7 was slightly faster than Vista. Windows 8/8.1 was significantly faster than 7. Windows 10 is marginally faster than 8.1. Overall, a significant improvement on the same hardware. Hardware requirements haven't increased, if anything they've gone down.

Android, with the notable exception of Lollipop, has also improved over time. KitKat lowered RAM requirements from Jelly Bean. Lollipop was then a regression in performance from KitKat, but now Marshmallow is the smoothest and slickest version of Android yet. Despite not falling, hardware requirements overall have remained stable; the Nexus 5 runs Marshmallow as well as it did KitKat when it first launched.

iOS seems to be the odd one out with its ever increasing hardware requirements.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I would posit that android has gotten better due to the fact they have faster better hardware from the get go as they have had no other way around there gross inefficiency of java. I am well aware this issue is all but mitigated however there was plenty of room for them to make things more efficient. Apple on the other hand started our very efficient and has gotten bloated as they have tacked on features left and right. They also were very stubborn on bumping up the RAM in there devices insisting they could do more with less. This is how they created this perceived planned obsolescence. I would say the 6s ram wise is what the 6 should have been. The 6s will last longer than the 5s simply because they doubled the ram. There is no technical reason for having so little ram. There is a moderate price increase. The real nice thing is it keeps there devices from having legs like there macs and having upgrade cycles go long in the tooth.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I don't work for Apple and have no inside knowledge. However, a little common sense about the industry coupled with past experience allows me to make an educated guess.

If you put iOS 13 on your 6s, I'd expect it to run poorly. That would put the device in the neighborhood of 4-5 years old. I'm having a hard time thinking of an iPhone that jumped 5 OS's and has still performed well. Just like if I take my old Windows machine still running Vista and put Windows 12 on it. I'd expect that to perform rather poorly as well. That's kind of how all this tech stuff works. I wouldn't really call it "planned obsolescence" as much as I would simply call it "obsolescence".

If you wanted your iPhone 6S / 6S Plus to run well 5 years from now, you probably should plan on skipping iOS 13. And most like 12 as well with 11 being a question mark at this point in time (though I wouldn't recommend even putting iOS 11 on there if you're extremely picky and tend to notice the little things). As a general rule (Windows 10 being a good exception), newer OS's generally require more resources. It's like this with Windows. It's like this with Apple. It's like this with iOS devices. It's like that with Android devices. That's how this stuff works.

Funny related side note. I actually saw a person on a totally different forum about a month back posting about his new desktop. He had just replaced his 7 year old Mac with a brand new Windows 10 machine. And then he compared them and came to the conclusion that Mac are just about the worst thing out there and his friends were complete morons 7 years ago for suggesting a Mac when Windows is sooooo much faster. It was "plainly evident" since he could run the Mac (7 years old!) right next to his shiny new Windows machine and see the speed difference with his own eyes. When questioned about why he would compare a 7 year old machine to a brand new one, his reply was "come on guys, has technology really changed that much in the past 7 years?". Needless to say, he quickly disappeared after being informed that yes, things HAVE changed a lot in the past 7 years and it was he who was mistaken.

It's not plain "obsolescence". An old PC with old software is obsolete because it is incapable of meeting today's needs. We're talking about fabricated, manufactured, and artificial obsolescence done by Apple where a device that works fine and actually meets the user's needs has its software needlessly changed so the experience becomes worse. When iOS 7 came out, the iPhone 4 was needlessly slowed down and there was no path to revert to iOS 6. In late 2013, iOS 6 wasn't ancient and an iPhone 4 with it during that time could easily meet basic phone needs. I'd argue that it still could if it wasn't for security issues, and the "goto fail" one seemed so convenient for Apple to get people away from iOS 6 and force them to update. iOS 7 made the experience much less pleasurable on the iPhone 4, and it didn't do much to add essential features for it either.

And the difference with putting new Windows on an old PC is that you can always choose the optimal software for that old PC. Apple does everything in their power to prevent that. Windows isn't actually the best example either, since Vista and Windows 10 are nearly 10 years apart but Windows 10 runs better and requires the same minimum hardware. If anything, Windows being able to improve performance without needing more powerful hardware really shows the problem with iOS updates. My own PC is built with parts from over 7 years ago, older than that "obsolete" Mac, and it's not choking in Windows. It's very far from being obsolete, and it meets more than just my needs. It plays GTA 5 at 45+ FPS and that game came out this year. My RAM, CPU and motherboard are from 2008 and my GPU is from 2010. Windows very well could have just been faster than the Mac because Microsoft has actually been optimizing it ever since the Vista performance disaster. iOS 7 was Apple's Vista, with unneeded changes that required more powerful hardware.

Another difference is that Vista was completely optional. Imagine if in 2007, Microsoft forced Vista on all the XP users just because XP would be obsolete in 2014.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Undoubtedly the absolute truth. It's so clearly true that you don't even need any kind of factual backup. We could save a lot of trouble around here if people would just accept statements like this as the truth.
Here are the facts
1.iPad Air 2 did not have a single stutter on iOS 8.4.1.Fact
2.iPad Air 2 does stutter on iOS 9.Fact
3.The tablet can run all of the most demanding iMovie edits without lags.Fact
4.The OS lag starts when iPad Pro is released.Fact

See what I am getting at?

@Cakefish Exactly.Marshmallow didn't slow down my Nexus.In Windows and Android none of the OS updates slow down the device.ios,is the odd one out

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Here are the facts

@Cakefish Exactly.Marshmallow didn't slow down my Nexus.In Windows and Android none of the OS updates slow down the device.ios,is the odd one out

Thankfully, iOS 8.2 Beta 3 looks promising. The multitasking stutter has been smoothed out. It's not perfect yet, but early testing shows significant improvement there.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Here are the facts

My air 2 ran stutter free out of the box on iOS 8.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.