Please someone make a touchscreen COMPUTER with a real OS!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplesAOranges, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

I´m sick of these toy OSs that can´t do ANYTHING USEFUL!!! :mad:

I would love nothing but to get my hands into a tablet device with a real OS. OS X preferably, ´cause I love OS X, but even Windows would do for now and that´s saying a lot!

Come one people, innovate!!!

2. APlotdevice, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While iOS does have notable limitations, I can do plenty of useful things with it. Pretty much all my web browsing nowadays is done on my iPad. I read all my electronic books, comics, and PDFs on it too. I even use it as a digital sketch pad.

Windows tablets have been on the market for a number of years. They've just never been very popular.

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

"touchscreen computer" and "real OS" (whatever that means) don't mix.

Apple's got it right. And at the moment (and it would appear that for the foreseeable future), they're the only ones that do.

If that doesn't suffice, use a notebook.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Windows based touchscreen computers are out there. I know Sony and Dell have models and I'm sure there are others.

It's a gimmick. Can you imagine doing any amount of work at a desk with your arm extended out to use a touchscreen? That's a recipe for RSI.

Like LTD said, current desktop OSes are not designed for touchscreens. As much as you think that's what you want, it's just not viable at this point. Be patient though, it's a concept just waiting for someone to get it right.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think Windows 8 might be what you are looking for.

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

LOL. Silly rabbit, computer based OS's don't mix with tablet batteries and CPU's. Please review history of tablets for examples.

8. jmjoh122 macrumors member

jmjoh122

my best advice would be to grab a toughbook. i have used these computer extensively if my profession. They are touch screen but it's limited touch screen. i think that you'll like your results.

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Wait until Windows 8, Then you can have a tablet with a "real OS".... and a fan :rolleyes:

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Tablet computers have actually been around since the 90s. Until the iPad came out, they all had a "real" OS and were terrible. I can tell you from using one, iOS is a 500% improvement over Windows for tablets.

Now, if you really want a tablet with a desktop OS I can direct you to a few, but the starting cost is quite a bit higher than the iPad and battery life is usually ~3 hours instead of 10.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_J35.asp ($1700)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...267-3955550-4332585.html?jumpid=in_r602_slate

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am using a fujitsu touchscreen laptop at work (I am a school teacher) and
    When I try to use the stylus to write on the screen, it basically goes haywire and starts imaging I am trying to do something else if my palm so much as comes in contact with it. The screen shakes back and forth when I use my finger to press any icon. It is very touch-sensitive, but sucks at pin-pointing where my finger is, so even basic commands like double-click is hit-and-miss.

Not to mention many programs don't work in tablet mode (only powerpoint and browser).

I honestly don't see the point.:confused:

12. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Lenovo X220T. Small, fast, powerful, touchscreen with digitizer, quadcore processor. Excellent machine.

13. matttye macrumors 601

What's the point in a tablet with a "real os" when you can get a laptop :p

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

If they would have a real open filesystem, printer driver support and a better implementation of multitasking then many of the limitations (e.g. emails with multiple attachments) of the iPad would be gone.

Then allow more use of the dock connector (e.g. USB file transfer, support of a mouse for specialized Apps) and iOS would become more useful beyond watching videos and web browsing.

Sadly this will not happen in the next few years so I probably won't upgrade my iPad.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

OP touchscreen computers with full OS's have been out for years, but they always failed.

On Windows, Gateway and I think Toshiba (maybe a few others) had tablet computers that were sold at Circuit City a few years before it went under (telling you how long ago it was). They were an utter failure. A tablet with a full blown OS never works, the interface needs designed for touch screens.

Also, if you want Mac OS with a touchscreen Axiom Modbooks have been out for years.

It seems to me that you don't really know what you need if you are looking to an iPad but its not sufficing for you. An iPad, while it can be a computer replacement for some, is more of a computer augmentation for others. Its plenty capable for work on the go, or while lounging, but many people still need a full computer and you sound like one of those people.

----------

When you add that stuff though you get rid of the ease of the tablet. The iPad is more of a media consumption device and less of a computer. For tasks like you mentioned an 11 inch air would be a better match.

16. rwwest7 macrumors regular

Apple did "innovate" and that's why the iPad is so successful. I think a Mac Air would be what you're looking for. Instant on, ultra portable, keyboard and trackpad...........a computer.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

You clearly could make the iPad work with these features. Yes, the iPad would be less simple and less of a Media consumption device. So I agree those features won't come for a long time if ever. I think it's more likely that the 11" air will get 8 hrs battery life and then I will buy the air.

18. rwwest7 macrumors regular

I once used a Sony laptop that had a touchscreen that flipped around and lay flat. Basically a thick tablet. It was the biggest piece of junk I ever put my hands on. Pretty much useless in "tablet" mode. The iPad does it perfectly, but IT'S NOT A LAPTOP! It's a tablet. If you want a laptop get a laptop....if you want a tablet get a tablet. They are different devices that serve different purposes. The limitations are built in to make the device faster.

----------

The innovate comment always makes me laugh, you're saying they should "innovate" by making the device just like a something that already exists. That's not innovation. Innovation is coming up with new ways of doing things. Should they "innovate" and make it support flash or should they not "innovate" and use a newer faster more reliable HTML5 technology.

The iPad is the most innovative device in a long long time.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'd honestly take an 11 inch air with that kind of battery life over an iPad ;)

Don't get me wrong I love my iPad and its very useful to me but more often than not I need a full computer.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

*cough cough* Windows 8 *cough cough*

I think what Apple is doing though is spot on for their Notebooks. Rather than making them touchscreen, they add multi-touch elements that you explore through a multi-touch trackpad. It's like having a touchscreen almost.

21. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

It ain't horseshoes.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Such as?

Then get a tablet PC, not a tablet. They've been around for years. Your inability to find (seems more like you haven't even looked IMO) the tool you want doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Come on, ApplesAOranges, pay attention!!! As stated above, tablet PC's have been around for a long time with full OS's on them and never sold well. Apple did innovate with the iPad. Again, your lack of paying attention/ignorance is your actual problem.

23. rovex macrumors 65816

I'd die for an exposé feature on the iPad and the ability to watch YouTube videos while web browsing.

24. MrXiro, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There are Tablets that run Windows 7 aren't there?