Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Whereas when I read the proper noun Cambridge, I assume automatically that this describes - or, refers to - the ancient university town in England. This was the original, after all, after which any others were named.

I'll be the first to admit that Americans can be arrogant, but this language would be an example of European arrogance, *if* it were spoken by someone from there. I don't have a full list of places named Cambridge, yet I'm to assume they are all named after the one in England. This is kind of like just expecting everyone to assume "Brest" means the city in France.

When I hear Cambridge, I think of Massachusetts. I grew up in Massachusetts, went to school for a year in Boston, and my daughter lived in Cambridge for a while. Even with all that, I can't muster the energy to find it irksome when someone just writes "Cambridge", even though they mean the one in England.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll be the first to admit that Americans can be arrogant, but this language would be an example of European arrogance, *if* it were spoken by someone from there. I don't have a full list of places named Cambridge, yet I'm to assume they are all named after the one in England. This is kind of like just expecting everyone to assume "Brest" means the city in France.

When I hear Cambridge, I think of Massachusetts. I grew up in Massachusetts, went to school for a year in Boston, and my daughter lived in Cambridge for a while. Even with all that, I can't muster the energy to find it irksome when someone just writes "Cambridge", even though they mean the one in England.

Precisely because the university town of Cambridge is older - the other urban centres subsequently named Cambridge were all named for the original Cambridge - it is the only one that does not usually require the qualifier of a country; when you say Cambridge, most people (especially outside of the US, above all, in Europe) will automatically assume that you are referring to the ancient English university town.

Now, by adding the qualifer "Mass", one makes clear that the Cambridge to which you refer is the place in North America.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Precisely because the university town of Cambridge is older - the other urban centres subsequently named Cambridge were all named for the original Cambridge - it is the only one that does not usually require the qualifier of a country; when you say Cambridge, most people (especially outside of the US, above all, in Europe) will automatically assume that you are referring to the ancient English university town.

Now, by adding the qualifer "Mass", one makes clear that the Cambridge to which you refer is the place in North America.

I'm just going to have to defer to your expertise; I'm not a historian and haven't researched the origin of all places in the world named Cambridge.

I'm glad the US, Canada, and (probably) other places add the country, since I'm biased toward clarity and helping people understand things (especially those less worldly than others). Like that article on the front page of the Boston Globe - "Cambridge on Fire, Everyone Ordered to Evacuate."

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
Come on, people... it's city, state, rest of sentence.

Case in point: "Apple Permanently Closes Charlotte, North Carolina Store After Multiple Shooting Incidents"

Is it so hard to throw a comma after North Carolina?! It doesn't even read right.

It should be "Apple Permanently Closes Charlotte, North Carolina, Store After Multiple Shooting Incidents"

Thank you.
Keep in mind that headlines follow different rules, according to the AP Style Book, and my journalism professors.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Come on, people... it's city, state, rest of sentence.

Case in point: "Apple Permanently Closes Charlotte, North Carolina Store After Multiple Shooting Incidents"

Is it so hard to throw a comma after North Carolina?! It doesn't even read right.

It should be "Apple Permanently Closes Charlotte, North Carolina, Store After Multiple Shooting Incidents"

Thank you.
Consider this sentence: “Apple permanently closes Charlotte store after multiple shooting incidents.” It would not make sense to have a comma after Charlotte. The comma in “Charlotte, North Carolina” is there to distinguish between the city & the state. There’s no need for a 2nd comma.

You COULD make an argument for a comma after Store. I don’t “Think” one is appropriate there but not gonna look it up 😜

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Consider this sentence: “Apple permanently closes Charlotte store after multiple shooting incidents.” It would not make sense to have a comma after Charlotte. The comma in “Charlotte, North Carolina” is there to distinguish between the city & the state. There’s no need for a 2nd comma.

You COULD make an argument for a comma after Store. I don’t “Think” one is appropriate there but not gonna look it up 😜

As one colorful singer once said..... Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma Chameleon! 🦎

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.