Please Apple let us remove the bloat!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cRuNcHiE, Sep 20, 2014.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Why must we have apps like 'stocks', 'newstand' and now 'podcasts' and 'tips' and 'health' forced on us?

It's getting a bit bloated!

I am never likely to use any of these yet we can't delete them.

You have an App store for downloading these types of things!

Is it time we got a petition going!?!

2. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

Agreed. Hopefully by iOS9 Apple move to follow Google's approach with this and decouple these apps from the OS. Not only could we then pick and choose what we want but this would have the additional upshot of allowing them to update them asynchronously from iOS. Given iOS8's strides towards a more open and 3rd party extension friendly platform, this remains one of the few areas in which I see them lagging behind Android at this point.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

They definitely added more apps than they used to. Podcasts and iBooks used to be optional. I feel like Health should be optional too since it's useless to iPhone 5 users without a Watch or Fitbit. Maybe it works for those that use running apps, but I can't find a use except for keeping my emergency info easy to access.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It isn't bloatware. They are simply stock apps that are part of the OS, that you don't have any interest in using. Continue to swipe right by them. Not a big deal.

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Furthermore, bloatware has negative effects on system performance. The number of apps installed has absolutely zero affect on system performance, therefore the pre-installed apps are not bloatware. I do think it would be nice for Apple to have a page in the Settings app that allows you to hide those apps from the home screen, however.

6. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is bloatware because it is making the OS bigger than it needs to be.

They are not crucial to the functionality of ios, unlike the App store app or settings, messages etc

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I agree that iOS isn't "bloated".

Every modern OS (except iOS iPad :mad: ) includes some kind of calculator. Weather and Stocks are just convenient apps to have on hand. iBooks, iTunes, and the App Store all link to Apple's major three online stores. I've never understood why iBooks wasn't there by default.

I agree that Podcast, Tips, and Newstand really should be apps presented to you when you set up your phone, but not preinstalled. To me Tips should be something in Settings. Still, just drop them in a "Utilities" folder and move on.

8. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I just make a folder names "Apple" and move all those unwanted Apple apps inside it.done.

9. Padmini macrumors 6502a

No. I am thrilled that Apple doesn't allow unappreciative whiners like you to delete the quality apps they design and bundle with the device. Put them in a folder, move it to a lonely page on your home screen and be done with it.

A petition. Good grief.

10. Imory macrumors 6502a

I feel they all will serve a significant service, with the exception of "tips". I cannot believe they've given us an app which is useful for about 2 min and it can't be deleted. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the thought (so did I) but they should have surely given us the option to delete it afterwards.

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Podcasts was originally part of iTunes on iPhone OS and disappeared on iOS 5. I'm glad it's back.

12. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple have plenty of apps, iphoto, pages, numbers etc that I use but they are not forced upon me.

Why should tips, newstand and stocks of all things be forced on users?

Furthermore, by making them optional it doesn't stop you from getting them so what's with the attitude?

13. matttye macrumors 601

When the base model is still 16GB then being able to remove unwanted stock apps could make a big difference.

Should be able to remove podcasts, iBooks, stocks, weather, newsstand, at least.

14. blueflower macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP, we the users should be able to remove some of these apps. What value do they really serve except as a way for Apple to try and get more people to buy content through them?
    Those who find them useful that is great, for those that do not it would be great if we could uninstall them.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No option to buy from stocks. Podcasts are free

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Next, you'll want the OS to have absolutely nothing except Settings... Technically that's the only app you "need".

17. matttye macrumors 601

I think you'll agree that some apps are less crucial than others.

Podcasts, iBooks, newsstand, stocks, all of these should be optional. They're not embedded in the OS in any way and not everyone needs them.

Things like messages, Mail, FaceTime etc are understandably embedded as they're part of the central feature set.

Those other apps should be optional installs as lots of people don't need or want them.

18. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

Swear. Some of you Apple nuthuggers are amazing, lol. "Pfft. I don't need the option to delete something I don't use. It is a great app. Just hide it in a folder." Uhh, what? :rolleyes:

To be fair, Google has certain apps that you can't delete either. HOWEVER, there is an option to disable them. That way they are still on the device, but they are 'hidden' from view. They don't show up in the app drawer, but if you want to use it in the future a simple trek into settings will re-enable it.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I can argue not everyone needs FaceTime, Mail or Messages. Some people use Skype, WeChat, WhatsApp, Gmail, etc. I can also argue that reading books or magazines on a smartphone is part of the central feature set. Or listening/watching podcasts. And so forth.

How crucial each app is is not solely determined by you or me or anyone in this thread. It's determined by the end user (which number in millions or billions). The premise and logic of this thread can go both ways. The only logical solution is to put nothing on there except Settings and App Store. Settings to change how the device functions and App Store to get all the apps you want and need. Technically, everything else besides these two are needed.

20. Kuroz macrumors member

Its pretty annoying. I have a folder called junk where I stick even the settings app into. That tip app is the most annoying too. Why is that not removable lol

21. andrewket macrumors regular

And the AppStore. Although I guess technically you could side-load everything.

22. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

The only logical solution would be to provide options to the end users that spend the money on the devices and the apps to support the companies making the products. Hiding them in a folder still doesn't prevent the 1-2gb of space that apps take up that I can't remove.

23. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Facetime ( Video calling) , Messages ( Text and iMessage) and Mail (email) , are all communication apps.

Considering iPads and iPhones were spawned from smartphones which in turn came from (dumb)phones who's sole purpose was for communication and they in turn could do video calling, text messaging and email it is not unreasonable to bake these into the core of the OS.

Internet browsing is also a core feature of a smart phone so safari is also fine but choice would be good (apple doesn't allow other browser apps to use the nitro engine)

I'd say any extra service apps exclusive to apple should probably be optional downloads or at least have the option to be removed. Or would you be fine with garageband being installed on every idevice by default. Afterall pro-audio recording is one of apples biggest 'things'.

There is no harm in having choice so why people like you would oppose it baffles me.

24. matttye macrumors 601

Fine, I can get on board with those two being the only mandatory apps.

There should be a simply way in the settings to reinstall stock apps without having to go through the App Store.

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I do agree with this. One of the things I likeabout apple was the little amount of bloat. Not so much anymore.