Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's a runaway success.

Like it or not, it's for addicted players exercising, and in my books that's a huge plus.

Reactions: d00d

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Here's what needs to happen...

1. Apple makes deal with Nintendo/Pokemon Co.
2. Future Nintendo/Pokemon games become iOS exclusives
3. $$$ :cool:

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
It's a fun and simple game. My kids, wife, and mother-in-law all play it. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal for many.

If you had stability issues when the game came out, they have since updated their app and fixed many bugs. But there are still some server load issues when demand is the highest.

Reactions: iAbc21

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Here's what needs to happen...

1. Apple makes deal with Nintendo/Pokemon Co.
2. Future Nintendo/Pokemon games become iOS exclusives
3. $$$ :cool:

iOS Exclusives are not going to happen as long as Niantic is involved seeing as that company is practically Google.
I also don't see how Nintendo would get anymore money by making it iOS only anyway.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
You aren't familiar with the dev process at scale are you?

What... you do no testing, make something that's in no way fit for production and then just sorta wing it by releasing the software and patch it on an ad-hoc basis?

Yeah great SDLC there mate, especially for a company with billions at its disposal (and a pretty simple app TBH... heard of Google Maps? It's essentially that. There shouldn't be so many issues!

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
What... you do no testing, make something that's in no way fit for production and then just sorta wing it by releasing the software and patch it on an ad-hoc basis?

Are you referring to the game developers or Apple? ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My mother died earlier this month and Pokémon Go has been an amazing distraction for me and a way to get myself out of the house in the evenings. Staying busy and distracted is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing, so I am thankful that it came out when it did.
I'm sorry for your loss and glad you found something like this to help you through.

I run into some server issues so I haven't really gotten the chance to get into the game that much.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Apple unveiled the statistic to iMore's Rene Ritchie this morning.
Unveiled? Mental images of them drawing back a curtain revealing a large flaming sign.
In Japan, Pokémon Go today launched with a McDonald's sponsorship deal, hinting at future methods Niantic will use to monetize the game.
It's only a hint if you don't follow Niantic's previous game, Ingress, where this was done a number of times.

(BTW, Ingress is a much more involved game, with serious strategy - in comparison, Pokémon Go thus far is more like a pastime - walk around collecting moar Pokémons, and then...? Take over a gym? And hold it for ten minutes before someone else takes it over? In Ingress one can reinforce Portals* and link them together, making them ever more difficult to tear down, and the overall goal is to link portals into triangular fields, building into ever larger groups of fields - you can tell who's winning, locally and globally, by looking at Ingress' Intel Map to see whether an area is mostly green or mostly blue. And I've seen fields that cover parts of multiple states, that took serious planning and teamwork to pull off. Don't get me wrong, I like both games - As an Ingress player, I started playing Pokémon Go to see what the Niantic folk were up to, and I find it quite entertaining - but given what Niantic has done with Ingress, over time, Pokémon Go has the potential to become an even more involving, and also much more strategic, competitive, team-based game over time. Like I said, it's a bit more like a pastime right now.)

(P.S. For those just tuning in, Pokémon Go uses all the location/landmark data collected over the last three years by Ingress players - your local PokéStops and Gyms, with their locations, names, and pictures? Those are all Ingress portals, which were submitted by Ingress players. You're welcome.)

I wonder why Apple doesn't feature it on the front page of the App Store.
I'm sure they're working on a complete re-skin of the App Store into the PokéStore.

Seriously though, I think this has happened once or twice before (not to this scale) when Apple was caught a bit by surprise and they want to work out something substantial.

I'm just glad there's finally some Pokémon news on the front page again - I was getting worried.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
My mother died earlier this month and Pokémon Go has been an amazing distraction for me and a way to get myself out of the house in the evenings. Staying busy and distracted is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing, so I am thankful that it came out when it did.
I am sorry, Juli. I hope your heart heals in time.

Reactions: iAbc21 and jclo

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Yeah great SDLC there mate, especially for a company with billions at its disposal (and a pretty simple app TBH... heard of Google Maps? It's essentially that. There shouldn't be so many issues!
Yeah, you've gotta be completely incompetent to not plan on scaling to the largest mobile game in history in a matter of a couple days. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, the main issues were simply so many people trying to sign up at one time. Account creation. Basically, one time spikes. That's why there was no point in delaying expansion. Get all the sign up spikes out of the way, so you don't have to deal with them over a longer period.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Someone Lured the three Pokestops that are in a small park at my apartment outside Boston last night around 8:30PM. I estimate that at least 50 people showed up within minutes. They swarmed the place for the 30 minutes the lures were active and were more or less gone within 10 minutes after they were over.

Pretty strange sight.

Myself and another player spent some time last night building up the Gym in that park to level 10 for Valor. By midnight it had already been taken down and turned blue...

This game is CRAZY popular right now.

I don't know how much staying power it has... but the shear number of people playing it right now is truly incredible.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
iOS Exclusives are not going to happen as long as Niantic is involved seeing as that company is practically Google.
I also don't see how Nintendo would get anymore money by making it iOS only anyway.

Agreed... to me it doesn't even feel like a Nintendo game. Sure it uses their IP, but it feels like a hodge podge Google game. Played it for a weekend, didn't see any reason to be distracted by it and canned it because I figured it's essentially a Google fishing expedition for where you walk to during your day + what businesses you visit. The 'augmented reality' isn't even that amazing... once you understand the physics, you realise that the pokemon don't change with your environment (they are the same overlay and there's no point crashing your car to catch them - just drive 100m down the road, stop and they will still be locked to your camera, walking through walls and stuff).

Overall, really not something to get over-excited about. Call me a tinhat, but Google's goal is clearly just to track people as much as possible (with Nest tracking the temperature, Pokemon tracking their movements and their searce tracking what you're thinking throughout the day). This gives them freakishly accurate searchs, but I find DDG isn't far off WITHOUT tracking you.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It's a fun game, to be sure, though I won't be contributing toward their possible 3 billion in profit from IAP. I just don't see the need. Though I know a guy who's already sunk nearly a hundred dollars into this game, so clearly at least some people see a need.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
My deepest sympathies for your loss. I am quite touched to read this - I discovered Ingress a few weeks before my wife passed away (quite unexpectedly) and the distraction and excitement of the game, the necessity of getting out of the house for long walks, and the local Ingress community, helped keep me sane. Hang in there.

Last edited:

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Gulping clean air, meeting new people, and having fun? I don't play it myself, nor have any desire to. But in this modern technological era, it's refreshing to see.

You'll be happier if you see the more positive side of things, I think :)
Crashing into cars, getting robbed by someone, probably raped too.

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.