Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
battery life should not be as big of a deal as people think because of how it uses the spectrum more efficiently. Similar to wifi in terms of 802.11ac and the new 802.11ax (aka wifi 6) doesn't have an increase in power.
But the current generation of 5G chips are quite large and do require extra power as they’re separate from the current 4G/3G modems. Extra power is definitely required. Even Qualcomm showed on their own roadmap that it’s not until later generations that the chips (and antennas) get smaller and more integrated.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
  • My parents liked 5G Cellular.
  • I don't want my parents to have more waiting for 5G Cellular.
  • Most rumors say iPhones 2019 has still 4G LTE, not 5G.
  • Please put 5G into All iPhones 2019 and 2020.
  • iPhone 2019 instead of 2020 should be the first 5G iPhone.
  • iPhone 2020 should get the 1TB option, but iPhone 2019 won't have this option.
chasing the specs but not seeing the real world usage?
5G is not ready, won't be for a while.
And because of the lawsuit we already know it won't happen this year. It would be major surprise.
I for one actually don't want 5G in my phone to be honest. I really don't like the health hazard aspects of it.
Everyone is rushing it and yet it wasn't even properly tested.
Anyway, 5G this year is 99% not gonna happen.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
  • iPhone 2020 should get the 1TB option, but iPhone 2019 won't have this option.
Uh.....ok.

Do your parents like prunes?

Reactions: Shawn Llewellyn

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I remember back when we got LTE. Verizon was the first and they advertised LTE being available.

They had 1 tower in 1 downtown location. I think I can wait for the phone as the service will be much later.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Some people purchase items solely based on a branding or marketing scheme. And because the iPhone 11 does not have 5G it is inferior to something that does have 5G. That is the mindset of a lot of people.

Honestly I might see 5G in 5 years if I’m lucky..

I would happily buy any new top of the line device and not worry one bit whether or not it has 5G.

I’m ok with 60-100MBPS LTE.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You're right, whether he's correct or not makes no difference because he's pushed everyone away and positioned himself as some untouchable expert. ;)
It really depends on how an individual perceive the status of someone when discussing a topic. For me, what he says is right and his attitude is ok. For you, you are not comfortable because of the reason you stated. At the end of the day, nothing will happen and he may still be liked by a dozen people, maybe just not you.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
How many people are even going to have access to 5G before 2020 anyway?
I know we won't for sure. 4G LTE at least started in Philly and still took years to come to us. 5G doesn't even start in Philly or much anywhere else close to us.
[doublepost=1567631676][/doublepost]
If I have to wait as long for the networks to get even half decent 5G coverage, as I did for 4G, or for that matter 3G. I can probably do without it for at least a couple more years.
Exactly. Theoretical LTE would be more than sufficient, but not when you are getting sub 10mbps most of the time.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Can someone please educate me and tell me why people are obsessing over getting 5G on their iPhones? Is it just because of the speed? Is there better coverage with 5G? I have LTE and I honestly have zero complaints. Its very fast and reliable. At least for me anyways. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Reactions: ericwn

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Because they are silly and chasing numbers. I can stream 4K TV at home on my Apple TV 4K and 65" TV with 60Mb/s Xfinity service. Why these people think they need faster than 100Mb/s LTE on their phones is beyond me. If they are getting slow LTE speeds now because of overcrowding or poorly located towers etc, it isn't going to get much better with 5G. It might get faster at first when only a few people have phones working on it, but it will quickly get overcrowded just the same as others upgrade their phones.

I personally believe they Cellular providers should be beefing up their LTE service, adding new towers and bandwidth, covering more area with faster LTE speeds etc. Rather than chasing new specs so they can brag about being the first or fastest in limited locations.

Reactions: ericwn

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Because they are silly and chasing numbers. I can stream 4K TV at home on my Apple TV 4K and 65" TV with 60Mb/s Xfinity service. Why these people think they need faster than 100Mb/s LTE on their phones is beyond me. If they are getting slow LTE speeds now because of overcrowding or poorly located towers etc, it isn't going to get much better with 5G. It might get faster at first when only a few people have phones working on it, but it will quickly get overcrowded just the same as others upgrade their phones.

I personally believe they Cellular providers should be beefing up their LTE service, adding new towers and bandwidth, covering more area with faster LTE speeds etc. Rather than chasing new specs so they can brag about being the first or fastest in limited locations.
Exactly my thoughts. Also, it seems like the very few carriers that DO offer 5G, the 5G service gets blocked and the speed lowers drastically, unless your in a direct line of sight.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Can someone please educate me and tell me why people are obsessing over getting 5G on their iPhones? Is it just because of the speed? Is there better coverage with 5G? I have LTE and I honestly have zero complaints. Its very fast and reliable. At least for me anyways. I feel like I'm missing something here.
The area where 5G benefits the most is IoT and the entire smart home bs that I can’t care even less. For IoT, the 5G May enable trillions of devices being connected to the network and communicate with each other, whereas 4G can’t. It can also achieve lower latency, which is critical for auto driving cars. Speed bump is only a bonus that won’t last forever, and after 5G being overcrowded, it wouldn’t be better off using now-Less-crowded 4G to achieve high speed.
The hard truth however, is faster download speed is pretty much the only thing regular customers can feel and ISPs can brag about with ad bombardment. Yet, 5G for smartphone has a way less impact than 4G for smartphone for most average users, at least for the next few years.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
5g is meaningless. i am the most feature hungry guy you can imagine and 5g is over hyped.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Why? 5G is fools gold. Doesn’t actually do anything. A web page won’t load any faster and you can already stream 4K. It’s a shorter bandwidth that sucks.

Reactions: digthewell

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
5G in a blanketed coverage is years away
While some cities will have spot coverage a lot more infastructure needs to be put in. This is not simply converting towers to 5G

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It really depends on how an individual perceive the status of someone when discussing a topic. For me, what he says is right and his attitude is ok. For you, you are not comfortable because of the reason you stated. At the end of the day, nothing will happen and he may still be liked by a dozen people, maybe just not you.

Thank You mate. :)
[doublepost=1567693378][/doublepost]
I know we won't for sure. 4G LTE at least started in Philly and still took years to come to us. 5G doesn't even start in Philly or much anywhere else close to us.
[doublepost=1567631676][/doublepost]
Exactly. Theoretical LTE would be more than sufficient, but not when you are getting sub 10mbps most of the time.

Lol. Even 4G is still patchy in South Delhi and CP, the most posh areas in the capital of India. And it’s so patchy that you got to carry at least two sim devices, who knows what will work. Lol.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
We just got fake unlimited plans back with LTE, now the carriers are going to charge extra for something that doesn’t even work in most places. I couldn’t care less either way, including it or not including it. 5G will have more of an impact on IoT type devices than cellphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.