Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
If you're battery cover is loose I say take it back. Apple's quality control seems to stink as I have had issues with three macbooks having warped lids, never had the battery cover problem, but it's the same idea. No, it doesn't effect the functionality of the product but for this kind of money it should be built well. Have you ever seen a windows based pc from any company have consistently bent lids and loose battery covers? I'm sure some do but it's not as widespread as this issue with apple. And not returning it b/c other wise its a great product just lets apple get away with selling products that are poor quality. Why fix it if people buy it? take it back an get a new one. Such a physical imperfection on a machine this expensive is hardly acceptable in my opinion.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I too had the battery cover issue and the slanted keys. My first computer's battery cover was so slanted that apple forced (yes, forced) me to take a new one with the hard drives swapped out so that they could send it in to "engineering" and use my computer as a case study I guess. The computer they replaced it with has the slanted function keys but all the ones at the store had them as well so I'm not going to bother to return it.

tuinte

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Glad I found some other people that had the same problem with the loose battery cover. I thought I was the only one!

I went down the apple store to check the display models and all of those battery covers fit tight. I have an appointment later today too get my cover checkout.

Here is video of my loose battery cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbzx--isKN8

Oh, wow, THAT's what people are complaining about? I would rate that a non-issue and enjoy my laptop.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
I kind of agree with that. While I am a huge fan of apple computers, they seem to care less about their customers.

This is where the Mac Genius comes in. I've returned a faulty iBook (bent easily, though I was much more careful with the new one, *not* putting it into a computer bag) without any problem. Less than 30 minutes and I was out the door with a new one. Impressive.

I've even returned an iPod Shuffle that got washed -- ur, I mean, I don't know what happened -- without any complaint. I fessed up and everything.

The Apple stores make up for the shoddy quality, which is still starting to concern me. But if you're not near a store, well... Dell?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Oh, wow, THAT's what people are complaining about? I would rate that a non-issue and enjoy my laptop.

How is that a non-issue? I've never seen a laptop do that before. It's most definitely an issue on a $1600 "premium" laptop.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
i returned my blackbook as it was junk, and was holdiing out for one of these, but it seems they are in the same boat... the iPhone 3g fit and finnish is terrible too, creaks in my hand.

LONG LIVE THE MAC PRO(acd on the coffee table, me on the couch :p )

chrisiw

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Isle of Wight UK
Actually, no you can't. They will send it in for repair, but the following is a quote from Apple's sales and Refunds policy:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival."

I don't think a slightly less-than-perfect battery cover qualifies as "Dead on Arrival"
Not sure where you guys are, but in the UK they have to replace it if faulty within the first 14 days, Its the Law!

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I thought I didn't have the slanted keys problem, but I just now noticed that the function keys are slanted a bit. The left side of each key is lower than the right.

It's barely noticeable, and I surely won't return my MacBook just for this. However, it does show how crappy Apple's quality control has gotten lately. For such an expensive product as compared to Windows machines, one would think they would excel at such basic quality controls.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Has anyone had any success getting the stores to replace them? I took mine off of my Macbook Pro and now mine slides around too. It's just annoying and I'm concerned that it'll allow dust and dirt to get in. My store isn't exactly the easiest to work with when it comes to problems. (They have been useless with getting my MB Air to run. I have nothing running except the Apple keynote and after 20 min it'll grind to a stop. They just say that the Air isn't made to handle it and it works within spec.) Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should even try. If others are successful, I may just do it. Oh yeah, and I've got the slanted function keys too but I've been ignoring that but I figure if I keep having issues I'll try and get a replacement.

mawsoccer

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Mine is also slightly loose. To those of you saying to just live with it, F U!

I did not just drop $2700 on this machine to have something like that crap go wrong with it in the first week.

Also, my 2.8 ghz MBP burns battery like crazy!!!!!!

I got down to 60% after running a video on fox on demand for 45 minutes and leaving it asleep in my backpack for an hour and a half.

It was running on better battery life too.

I don't know if that would be a valid complaint or not, but I'm going to call or go to an Apple Store and see whats up.

I'm gonna be pissed though if I have to wait another 6 days for them to ship one from China again though.

Apple makes 1.18 billion dollars in a quarter ... they got plenty of spare money to remedy these poor quality machines ... if not, they don't deserve our business. I'll get a frickin PC and turn it into a Hackintosh just like my desktop!

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I swapped my MB for a MBP and the only thing I could find wrong was a slightly loose access cover. I did two things to fix it.

1. Loosened the four small screws (hidden under the access panel) on the main panel and pressed down (lightly) on the center of the panel. This forced the main panel to move slightly towards the front of the machine. I tightened the screws while pressing down.

2. I slightly bent the tabs on the access panel that slide into the front lip of the machine. This firms up the front of the panel so it doesn't move around, and it forces the panel rearward which makes it mate up with the rear panel.

Now my access panel fits just as nicely as my former MB. No gap and no movement.

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
I apologize for the crappy photo. I only have a 12 megapixel camera with me now, and I haven't loaded any of my photo software on my new MBP yet. Hopefully, this photo from my iphone will suffice.

You have to bend the tab in the photo down, towards the rounded edge of the cover.

Can u please do a better instruction how to do this, I don't really get it

//Everlast

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
This is such an easy fix, I'm surprised people haven't figured it out yet. You just slightly bend the tabs so that the gap is smaller. The tabs I'm talking about are the ones that connect to the front part of the laptop frame. That's what I did to mine and now it's perfectly fine...it doesn't move at all.

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
This is such an easy fix, I'm surprised people haven't figured it out yet. You just slightly bend the tabs so that the gap is smaller. The tabs I'm talking about are the ones that connect to the front part of the laptop frame. That's what I did to mine and now it's perfectly fine...it doesn't move at all.

Can you please post a pictures of the tabs that I should bend

//Everlast

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden

Is it these tabs that I should bend ?

How should I bend them ?

//Everlast

Attachments

• mb13alumunbox.jpg
    mb13alumunbox.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 679

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
No go on replacement or fix

Well, I since I have an issue with my function keys being noticeably slanted (I was going to live with it) and now since my battery cover slides, I thought I'd take it in. Well the genius played with the keys and said they're not level but "good enough" and as for the sliding battery cover all the models do it so it's not a design issue. I asked if the gap would allow moisture or dust to get in and harm the computer and he said no. He wouldn't replace it. I was kind of shocked that they wouldn't take it more seriously but he said it was all cosmetic and that the machine still functions.

teflontex

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
I have the same problem, it's fairly minor, move maybe 0.2mm but still makes an annoying metallic click when i put it down somewhere

i have that very same problem, and the slanty keys,

bought mine from a reseller (comet in the uk)

they half gave me the run around because i said it had a fault,
in the end i just told them i didnt want it (under the 14 day no questions asked return policy)

now i'm getting a replacement delivery sorted , will probably be monday now before i hear back from them,

so hope the next one doesnt do it, its really annoying!!

am i being fickle?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have not seen the slanted F Keys problem yet, can anyone post picture?

Also, my cover is slightly loose (id say ~.1mm) does not go up and down when I lift my GlassBook, neither does the metal click when I move it. But if I run my fingers through it the cover moves specially on the left side which moves ~.2mm.

JRSimmons

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
UK
I had the same issue as stated with the battery cover.

Took it to an apple store earlier and got a full refund. I'm stuck with what to do now..I love the design/features/capability of the macbook but I don't want to be everlasting taking it back to the store.
I was given the option to swap it over, change model or get the refund.
I'm tempted to wait for the Air to come out next month, or just go and get another 2.4!! - It's only for Uni work (MS Office mainly)

I'm stuck!

NB - It's not something anyone should have to put up with when paying £1,000 for a computer, the gap in mine was large enough not only to cause a nuisance with clicking, but also dust/dirt and moisture can quite easily get in to the battery/hard drive compartment..causing much more serious problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.