Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Lately I've encountered threads where I posted and then the OP "replies" to me by simply making another post on their thread instead of hitting the "reply" button. Since I don't have my settings set to automatically follow every thread I post to (as that would be a notification nightmare, especially on popular threads with hundreds of posts per day), and instead only have notifications set for replies or mentions, that means I never know they replied unless I just happen to re-visit the thread and notice their post.

So just a PSA (especially for newbies) to always use the reply button or at least use @ + the user's name (e.g. @usagora to be sure they know you replied!

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I think it's time to bump this PSA. Seriously folks, use the reply button, the @ tag with my username or at least "like" my comment so I know if you've at least possibly replied. I've replied to several threads this morning and the OP replies to me by making a new post instead of hitting reply so I don't get a notification - I have to manually search for each thread under the "threads with your posts" section to see if they've replied.

Again, auto-subscribing to every thread I reply to isn't the solution, because I don't want notifications for every single post in that thread - only ones directed at me.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Like this?
;-)

Seriously, that's good advice for anybody replying to posts made by highly active forum users.

Yep, like that 😉 Normally this issue occurs when I'm the first to reply to a thread. For some reason people only want to use the reply button when there's multiple replies by multiple people. I mean, I get it - it will be obvious the reply is intended for me if I'm the only one who's responded so far, but there's no reason NOT to use the reply button so I know you did.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP,
I think giving people different ways to interact in the forum is fine, and no one is being forced to use the reply/quote button. I personally don't have any issues with people just posting in the thread but directly responding to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: max2

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I just use the Mark forums read button each time I finish browsing. If someone replies to one of my posts, I'll see it next time I visit the site, when I'm only looking for threads that have new posts.

Reactions: maflynn

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
OP,
I think giving people different ways to interact in the forum is fine, and no one is being forced to use the reply/quote button. I personally don't have any issues with people just posting in the thread but directly responding to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL! Well, sure, they are free to not use the reply button and then I won't be notified of their "reply". Not very logical, but they have the right to do that 🤷🏼‍♂️ There's literally no good reason to not use the reply button - that's what it's there for!

I just use the Mark forums read button each time I finish browsing. If someone replies to one of my posts, I'll see it next time I visit the site, when I'm only looking for threads that have new posts.

This is even less helpful than what I'm already having to do (use the "Threads with your posts" filter on my profile and comb through them all to see if an OP has posted a reply without using the reply button). Wouldn't it make much more sense for people to simply use the reply button so we get notified instead? Thus my thread here - to get people to realize this who don't already. Not sure how anyone could argue with that!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
OP,
The key here is that if your are not notified via reply or direct link, a reply to you might be lost in the noise. Imo, if taking the time to reply to a post, it’s something that the person replying should be more motivated to ensure, if they care about having their voice heard by the person they are directing the reply to.

For myself, sometimes I see a post that might be directed at me, and on a case by case basis, I igonore it or ask, who are you talking to?

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
The key here is that if your are not notified via reply or direct link, a reply to you might be lost in the noise. Imo, if taking the time to reply to a post, it’s something that the person replying should be more motivated to ensure, if they care about having their voice heard by the person they are directing the reply to.

For myself, sometimes I see a post that might be directed at me, and on a case by case basis, I igonore it or ask, who are you talking to?

Agreed. The only purposeful non-use of the reply button I've seen is not a good one. It's when people get passive-aggressive and want to say something derogatory about your post without you being notified of it (thus less chance that you will see it and reply, and making it look like they had "the last word" or that you were unable to come up with a reply to their amazing criticism, lol).

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the post button is there to add stuff, I get your point but all I'm saying is that its not our place to tell others how they should post, i.e., use the reply button and not the post button IF you want to do x, y or z.

I understand the advantages, but I'm more thinking along the lines, that lets not impose policies or procedures that seem somewhat restrictive - if someone wants use the reply button great, if they just want to hit the post but that's fine too.

I guess what I'm saying is, let others worry how they post, and focus only on how you want to interact with the forum. It reminds me of what I say to my kids. I tell them (way too much). Worry about yourself and not what your sister does, that's none of your concern.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed. The only purposeful non-use of the reply button I've seen is not a good one. It's when people get passive-aggressive and want to say something derogatory about your post without you being notified of it (thus less chance that you will see it and reply, and making it look like they had "the last word" or that you were unable to come up with a reply to their amazing criticism, lol).
I did not consider this angle…🤔

I think the post button is there to add stuff, I get your point but all I'm saying is that its not our place to tell others how they should post, i.e., use the reply button and not the post button IF you want to do x, y or z.

I understand the advantages, but I'm more thinking along the lines, that lets not impose policies or procedures that seem somewhat restrictive - if someone wants use the reply button great, if they just want to hit the post but that's fine too.

I guess what I'm saying is, let others worry how they post, and focus only on how you want to interact with the forum. It reminds me of what I say to my kids. I tell them (way too much). Worry about yourself and not what your sister does, that's none of your concern.
I would not consider an enforcement policy, just suggestions on how to be more effective communicating.

Reactions: maflynn

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017

I honestly don't get where you're coming from here. I'm not suggesting MR make this a rule. This is just a PSA to inform people that if they don't hit reply (or tag me or at least "react" to my post), I'm not going to know you did.

As Huntn pointed out, if they're replying to you, they obviously intend for you to see that reply (with the exception I mentioned in post 13, which is much rarer and doesn't apply to the cases I had in mind). So, yes, I'm "telling them" to do it, but there's literally no good reason for them not to, as it's in their best interest, so I don't see the issue. I mean, what person reading this (who was unaware of the issue) is going to say, "Nope, sorry, I don't want you to see my replies to you, so I will continue to not use the reply button or tag you. Stop telling me how to post!", lol! No, they're going to say, "Ah, didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip!"

And the "Worry about yourself and not what your sister does" analogy is irrelevant here. It's not like I'm complaining about something that doesn't affect me or others, like the content of someone's signature, their profile pic, their personal preferences, etc. This is an issue that cripples one of the main purposes of this forum - user interaction (especially when it comes to people seeking answers to problems). Apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I honestly don't get where you're coming from here. I'm not suggesting MR make this a rule. This is just a PSA to inform people that if they don't hit reply (or tag me or at least "react" to my post), I'm not going to know you did.

As Huntn pointed out, if they're replying to you, they obviously intend for you to see that reply (with the exception I mentioned in post 13, which is much rarer and doesn't apply to the cases I had in mine). So, yes, I'm "telling them" to do it, but there's literally no good reason for them not to, as it's in their best interest, so I don't see the issue. I mean, what person reading this (who was unaware of the issue) is going to say, "Nope, sorry, I don't want you to see my replies to you, so I will continue to not use the reply button or tag you. Stop telling me how to post!", lol! No, they're going to say, "Ah, didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip!"

And the "Worry about yourself and not what your sister does" analogy is irrelevant here. It's not like I'm complaining about something that doesn't affect me or others, like the content of someone's signature, their profile pic, their personal preferences, etc. This is an issue that cripples one of the main purposes of this forum - user interaction (especially when it comes to people seeking answers to problems). Apples and oranges.
Personally I auto subscribe to threads I participate in. Then when there is a new post in those threads I read them in the New threads section (or skip over them if my interest has waned I might just mark as read.
As others have said it’s up to people how they post. Personally I do use the reply button. But if people don’t and I miss their reply, then it’s no biggie.

Reactions: shadow puppet

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Personally I auto subscribe to threads I participate in. Then when there is a new post in those threads I read them in the New threads section (or skip over them if my interest has waned I might just mark as read.
As others have said it’s up to people how they post. Personally I do use the reply button. But if people don’t and I miss their reply, then it’s no biggie.

Yes, as mentioned, that's an option, but a very poor one, as my notifications get flooded with posts that aren't replies to me. I simply don't get this "it's up to people how they post" notion in response to this thread. It's not like these people are strategically not using the reply button for a specific reason and I'm telling them "no, it's my way or the highway". I'm informing people, who apparently don't realize it, that when they don't use the reply button (or tag me), that I don't actually know they replied to me, which obviously would not be a desirable thing for them. Yes, I can manually comb through dozens of threads to check if they replied without hitting reply, but I don't always have the time or remember to do that, so they might've posted a followup question for me that I never see and thus never answer.

To use an analogy, it would be like if I saw someone using a walkie-talky without pushing the PTT (push to talk) button. I then tell them, "If you don't use the PTT button, the other person can't hear or respond to you. Use the PTT button". Then you and others come along and object by saying, "Hey, it's up to them how they want to use the walkie-talky. It's not up to us to tell them how to use it." 😂

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This is even less helpful than what I'm already having to do (use the "Threads with your posts" filter on my profile and comb through them all to see if an OP has posted a reply without using the reply button). Wouldn't it make much more sense for people to simply use the reply button so we get notified instead? Thus my thread here - to get people to realize this who don't already. Not sure how anyone could argue with that!
Works for me. I see all the posts that have new replies. I see my "badge" if I've made a post in that thread. Until people stop posting in a thread, or I lose interest, I open all of the latter. I want to see what else was said until it gets off track.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I want to see what else was said until it gets off track.

Well that's why it works for you and not for me. I normally don't want to see what everyone else is posting or may not have time to constantly comb through threads even if I did. Getting the notification that someone replied to me specifically makes it easy to efficiently interact, thus my thread here.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Interesting. I have been using forums for ages, and was even a Mod on two forums.
But, honestly, I only ever reply to a specific post, if am looking for a direct response to my post. Other than that, I merely post in the thread.

Wait, don't we all subscribe to our own threads? Well, I do :)

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Interesting. I have been using forums for ages, and was even a Mod on two forums.
But, honestly, I only ever reply to a specific post, if am looking for a direct response to my post. Other than that, I merely post in the thread.

Wait, don't we all subscribe to our own threads? Well, I do :)

??? I'm not talking about threads I started. I'm talking about other people's threads where I'm responding to the OP, then the OP replies to me by using "Post reply" button at the bottom of the thread instead of clicking the "Reply" button on my post. In other words, instead of replying to me, they're actually replying to themselves (their OP), so I never get notified of their reply.

Like I said, this usually happens when I'm the first person to reply to the thread (I often comb through the "Unanswered threads" because I know how I hate taking the time to post a thread and hundreds of people read it and no one replies - so I try to respond to unanswered threads if I have input). So it will look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 7.45.52 PM.png

I never got notified of his reply (post 3) because he didn't use the Reply button on my post nor did he tag me. This is a real life example from today. I only found his reply because I went looking for an example for you. I probably would never have seen his followup question otherwise or at least not until much later if I had time to go manually searching for it.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Sorry I misunderstood. Now am totally confused if I should merely post my response (since it’s your thread), or reply.

Anyway…

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I appreciate people NOT using the reply button, so that it doesn’t notify me. I post what I want to say, because I want to say it. Y’all are welcome to do the same, but I probably won’t read it ;)

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry I misunderstood. Now am totally confused if I should merely post my response (since it’s your thread), or reply.

Anyway…

Not sure what's so confusing. Obviously if I start a thread, I will sub/watch it because I'm looking for responses. As I've already explained, I don't sub to every single thread I reply to, because I would be flooded with notifications all day long for some threads, most of which aren't replies to me, but to the OP or others. I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one who doesn't sub every single thread I interact with. Therefore, people should use the reply button any time they're replying to a post other than the OP (post 1).

I appreciate people NOT using the reply button, so that it doesn’t notify me. I post what I want to say, because I want to say it. Y’all are welcome to do the same, but I probably won’t read it ;)

Alrighty then. You're definitely in the minority. Most people who participate in online communities like to interact with others - sort of the whole idea behind it. But, why not just turn off notifications?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Anyway…

It’s not that hard. If you make a general comment not directed at anyone in particular just post. If you are responding to, especially in a busy thread, countering a specific post, directed at some one you disagree with or want to share agreement with, you should use the reply button which lets the person know you are replying to them specifically, and it let’s everyone else know what motivated you to make the reply you did. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.