Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenniferg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2021
Hello

I think my partition map is corrupted? can anyone help with my hard drive and using fsck or similar as disk utility cannot repair and I have tried fsck but need help with the process of it

And to see if disk is being held by fsck_msdos or fsck_exfat command - tried ps aux | grep to see if need to kill process but don't know what to kill.

Partition in msdos format was called my book and now disk2s2 since a black screen crash so I unplugged it before a force restart.
Partition with Time Machine backup is still operational but was not mounted at time of crash.

tried diskutil but at some point it said it would erase disk1s1, so I did not proceed incase it wiped everything. Have tried fsck_msdos and fsck_exfat but don't understand outcomes. Also how to use it in single user mode

Often I have trouble with drives not mounting and eventually it works but not this time.

Data is not backed up but has my entire digital life on it, I was transferring from small drives and then was to back it up once they were empty.

Tried reading forums and too hard to follow without help.

Volume type : Unknown

BSD device node : disk2s2

File system : MS-DOS (FAT)

Connection : USB

Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14

Writable : No

Is case-sensitive : No

Volume capacity : 6,699,769,397,248

Owners enabled : No

Is encrypted : No

Can be verified : Yes

Can be repaired : Yes

Bootable : No

Journalled : No

Disk number : 2

Partition number : 2

Media name :

Media type : Generic

Ejectable : Yes

Solid state : No

S.M.A.R.T. status : Not Supported

Parent disks : disk2

Running First Aid on “” (disk2s2)

Repairing file system.

Volume is already unmounted.

Performing fsck_msdos -y /dev/rdisk2s2

** /dev/rdisk2s2

Invalid sector size: 0

File system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as unmounted.

File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…

Please help, I am hoping I do not need to send it to a data recovery as it has cost me $800 in the past.

this is one forum of a few I have been reading

https://gist.github.com/scottopell/595717f0f77ef670f75498bd01f8cab1

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.