*** Please Help *** Stolen product

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sstevens, Dec 9, 2013.

1. sstevens macrumors member

This is an iPod but I need some immediate help and there are a ton of viewers in this thread.

So i was in a car accident last thursday. My car is at a car dealership and has been there since friday. I went there today to grab my iPod touch (32GB) and headphones and such to go to gym. I get home to charge it and I notice the screen doesnt read my finger swipe. I look on back and it's an 8GB! I plug it in and open iTunes and its registered to someone named Junior. I call the dealership and ask for Services dept. I ask for someone named Junior...they say its a nickname for some mexican dude...I speak with him personally. He denies and just has this blatant thief excuse but obviously was smart enough to swap a broken iPod for my working one thinking that no one was going to get in my car for maybe a week.

I have the serial number of this device but I think mine is registered to an old apple account. Is there anyway to get more proof that this is HIS and any information that the serial number can provide? This is such ************.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What more proof do you need?

Tell the dealership the situation and that, if they're not willing to rectify it, that you're going to the police and will file a report.

Problem will likely fix itself VERY quickly after that.

3. sstevens thread starter macrumors member

I did call them and spoke to manager. She said she believed me (insinuating he is a sketchy employee). If I don't hear from them tomorrow then I will use that 'threat' regarding the police. This may be a small theft but when I personally have zero tolerance when it is this obvious.

4. Beezy253, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

Beezy253 macrumors 6502

IMO, you should show up at the dealership, if the Manager is unwilling to help, call the police and file a police report, then report the theft to your insurance company.

I would also ask for contact info to the Owners of the Dealership.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The police are unlikely to care for an iPod Touch or even an iPhone. You will be able to file a report, but the cops won't do anything; they don't have resources. It's just like having your apartment burglarized - they will take a report and perhaps take a look, but nothing's going to happen.

I'd go to the owner of the dealership and perhaps also send a letter to the car manufacturer complaining about shady practices (allowing customer property tot be stolen).

7. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I'd be curious to hear how this ends up. I'm sure he loses his job since there is no way you would know the employee name and have proof with the iPod info right there. The company probably will buy you a new one to make it right as well. They should at least.

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Police don't generally do much when there is little they can do. Sure if you come home and the burglar is gone there is not much they can do. But come home and the burglar is still in the house? The police will indeed act. Ditto for a string of burglaries in a concentrated area.

In this case the likely guilty party is known. I doubt the police would simply take a report and not, at the least, talk to that person.

Michael

9. 960design macrumors 68000

I've been assisted with a stolen iPad. Sheriff's department went right to the location where the device was turned on momentarily, found the thief. He admitted to selling it to someone and that was who turned it on. The thief was arrested and has been prosecuted for two felonies.

10. sstevens thread starter macrumors member

I called the local police department and they basically said something about me making sure I know what I'm doing and not just trolling everyone to get a free new iPod and then it would be a 'civil' problem.

I'm heading to the dealership now.

Just to clarify, there is no way to track this iPod if/when it gets turned on or to put the Find my iPod/iPhone app on it through cloud? I don't even have the serial of it since it was registered under an old iTunes account/APPLE ID that I no longer use and don't have password to right now...It would be nice to at least have that confirmation on its geographical location but I am more than 99% sure this guy is the guy. Since of course, I already called yesterday and spoke with him personally which I think I kinda shot myself in the foot because it could be anywhere now. Here we go...

11. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I think the dealership will take care of you and that you need to take screenshots with his name on his device. I also think going forward you need to better maintain your devices software and common sense wise. On the software side, you should be using the proper iTunes account and have find my phone turned on on all your devices. This way if something is missing, you can easily track it via website if its turned on. Secondly, always remove important items from your vehicle or property when you have others working on it. People can be dishonest, so don't make it easy for them to be.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Best way to avoid the problem! I'm careful to leave nothing of value in the car when I leave it for service. I have a few dollars in coins for parking meters though, but I don't worry about that.

I see cars in parking lots with GPS devices and phones in plain view. Sometimes women even leave their purses in the cars.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How is the guy's nationality relevant?

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

How is his sex relevant?

(Answer: it paints a picture. Makes the incident more interesting to strangers reading it on this forum...)

15. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

You need to pressure the manager to handle this. Rogue employees exist, and you shouldn't have to pay for employee theft.

16. scidoc macrumors newbie

Get serial number from Apple Store

I had a wonky iPod Classic that I took to the Apple Store two weeks ago. It was out of warranty and unfixable, but they offered me a new one for $129, which I took. The work bar paperwork included the serial number of the old device, and I know that wasn't registered anywhere. Try taking the other guy's iPod to your nearest Apple Store and tell them what happened. Maybe they can pull up his info…Or you tell them your various apple id's and see if they can find your device that way.

17. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Update?

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just saying…

While your car is at the dealership, both the car and the contents are in their care and it is their responsibility. Legally, your iPod wasn't stolen from you (and tough luck for you if you try to get it back), it was stolen from the car dealership (and tough luck from them if they try to get it back).

Now if the car dealership is dishonest that's not much of help to you because they can deny that anything happened just as well as the thief can, but if they are honest then it is their problem, not yours.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

As long as the dealership has your car are you certain you want to make waves? Car is more valuable than the device.

20. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Thats the dumbest reply i have ever heard :rolleyes:

21. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Update???

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Well what if they spit in your antifreeze?

Mike

23. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If iCloud and Find My iPhone were not enabled on the iPod prior to this incident, then Find My iPhone will be of no use to you. You can't add it to a device that is not in your possession.

If it's enabled, your first issue is resetting the password for that old Apple ID. As long as you still have access to the email account used for that Apple ID (or the rescue email address, if you used one), it's pretty straightforward - go to http://iforgot.apple.com and get to work.

Once you have the password, you can sign into the account at http://iCloud.com and take advantage of the various Find My iPhone features - "Lost Mode" is normally the right choice.

The Find My iPhone app can also be used, from another iOS device. The app's purpose is to locate other iOS devices - it does nothing to protect the device(s) it's been installed on.

Regardless, Find My iPhone may be of limited help. Locating the iPod with Find My iPhone requires that the iPod be connected to a wifi network, and that the iPod hasn't already been erased. (If the iPod has either iOS 5 or 6, the person can erase it - if it has iOS 7, then it can't be erased so long as Find My iPhone has been enabled.)

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

Sorry it's seems stupid to you. Perhaps it's regional. Dealerships in my area play by winter rules.

25. tomtanojevic macrumors member

you need wifi to do that!