Please stop calling it "The New iPad"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ///M5, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ///M5 macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just me, but it's annoying as hell. Just call it iPad 3 or 3rd gen or whatever, but not "The New iPad".

Cheers!

2. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

... But it is the new iPad. I don't see how that's not correct, considering Apple's pages label it as such, not the iPad 3.

3. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Its just called "iPad" now.

I thought this was common knowledge.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple's pages call it the new iPad, not The New iPad.

The words The and New are not a part of the name - merely adjectives describing the iPad (3rd Generation).

5. tomhfh macrumors newbie

Definitely not just you. But don't call it the iPad3. Call it the 2012 iPad or 3rd Gen iPad. Thats what we use with iPods and Macs, we should move away from iPad3, just like we should move away from 'The new iPad'.

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It does make it a bit more confusing but in line with just about all the other Apple products (i.e. MacBook, iPod, etc.).

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Was there a single soul on earth outside of Apple that felt the naming convention needed to be changed? It's just weird.

8. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Which is why I didn't capitalize them. New just describes in compared to the older (2) iPad.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Where they screwed up was with the iPad 2's name. They simply should have called it "iPad" 2nd Gen. Though of course people are stupid and get confused so easily. I also don't like "the new iPad" which is I refer to it as iPad 3 or iPad 3rd gen.

10. moogs macrumors member

If that's what Apple wants to call it then that's what I call it. Can't wait to get home and play with my the new ipad. Glad I upgraded.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

When shopping for a Toyota Camry, would you buy a Camry 4S or a 2012 Camry? What would the one in 2013 be called? The Tesla Model S has 3G, lets call that the Tesla 3G ! ;) instead the Camry is called the Camry. The Model s is the Model S. Any extensions like LE is like the iPad Wi-Fi + 4G

Even MS called the Xbox the 360 instead of Xbox 2

12. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Yes, I don't think it would be "cool" calling it iPad 12 in 9-10 yrs...

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go find something on Apple's site that calls it, "The New iPad" - I bet you can't, because that isn't the name.

Add one to your cart - it shows up as iPad (3rd Generation).

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it is just you ... your annoying feeling will pass when future generations of iPads are released :apple:

15. davidinva macrumors 6502a

When I can finally afford one, I may call in Fred or Wilma depending on its gender. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

16. moogs macrumors member

Check the homepage, bro.

Posted from my the new iPad

17. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

From the website:

Hot News HeadlinesRSS Feed
    The New iPad is Here
    March 16, 2012
    The new iPad — the third generation of the category-defining mobile device — arrived at Apple’s Retail…
    Learn more

18. urkel macrumors 68030

Actually, its presented The new iPad. It's all over Apples site, it's all over reseller sites and it was written that way on the slide.
    [​IMG]

Apple doesn't do anything by accident so their choice in capitalization and the constant use of "The new iPad" does confuse the issue meaning the lack of an OFFICIAL name is what is causing this problem. So instead of people getting mad at end users for "saying it wrong", they should be frustrated at Apple for choosing NOT to be specific on how this should be called.

(BTW. My personal opinion is that this is "iPad". BUT, that doesn't mean I 100% agree because for a product in an annual upgrade cycle that may or may not involve selling "The old iPad" then there should be a differentiator in the name. Plus, google searches suck if you're trying to find something specifically for The new iPad. :D)

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Reading comprehension:

The new iPad

doesn't mean the name is: The New iPad.

They're called adjectives - used in this case to let visitors know that there is a new iPad.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Holy ****!!!

They changed the name of the MacBook Pro to The New MacBook Pro! :rolleyes:

20. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

next years ipad will be again THE NEW IPAD so just call it ipad or ipad 3rd gen

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, the words "The new" are adjectives used to let readers/viewers know that it is something new. They are not part of a name.

Actually, they use "The new" every time they update a product. See: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

22. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Well perhaps they would have needed to change the naming convention at some point, but thats different than eliminating it. Its the xbox 360, not "the new xbox" (or the new "xbox" for the adjective people). It should still have its own name.

Users will call it the 3 or 3rd generation, but it will make some google searches and media headlines confusing...

23. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

+1 Exactly! I was about to post the exact same thing! Sad part is it seems no one reads anymore, you are right but no one seems to hear you

24. urkel macrumors 68030

Im not disagreeing but unlike the iPad, they don't sell "The old MacBook Pro" along side it. So that does change the impact of that argument.

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... Darn it ... I am using "The MacBook Pro" :(