Carrier Please All iPhones 2019 should be 5G iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WillRRRR, Jun 2, 2019.

1. WillRRRR macrumors member

WillRRRR

• My parents liked 5G Cellular.
    • I don't want my parents to have more waiting for 5G Cellular.
    • Most rumors say iPhones 2019 has still 4G LTE, not 5G.
    • Please put 5G into All iPhones 2019 and 2020.
    • iPhone 2019 instead of 2020 should be the first 5G iPhone.
    • iPhone 2020 should get the 1TB option, but iPhone 2019 won't have this option.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

How short our memories have become. Remember when LTE launched? The HTC Thunderbolt had 10 minutes of battery life.

Apple should wait until the technology is ready and they can manage the power consumption. Until then, LTE should be sufficient for most applications.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I'm not opposed to the latest technologies, but the rush to be the "first" isn't Apple's way
    And I'm not concerned about that, because what I have does everything I need at the moment
    Bring the tech when it is the "best" not the "first"

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I would hope that, by the time the 2020 models come out, the Qualcomm solution along with antennas support multiple carriers of 5G. The Samsung S10 5G is currently a Verizon exclusive.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You are aware that this is a user to user forum right?

While Apple employees **may** visit here, there is no guarantee that Apple is getting your message and that it's being delivered to the people at Apple that can make that actually happen.

In short, we are not Apple and if you want to have your message delivered to Apple you should go and talk to Apple.

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

2019 ain’t gonna happen. 2020 is even doubtful. People nowadays really cannot wait for a few more years for more mature 5G when the timing is right, yet they keep their existing phone longer and longer.

8. pika2000 macrumors 601

Please show wether your parents actually have real 5G coverage where they are.

9. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

1TB iPhones might be coming in 2019. 5G ones won’t. Period.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It will not help even if Apple did do 5G in 2019 as 5G will take years to grow.

America does not even have a 5G standard or equipment maker at this time.

So there is no way AApple will have 5G this year.

11. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

The need to upgrade yearly is dwindling for myself personally and being an early adopter of 5G won't sway that.

12. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

5G is being used around some areas of the UK atm and there’s also various 5G phones doing the rounds

I’d like to see Apple launch a 5G device this year even if it’s not widespread it’s still good to have especially if your in areas that you can use it just like it was with 4G

13. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Not going to happen and not needed. Next.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

How many people are even going to have access to 5G before 2020 anyway?

15. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Not that many.
    Ordered a mobile router with a 5g subscription to test 5g around London, but I’m not very optimistic.

It’s also going to take a couple of generations before anyone has a truly global 5g phone with all the global 5g bands.

16. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I dunno. How fast is 5g supposed to be? Everyone says the att 5g tag on the Xs is fake. But my speed tests have some very good results.

Attached Files:

17. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

Supposedly up to 1Gbps, but LTE-Advanced (aka AT&T's 5GE) can still get in the hundreds of Mbps (which on a phone out in the wild is probably overkill).

I think it will be awhile before we see a 5G iPhone simply because Apple wants to get it right on their end and not have to make a bigger/bulkier phone with worse battery life. For real 5G in advertised markets, it's still a slow rollout (I'm in a market that has it from two carriers, but it's like 3 blocks in two neighborhoods). At the rate they're going, by the time it's blanketed the entire metro area, I'll be on whatever phone is replacing the 2019 model (and that's not even an every year replacement). The higher-frequency stuff that Verizon is doing is going to need a lot of infrastructure changes to cover long distances. I think AT&T is using that, too, but also heard they might run 5G on 850MHz (the frequency used for their old 2G network), which should travel quite a distance.

That's not to say Apple shouldn't be content with LTE, but just like in 2010-2011, a lot of LTE phones were rushed out and were bulky with poor battery life to use in a few small areas. Once the iPhone 5 was released, the networks were well-built and the device didn't feel like an early-adopter compromise.

Apple may also hold off to see what frequencies the various carriers are building 5G on so that they can make a universal phone. If you recall, when T-Mobile started rolling out LTE Band 12, iPhones didn't have it and performed poorly—going from a 6 (didn't have it) to a 6S (did have it) in some areas made a dramatic improvement in being able to get a signal.

18. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Not until the technology is fully mature.

Why do you want to drive up the cost of the phone before the technology is mature and deployed everywhere? That is, if the components of 5G are pricier than current technology.

I, and many others, would be paying for something we won't even be able to use.

No thanks.

I'm with whatever MCK says.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

A fair number, but not enough to write home about. Austin is a big city and we won't have it soon

20. WingsAndBeer macrumors newbie

WingsAndBeer

Smaller manufacturing process is cheaper. I don't recall the iPhone 5 having an increased price despite having LTE, either.

21. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

5G coverage hasn’t even reached 1% of the population. Tell me why we need it in 2019 or 2020?

22. taoisawesome macrumors newbie

23. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Speaking of battery and 5G. I suspect 5G is going to suck some power for sure. Phone will need to be thicker to hold more battery and charged often.

5G is not going to "sip" power!

25. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

battery life should not be as big of a deal as people think because of how it uses the spectrum more efficiently. Similar to wifi in terms of 802.11ac and the new 802.11ax (aka wifi 6) doesn't have an increase in power.