Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Hi, I'm lost, I wanted to reset my MacBook Pro retina back to factory reset. However, when I erased the startup disk I did not back up anything because I did not have anything valuble to save. Now, when I try to reinstall macOS Sierra I am unable to select the "OS X Base System" HD. It's says "this disk is locked," and I'm unable to install it. Is there anything that I can do to fix this issue?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
OS X base system is the recovery OS bit IIRC. Basically sounds like you need to create a new volume in Disk Utility for the OS to install to as you won't be able to install onto that.

Go into Disk Utility and you should see an indented partition under your SSD which is about the size of your total drive. If you don't see anything there you'll need to create a new partition.

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
IMG_1204.JPG
This is what I see appearing on my screen

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Try clicking the APPLE SSD SM01.. , I reformatted my Mini recently and I think that's where I had to select because I could do any kind of partitioning. To put it simply, the SSD is the base container, while the OS X Base System is just a partition. I think.

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
IMG_1205.JPG
Ok. When I click the Apple SSD everything is greyed out. I'm only able to select first aid, partition, and info.

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
IMG_1207.JPG
I tried to make a new partition but it does not allow me to do so.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think the issue there is you have done a command-r boot to the local disk based recovery, and you cannot format the drive since you are still booted to it.

Reboot and hold command-option-r to get to Internet recovery. After selecting your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Then you will see the recovery screen. Now use Disk Util to erase the drive by selected where is says Apple SSD at the top there then erasing.

Reactions: splifingate

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I think the issue there is you have done a command-r boot to the local disk based recovery, and you cannot format the drive since you are still booted to it.

Reboot and hold command-option-r to get to Internet recovery. After selecting your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Then you will see the recovery screen. Now use Disk Util to erase the drive by selected where is says Apple SSD at the top there then erasing.

Ok, after I restarted my mac using the command-option-r I recieived a message apple.com/support with an error code "-2002F"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, after I restarted my mac using the command-option-r I recieived a message apple.com/support with an error code "-2002F"
That is usually because you are one a type of wifi setup not supported by Internet recovery. Can you just open up the wifi network with no password or anything to get this done?

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
That is usually because you are one a type of wifi setup not supported by Internet recovery. Can you just open up the wifi network with no password or anything to get this done?
That's going to be a problem because

I'm in a furnished apartment in Colombia and the wifi came already set up. I tried to ask the owner about this before to unlock it but he will not authorize me to do so. It's difficult to persuade him to do so because I don't speak Spanish very well and he doesn't really understand me. Is there no other solution to this problem without a specific wifi setup?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there no other solution to this problem without a specific wifi setup?

No sorry. You are going to need to get on wifi that is supported by Internet recovery. WPA (most common) is supported. WPA enterprise and WEP are not supported. I doubt an apartment has WPA enterprise, so they may be on the older and less secure WEP. If that is the case, maybe you can sweet talk them into setting it to WPA by explaining it is better and more secure?

Fordornothing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
ok. Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. If not I will try to find an Apple Store here and see if they can help me out.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.