Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Just a word on temperature to serve beer at.

Aussies love their beers cold and this is OK for the tasteless lagers we usually get here like VB, Tooeys, Fosters (all YUCK) which is all well and good. BUT don't ruin a good Ale type beer (Bishops Finger, Fullers London Pride well any decent British beer) by chilling it in the fridge. Its a myth that us Brits drink warm beer, its more just under room temperature.

Its like wine. You chill white wine but serve reds at room temperature so you can liberate the aromatics and taste the subtle flavours. Its the same with decent full bodied beer.

Its easy to waste a $8 bottle of imported UK /Belgium beer by serving it chilled from the fridge. It will taste OK but you will probably be wondering what the fuss is about as you will loose half the taste. Go ahead chill Aussie , German and US and Cobra Indian lagers as they will probably taste better!

I found this

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I can only drink Corona if it's got a lime slice in it though.

Personally, I only like Corona if the lime slice is completely plugging the bottleneck, and sometimes I additionally add hot wax to make sure none of the beer actually gets into my mouth. Then I can focus on the best use of Corona, which is to hold an ice cold bottle of same against my hot forehead while listening to Jimmy Buffett. Other than the fact that I don't especially like Jimmy Buffett (the Corona of singer-songwriters), it's great.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
After 3 years of not drinking, (just decided to go on a hiatus for a while) I decided to start trying some different kinds of beer. I'm no beer expert by any means, but I started drinking when I was a teenager and by the time I turned 21, I decided to quit a while, so I never really got a chance to try different kinds of beer. So far, I've tried - Lowenbrau Original, Heineken, Michelob Amber Bock, Miller High Life, and I bought a 6 Pack of Saranac Trail Mix. (something like that....a variety pack) The best out of the Saranac is by far the Black Forest, of which I'm drinking right now. Really smooth. I'm just drinking them straight out of the bottle and as I said before, I'm not a beer expert by any means, so yeah.

The best out of all the brands I've tried so far, though, is Lowenbrau. I could drink that stuff like water it's so smooth. Excellent. :cool:

Back in the day, we would drink whatever we could find to get drunk. :D

That was usually Budweiser for beer and Vladimir for vodka and occasionally Jim Beam or Jack Daniel's for liquor. I always actually liked the taste of beer, though. Never really dug the taste of liquor or vodka....or wine. :eek:

I wanna give Guinness a try, but I can't find it around here. I should mention that I'm in a very small town and we have a very limited selection. Most people around here just drink the ol' Bud. :rolleyes:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Personally, I only like Corona if the lime slice is completely plugging the bottleneck, and sometimes I additionally add hot wax to make sure none of the beer actually gets into my mouth. Then I can focus on the best use of Corona, which is to hold an ice cold bottle of same against my hot forehead while listening to Jimmy Buffett. Other than the fact that I don't especially like Jimmy Buffett (the Corona of singer-songwriters), it's great.

Haha, awesome.

I had a friend who loved Corona. I told him I loved Corona too; the stuffs' perfect for washing my beer glass off.

bennyboyt

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
sorry i read the first 2 pages and skipped the rest so apologies if already posted...

but worth a shout:

Hoegaarden
Cobra
Gadd's (if you can get it)

also local pub down here serving a bitter called "Frisky Ferret" which i found amusing for about 10 minutes :D

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Shiner Bock. From Shiner, Texas.

Attachments

• n217200798_30416984_5967.jpg
    n217200798_30416984_5967.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 48

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
hey everyone. i know theres a lot of threads about beer so i hope this isnt too much of a re-post. anyways...ill start by saying i know very little about beer. i do know that i love how it tastes though! im not like a lot of college students who like guzzling light beers and drink just to get drunk. i hate being drunk. i enjoy the flavor of beer. i was hoping some of you could help me find some good tastes...i really like guinness, killians, and sam adams black lager. the thicker and darker, the better. i hate light beers...just no flavor! :) so if i could just get some names of some thick tasty beers that would be great. thanks all!

Bit of an Ale Man, LOVE Molsen Stock Ale, only available in Canada, bring back a couple cases duty free when I go to the Falls, savor it until it's gone,:rolleyes: then it's back to the Wild Turkey on the rocks, :cool: but in the summer heat here in Florida, poolside, it's Beefeater & Schweppes Bitter Lemon:eek: w/ twist of lime;)

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Staropramen. My bro-in-law's family owns the brewery in Prague(?).

Like most good beer, it's hard to find in the US, but it's popular in Europe. It's one of the smoothest you'll come across.

If you're in Chicago, I can recommend a few places you'll find it.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I have to list mine as well. Love beer....

• Guinness (only from a frequently used tap)
  • Sierra Nevada pale ale
  • Sam Adams (try their Black Lager or Summer Brew)
  • Shiner Bock

I could go on, but these are the ones I recommend. If you're just starting out you'll more likely end up drinking Coors Light, Bud Light, Rolling Rock, etc. "Starter beers".

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I have to list mine as well. Love beer....

• Guinness (only from a frequently used tap)

No argument.

• Sierra Nevada pale ale

I've heard other Yanks speak of this one. Not available up here, that I know of.

• Sam Adams (try their Black Lager or Summer Brew)

Have had Sam, on tap, in Boston. Very nice.

• Shiner Bock

Sorry, unknown to me.

I could go on, but these are the ones I recommend. If you're just starting out you'll more likely end up drinking Coors Light, Bud Light, Rolling Rock, etc. "Starter beers".

I always tout Kilkenny Pub Draft in cans. Nectar of the gods.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Just a word on temperature to serve beer at.

Aussies love their beers cold and this is OK for the tasteless lagers we usually get here like VB, Tooeys, Fosters (all YUCK) which is all well and good. BUT don't ruin a good Ale type beer (Bishops Finger, Fullers London Pride well any decent British beer) by chilling it in the fridge. Its a myth that us Brits drink warm beer, its more just under room temperature.

Its like wine. You chill white wine but serve reds at room temperature so you can liberate the aromatics and taste the subtle flavours. Its the same with decent full bodied beer.

Its easy to waste a $8 bottle of imported UK /Belgium beer by serving it chilled from the fridge. It will taste OK but you will probably be wondering what the fuss is about as you will loose half the taste. Go ahead chill Aussie , German and US and Cobra Indian lagers as they will probably taste better!

I found this

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

See that's all well and good when your room temperature is 16°C like it is in England.

Here in Australia "room temperature" can be upwards of 35°C for most of the year - try drinking beer at that temp. Everything has to be kept in the fridge here because otherwise it'll boil.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Busch Light. Goes down like water.
Don't listen to me

If I haven't toured the Budweiser brewery myself, I would swear that St. Louis's sewage system feeds directly into their machine that fills the bottles.

Of course, what I saw on the tour could be one giant hoax to cover up the conspiracy, and all of Budweiser's products really could be filled up from the sewage system, since, after all, that's what it tastes like.

Their crap is only good when it's the only thing available and you want to get drunk :D

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What, no mention of Pilsner Urquell, the first pilsner and from the Czech Republic. Hoppy, but not artificially so, flavorful but not thick and wheaty. Very crisp and clear with clean finish. My favorite, although I like about any decent beer from anywhere.

It is available almost everywhere around here, so I guess it is getting popular. It is the only locally available Czech product I can think of right now. A friend did travel there and thought it was great.

Anyone here know about Brew 102?

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I didn't read the whole thread, but my suggestion would be to go to your local beer retailer (preferably a liquor or beer/wine store) and pick something. Buy, take home, chill or store at the proper temp (as mentioned in the above thread), and drink. If it was good, make a note of it to buy again. If not, move on to something else.

I've been doing that for several years and have found a few that I really like, several that are OK, and a lot that are just plain yuck. I believe an individual's taste in beer is a lot like that of wine. It varies, you just need to find what you like.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
As the OP likes dark beer try Erdinger Dunkel. It's a weissbier (wheat beer) so has a different flavour to most beers (you mentioned some stouts in your post).

If you're in London, or Ireland, Porterhouse do it.

Staropramen. My bro-in-law's family owns the brewery in Prague(?).

Sorry but that's bollocks. Staropramen is owned by Inbev - an enormous multinational.
Staro is nice though, although I prefer Velkopopovický.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.