Please Name Your Top 3 Most Useful Watch Apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by slomojoe, Jul 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. slomojoe macrumors member

slomojoe

i am listing things that i think a watch would be useful for in my life
    so far i am not getting close enough to justify a buy ... but who wouldn't like a new gizmo ?

i would love to hear the top 3 apps that have made your watch purchase worthwhile

2. FunkyMagicUK macrumors member

FunkyMagicUK

In terms of apps for me it’s >

Workoutdoors.
    Strong.
    Sofascore.

And of the baked in apps / functions it’s >
    Wallet.
    Reminders*
    Timer.

*Really looking forward to the new release of this, i use reminders extensively not really as reminders but more as long term data store so I have race PBs and pace info on hand.

I have separate lists for parkrun, 10k, 10mile, half, marathon, trail, ultra, track etc...and each list contains PB time and pace of each event I’ve ever ran...and the parkrun list includes a count of each parkrun plus at the top level an overall count, so I know when I’m about to hit any milestones (I’m on 180 parkruns across 11 venues at the moment).
    And then I manually sort each list so in my 10k list for example I’ve got the sixteen separate 10k races I’ve ran (most of which I’ve done multiple times), listed with my actual 10k PB course top of the list, and then gradually dropping down through the slower ones.

So if I go into a race on good form and a course best is possible, part of my pre race routine is to look in reminders for my previous best at that event, grab the pace, and enter that as a target pace in Workoutdoors...all whilst my phone is back in the car out of range.

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Activity/Health
    Workoutdoors
    Philips Hue

I also use Fitivie Pulse for training where I want to use my iPhone to see live update of Heart-rate and it is not a bad app (actually it is a very good app), but I hate to pay subscription for it, just to have a workout app with this feature.

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

1. Workout
    2. Darksky
    3. Apple Pay

I track nearly all my workouts using the built in app. I do use Paddle Logger for my kayaking and paddleboard workouts, I prefer the metrics from Paddle Logger.
    Darksky has been very accurate for my weather needs for quite a long time, I "bought" the app when it was free a few years ago.
    Apple Pay is my go to payment method when I am shopping, so quick to just double tap the button.

5. rojocrandall macrumors regular

rojocrandall

Countdowns
    Fantastical
    Carrot
    Free Bonus: WorkOutDoors

6. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

7. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Walkmeter - tracking hikes & bike rides - favorite app
    Text - great for answering a text
    GPS - in addtion to iPhone - vibrates ahead of turns
    Wallet - plane boarding pass etc

Like being able to have several different custom screens set up - ie default with weather at a glance / and email

Also good for keeping track of what time it is ;)

8. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Third party apps:
    Audible (listen to books while walking and in the pool)
    AnyList (grocery list)
    SleepWatch (sleep tracking)

Apple functions:
    Calendar (can't function without these reminders about appointments)
    Workout (has changed my life)
    Timer (use it all the time, for cooking, as a focusing device and so much more)

Wallet (coffee in the drive through) and Maps (love the turn signal on my wrist function)

For me, the connectivity is really central. I love that I can answer a text or take a phone call and that an emergency call is as close as my wrist (I have the cellular model).

9. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

10. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

1) Workout - for tracking walks, runs, stairs, yardwork, etc...
    2) Timer - mostly for cooking and brewing beer
    3) Not an app, but just Notifications in general; I like to be able to take quick glances at text messages and emails to know whether or not I need my phone

I primarily still use my phone for Apple Pay, but I'd imagine if I had an LTE watch, I would try to utilize that more
    The flashlight and theater mode are pretty cool features.
    Accepting phone calls through the watch is pretty cool too. (only done it a couple times, and my phone was near me but less accessible, but it was pretty darn neat)

11. Otto Pilot macrumors member

Otto Pilot

Third Party:
    1. WorkOutDoors
    2. Overcast
    3. Autosleep
    Bonus: Omnifocus

Apple:
    1. Wallet/ApplePay
    2. Music
    3. Workout
    I'm going to leave Phone and Messages off this list...easily the most used baked-in apps, but sort of a given.

12. FunkyMagicUK macrumors member

FunkyMagicUK

I use Timer MUCH more often than I expected to...even though I’ve had Garmins etc in the past with timers on and never used them.

Stick the washing in...hold down a button (I have regular and raise for Siri disabled), and say, “start a 2h15min timer” and then I get a reminder to come and empty the washing whereas normally I’d forget and just leave it there for hours after it’s finished....plus all the convenience when cooking and need to put various things in the oven at the right time, I just run a timer to countdown to reminding me when I need to do the next step.

13. user1234 macrumors 6502a

user1234

Third party:
    • WorkOutDoors
    • Carrot Weather
    • OTP Auth
    Apple apps:
    • Activity
    • Timer
    I just wished Timer would allow multiple simultaneous timers to be set. I haven’t found a third party timer app I like, and I want the Siri integration.