@pod2g & @i0n1c catfight!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bl0ckHe1d, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

2. McBeats macrumors 6502a

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

So i0n1c is pissed that people not involved in the research of jailbreaks might be able to benefit and/or profit from it? Isn't that kind of how the world works? None of the technologies we use today would be possible without the work of scientists and researchers in the past. If he doesn't like that, he shouldn't work in research (security research or otherwise).

4. Bl0ckHe1d thread starter macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

May be wise to be careful on what you say on @i0n1c as he may well rape your credit cards/bank accounts (nothing to take from mine, spent it all! :rolleyes:)

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I agree ! :rolleyes:

Best to sit on the sidelines, watch and be amused ! :cool:

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think it's more that i0n1c is upset that his competitive advantage in iPhone security research may be eliminated. As he said, unreleased exploits are a valuable asset because they can't be patched by Apple. Right now he enjoys a situation where only a handful of people have the ability to jailbreak 5.1; but pod2g and the others will make it millions.

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Why does ionic1 even put out a JB video the day 5.1 is released and then not want to share it; And people thought geohot was bad.

8. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I salute pod2g for the hard work in giving the people want they want.

i0n1c is a prick full stop. I can't stand people that can do something but hold it back and brag about it.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think it shows why we should support people like pod2g and not ionic1. It's more and more clear he brings nothing unleas it benifits him alone.

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It would seem iconic is reaping what he sows.

11. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I can see where ionic is coming from, I mean him and others do all that work, just to have other people make a *****load of money off of them. I wouldn't want to release my jailbreaks unless I could make some money first, why work that hard just so someone else can come along and take the credit..?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought people that do work on the jb's get donations.
    So all he has to do is put out a jb program and people will send something.
    Or he can do what he does now and not release anything and stay on the sidelines and hate and talk junk about others who do release their stuff to the public.

13. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I could foresee you and many other users having a huge b-tchfest if a dev were to release a paid jailbreak :rolleyes:

14. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I wouldn't mind if it was paid, if that means that as soon as a JB is done it can be released asap without being held back? Why not...can't get everything free in life..besides these guys put alot of work into these JB's..why shouldn't they make a little cash off their hard work..

----------

Btw, I am not completely siding with the guy lol, but I am not gonna go bashing him..if he doesn't release his JB someone else will..and life will go on..

15. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

The #1 profit maker from Jailbroken iOS devices is Saurik @ Cydia.

Does that mean i0n1c is mad at Saurik for making money off Jailbreaks too?

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

Is it possible that ionic is just upset because there is a chance that the exploits used in Pod2g's JB are the same or similar to his and therefore will get patched by apple? Just wondering...

I understand both sides of the debate. On one side hackers want to keep the JB free and accept donations. This way, they can work at their pace regardless of anticipation and expectation. When it's done and released, they theoretically receive donations for their work. But on the flip side, they could charge money for the JB and sell their work. However that is tricky because not only is there added pressure on the hackers to finish and release their product (which is well documented that they work on this in their spare time) but once the product is released and after a very small percentage of end users buy it, the software will hit the net and be illegally downloaded for free. So going with ionic's direction it is very unpredictable and murky while increasing responsibility and expectations tenfold (just a guess at increased unrest) just to have the JB bootlegged the moment it's released.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the current "free" method is much easier on the hackers and much more predictable from their perspective. I could go on about this debate because I understand both sides of the coin and I'm also having withdrawals because my 4s is on 5.1.

If you told me I could pay $40 or $50 right now for a JB (with some kind of guarantee that if I need to restore I could JB again for free) I would not hesitate to pay. But I can't so I'll patiently wait like everyone else!

Have a great day everyone!

17. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

i0nic is a prick! End of! If he is gonna brag about crap then not do anything i.e release a package ihe deserves all he gets...or doesnt.

I cant view his twitter feed as he blocked me a fee months ago for arguing with him! Lol

18. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

Nobody OWNS a jailbreak method, IMO.

The exploits are already there waiting to be found and used. Apple is ultimately the creators of any iOS exploits because they are the ones who built it in the first place.

Just because you found a way in first doesn't mean it's exclusive to you. Nor does anyone have to pay you anything for it.

If you don't reveal it right away, then chances are someone else will find it and reveal it themselves. Either way, it's not like it was "STOLEN". If you choose to sit on the jailbreak and someone else comes along and reveals it before you do, oh well.

The only thing on the line is EGO and the right to claim that you found it first.

Outside of that, nobody owes anyone anything.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    BTW, I found the moon first:D

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I really don't understand his pov. He certainly wasnt the first to jailbreak, nor will he be the last. There are certainly other uses for his skillset beyond ios security research. If he doesn't like how the iOS scene works, then he should look for work elsewhere. $60k isn't a terribly large sum of money; at the right firm he could easily clear $200k/year.

21. G3N0M3 macrumors newbie

I have no issues with ionic's stance, he wants to get paid for the work he does which is reasonable. What irritates me was his childish teasing. If you don't intend on releasing the JB then don't put out videos teasing the community that you have one. He deserves every bit of hate he is recieving for that senseless tease.

I advise all of you who care about JBing to donate to devs like pod2g and chpwn. Even if it's just $5 it helps to know you're work is appreciated. Those guys put in a lot of work to bring us IOS freedom so please show them some appreciation.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, since he talks out of his ass about "rumors" of a "secret cadre" of people around Cydia "making millions," I would say yes.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ionic1 always does this I 1st heard of him because he had a jailbreak for the PS3 he bragged about it and then told everybody he was never going to release it.. he is simply a jerk/ funny thing he helped right a book on jailbreaking and hacking. I'm wondering if it will have the dame personality he has or if it will actually teach others how to jb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118204123

24. TC25 macrumors 68020

That's like saying the statue is there, inside the marble waiting to be found by the artist. :rolleyes:

25. The Highlander macrumors 6502

I have said it a million times...

If jailbreaks were PAID, we would have jailbreaks the very first day a new os/phone is released... We would have a company dedicated to do so and the only one that would benefit is US!.

Make it paid for $10-$20-$30. I donated $30 last time.

Once you have the glory... what is the incentive of more glory? In turn.. everyone likes mo'money!

Its still work... since they can do it they have their motivation to do it to their device. Being able to complete a jailbreak for mass release is a lot more work and the best motivator is good compensation!