PLEASE Help!! Need advice on purchasing Macbook Pro right now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emarnik, Mar 2, 2016.

  1. emarnik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2016
    #1
    So i'm THIS close to clicking this button to order this 15inch Macbook Pro:


    2.5GHz Processor
    512 GB Storage

    • 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz memory
    • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    • AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Built-in battery (9 hours)2
    • Force Touch trackpad
    Pulled that off the site of course lol Ordinarily I would just click buy and wait at the door for my laptop. Well beings that its March I KNOW we're close to a new updated model coming out soon. Probably May or soon after. Which brings me to my dilemma... What are we expected to be updated that will make it advisable to wait 2-3 months for? This is a harsh comparison but its not like going from the first original iPhone to iPhone 4, right? I also want to say that when you make a purchase from them like this, if they release an updated product they'll allow you the price difference in a gift card or something similar? Was that just a dream I had one day where they did that? lol Or real life?

    Hoping that someone can help me out with this dilemma. :-/
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    I'd wait at this point, you're only a few weeks away.

    If you're within the 14 day return period, they'll probably exchange the model, I don't think they'll do anything on the price.
     
  3. emarnik thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2016
    #3
    And what are we expecting the new update to have? Are we "just" due for a processor upgrade? I hate to downplay it like that but... crap idk -_-
     
  4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #4
    If you absolutely NEED one now, buy one now.

    Otherwise, if you buy today, I sense you're going to be VERY disappointed within 4-8 weeks!
     
  5. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #5
    Whatever you buy will be outdated soon enough. Something better and newer is always just around the corner.

    If you have to ask whether the upgrade would be worth it, chances are you don't need it.
     
  6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #6
    Well you want a dGPU obviously and that is what will make most difference if you wait. AMD are due to bring out vastly improved graphics cards, also the integrated graphics on the skylake will be a big boost over haswell, thunderbolt 3 might be useful if an external GPU or 5K screen is in your future, the screen may also get more of a boost with P3 colour like the 5k and 4K iMac.
     
  7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

    richwoodrocket

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Location:
    Hamburg, NY
    #7
    Just buy it. It will become outdated eventually anyways.
     
  8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

    Clix Pix

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    #8
    It depends on what is important to you. If you like what the current machine has to offer, go with it, but if you're really hoping for some changes that may or may not happen in the next iteration, then wait. If the new machines don't have what you want after all, then you've still got the opportunity to buy this model at a slightly lower price once the new ones are available. I've got the very model you're thinking about, described above, and I love it. This thing runs circles around my old 2012 iMac and the screen is gorgeous. The 512 GB capacity is fine for me, but I've also supplemented it with a 1 TB external SSD as well. I wanted the discrete graphics, and I also was concerned that Apple might start removing ports and I really wanted all of the ports that this rMBP has. There are times when I am using both USB ports simultaneously, for instance. I don't use an external monitor with this rMBP but wanted the option to do that in the future, which is one reason why I did not purchase another iMac instead. I made the decision to buy this machine back in December, even though I knew that there would be new models coming along eventually; in the meantime I have had the pleasure of using this machine over the past several months and will be continuing to do so, no longer concerned about the release of the next version.
     
  9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

    Mlrollin91

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ventura County
    #9
    MacBooks (MB,MBP,MBA) are usually updated at WWDC in June. Apple is probably waiting on Skylake processors at this point. I believe they were just released.
     
  10. emarnik thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2016
    #10
    Great point lol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2016 ---
    I have an 2010 iMac currently. Its 27inches. I'm sure a 5K screen would blow my old slightly better than 1080p out of the water. But i'm not that big on that aspect of it, as I am just on the sheer size. So at times I plan on connecting thru the mini-display port. I've also read the GPU will help out most on video editing. Although I plan on getting more into that in the future... right now i'm not pressed on that need.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2016 ---
    Thank you all for your responses. Im a long time watcher on this forum but this is my first post. LIke someone said above, i'm already close to making my mind up just going ahead and copping it now. You're right I may end up losing a port or 2 if Apple decides on streamlining. The only thing purchasing it right now instead of then looks to be that I may miss out on the price drops of the existing hardware to make room for the new stuff.
     
  11. Zellio macrumors 65816

    Zellio

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    #11
    \
    You know that they didn't update the processor on last years 15" macbook pro right? You'll be 2 generations behind when they do.
     
  12. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

    sporadicMotion

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    Location:
    Your girlfriends place
    #12
    I'm in the same exact boat with the exact same machine. I'm just gonna wait. If your current computer turns on and does the job for now, what's a couple weeks? If nothing new hits by the end of March, just do it (my plan :p)
     
  13. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    #13
    At this point it really doesn't matter. Mobile CPU updates focus more on battery life than anything else, performance has basically flat lined since 2012.
     
  14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #14
  15. Zellio macrumors 65816

    Zellio

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    #15
    It should still mean 10-30% performance increase +, with the possibility of them adding thunderbolt 3 and usb 3.1 (Either with 5 gb or 10), far better intel gpu, far faster flash drive, ddr4

    Unless you get a really good deal on a current one you'd kinda have to be a fool to get 2 year old technology at a new price. Esp. since macbook pros are already kinda overpriced..
     
  16. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    Maybe, or maybe a complete design. Who knows. My point is, that you may end up regretting the purchase because you had not deferred. If you can wait, there's really no harm in waiting to see what Apple does.
     
  17. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

    Dydegu

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #17
    "Something better is always around the corner" isn't always the answer and really doesn't help anyone make a purchasing decision.

    This isn't just a refresh we're expecting. Apple set the bar very high with the design language of the rMB last year. Chances are, the new MacBook Pros will be redesigned to match the rMB. This means a new keyboard, improved battery due to the new sheet technology, and color options. Couple that with Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, and you have a great level of future-proofing. That's the easy stuff. Who knows if we'll get Touch ID? Apple Pencil support on the trackpad?

    If any wait in the recent history of the MBP was worth it, it's this one.
     
  18. Yuuta macrumors newbie

    Yuuta

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2016
    #18
    nMB's design sucks
     
  19. Zellio macrumors 65816

    Zellio

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    #19
    Yeahhhhhhh I'd rather not have one port
     

Share This Page