Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I had Pokemon Blue, and my brother Pokemon Red. We both started with the respective starters of the game (Squirtle for me, Charmander for my brother).

Ah that's great! That's a really nice story. If you managed to get a high enough level for Squirtle's water gun, you'd have ploughed through Brock!

Charmander was just a tough choice. I feel for your brother! It's difficult to fight an Onix with either a Weedle or a Nidoran.

Did you have a trading cable or anything? Ever battle? :D

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Actually, the BMW could very well be safer than the Chevy. Rationalizations go the other way, too. :)

I don't play the game anymore, but why does this have to be black/white to you? It's not as if most people never saw the light of day and never socialized outside before Pokemon Go came along.
I just don't like the people trying to rationalize their playing of the game to me when it is all B.S.

I know a guy that will benefit from this game....the socially akward loner that is incapable of making friends. It will be amazing for him. That is great. It's the fully functional adult idiots that I have the issues with. The ones playing at funerals and the like. The 30 year old trespassers. They guy playing while driving. The idiots that take it to the extreme.

This game will be great for a lot of people, a lot will take it to far and cause themselves and others issues. When things get to this level of fame...it brings out the morons unfortunately.

Reactions: AleXXXa

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Socializing? funny.
Yes, socializing. I've had some pleasant conversations with people I'd never met before, sitting in a nearby park where somebody had put up some lures. And this pattern has repeated a number of times for me personally and I've heard many similar stories from others. Playing Ingress, which is Niantic's predecessor to Pokémon Go (in some ways, PoGo is a mere re-skin of Ingress), I met a whole bunch of people, some of whom are now very close friends. Socializing doesn't have to only involve bars, sporting events, or alcohol, you know. ;)

(Actually, given that Ingress is a fairly competitive, strategic, and very physical game, one school of thought holds that it is a new kind of sport for nerds.)

Despite the crazy success, this game, PoGo is still in its very early stages - judging by what Niantic has done with Ingress over time, PoGo will get more involving, more team-based, and likely will require players to work together to accomplish larger goals (leading to periodic massive organized events - Ingress already has these). In Ingress this has led to large social communities growing organically all over the world.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I just don't like the people trying to rationalize their playing of the game to me when it is all B.S.

I know a guy that will benefit from this game....the socially akward loner that is incapable of making friends. It will be amazing for him. That is great. It's the fully functional adult idiots that I have the issues with. The ones playing at funerals and the like. The 30 year old trespassers. They guy playing while driving. The idiots that take it to the extreme.

This game will be great for a lot of people, a lot will take it to far and cause themselves and others issues. When things get to this level of fame...it brings out the morons unfortunately.
Because people have to be idiots and morons to care about different things than you?

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
You know the best part of This thread and every Pokemon thread, that has me grabbing my popcorn and having a laugh....

The complete and utter hypocrisy of apple apologists on MR who defend apple with insane rationalisations but accuse others of doing the same when it comes to Pokemon....

Love your quote..... Can be applied to every thread..... Lol

"These people are defending the game with insane rationalisations"

####### your debating this on an Internet thread....live your life #####
I challege you to find a post where I have defended Apple....let alone with insane rationalizations.
[doublepost=1469216813][/doublepost]
Because people have to be idiots and morons to care about different things than you?
If you are doing idiotic or moronic things like the examples I listed...yes! If you play the game like a normal human being...than I have nothing to say...enjoy the game.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I challege you to find a post where I have defended Apple....let alone with insane rationalizations.
[doublepost=1469216813][/doublepost]
If you are doing idiotic or moronic things like the examples I listed...yes! If you play the game like a normal human being...than I have nothing to say...enjoy the game.

Does liking comments count ?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
And out of the woodwork crawled every cynical, sourpuss misery guts to crap all over the game and people who play because.......who even knows? It's a game that doesn't involve sitting on your ass. People are enjoying it and that angers people for some reason.
Yep! Why, in my day, we didn't have any Pokeymans or smartyphones, we just had a stick! and a rock! and we liked it that way! and if you like something other than a stick or a rock, you're suspicious and wrong and I'm clearly better than you!

Though Monty Python does it much better:

"We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!"

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I'm surprised I had no problems with the app. I've got the worst luck when it comes to tech. I downloaded Instagram and immediately got "unknown error" when trying to sign up.

I wish they'd add more depth. I gave it a try. It felt great to walk around, exploring parts of my town I'd never been to, but the game had no depth, so I lost interest. Fortunately, I've repaired my bike now, so I can exercise that way.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Riding around in the car with the radio on doesn't require me to stare at the radio inches away from my face.
Instead, you have to stare at the road in front of you. I don't call that a significant difference myself.

Point being that people have always done something to pass the time. There's nothing inherently worse about a mobile game.
[doublepost=1469217666][/doublepost]
Sorry, I missed the idiot qualifier after fully functional human being. :)

Reactions: ErikGrim

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Does liking comments count ?
OMG have I actually liked a fan boy, Apple apologist, crazy Apple rationalization comment?????? :eek:

Please don't tell me you found one?!?!?!?!? :( That must have been a dark day. I hate watch bands!!!!! :D

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Time for me to watch that Star Trek episode from season 5 called "The Game". The episode was ahead of its time in ways... it even features things that look a bit like Google Glass and iPads but before they were even invented!

Reactions: CarlJ

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

You're trying extremely hard and putting a lot of effort into disliking something others enjoy. Even the weasely way you worded "my awkward loner friend will enjoy this but normal people shouldn't". Just let it go man, let others have their fun. You'll always get idiots, I mean can I group together all sports fans because of a few hooligans, all car drivers because some speed, all people going on holiday because some smuggle drugs? I expect to see you on the car threads here telling them what you think of the fractional minority who enjoy their hobby, hmm?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm all for going outside and getting clean air, but I don't think there's as much socializing as people think.
You're getting real actual first-hand reports from other forum members saying they're involved in, and seeing, a lot of socializing, but USA Today (who surely has absolutely no interest in sensationalizing a story to sell their papers or website) is telling you of some incidents of people getting it wrong. Why do you so strongly believe the latter over the former? Are you so certain that everyone who reports socializing is clearly an isolated freak incident and the news site has The Real Truth?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
And I still can't log in because I create an account with an accented character, and these characters won't appear in the login screen in the app. Pretty amazing that we still have problems with accents in 2016 with such a popular app. :(

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I had Pokemon Blue, and my brother Pokemon Red. ... Im not sure what my brother started with in Pokemon Go, but I went back to Squirtle!
Ah, but the real question is, did you both pick the same team in PoGo, or are you set up to be bitter rivals six months down the line? ;)

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
You're trying extremely hard and putting a lot of effort into disliking something others enjoy. Even the weasely way you worded "my awkward loner friend will enjoy this but normal people shouldn't". Just let it go man, let others have their fun. You'll always get idiots, I mean can I group together all sports fans because of a few hooligans, all car drivers because some speed, all people going on holiday because some smuggle drugs? I expect to see you on the car threads here telling them what you think of the fractional minority who enjoy their hobby, hmm?
You seem to be trying hard to make me seem like I am trying hard. And don't twist my words around to suit your posting agenda. I never said what you have in quotes.

You do always get idiots...and they are the ones I hate. Using your sports example...the Red Sox fan that calls out of work and beats his woman because the sox lost a game that he has NOTHING invested in. That person I do not like...I don't have a problem with anyone else who likes sports.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Crashing into cars, getting robbed by someone, probably raped too.

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.
The stories about unfortunate things that happen to people playing the game are a legit thing about which to be concerned...but they probably represent the tiniest fraction of players. Anything popular has its edge cases where nutty or dangerous things happen. I expect almost all of the players are having fun and being safe.

As far as there being reasons to go outside...I don't think whether there are reasons is the issue. Some folks don't get outside much. Some do. For many people, the game has increased their outdoors time, and their in-person socializing time. Whether your level of such things was low or high, getting more of it is a good thing!

Reactions: d00d and CarlJ

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I think the reason Apple are not promoting this at all is not just because of Google and Nintendo being competitors.

I think it is because they are jealous and bitter. I have no interest in this game, but I can see that it is a huge hit, and what's more a huge, viral mega-hit that has gone global and been a record-breaking success for Nintendo.

And when was the last time Apple had such an instant, huge hit? 2010, if we're honest, with the iPad. Apple are looking on this and pining, thinking, "Why can't we create hits like this anymore?" I’ll tell you why; it's because Steve Jobs has died.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I'm all for going outside and getting clean air, but I don't think there's as much socializing as people think. I've seen people playing this and they're walking around with their face glued to their screen as much (if not more) than before; to the point of causing harm to themselves and other people. I feel the amount of time people spend on FB, Twitter, etc. is just as sad.

http://www.cartelpress.com/pokemon-go-major-highway-accident-man-stops-middle-highway-catch-pikachu/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/21/bad-and-ugly-pokmon-go/87378730/
Anecdotal, but my daughter was visiting me when the game came out, and several times when she would come back in from going out and playing the game, she had stories about how groups of otherwise strangers would be bonding over the game, helping each other out with where they could find Pokemon to catch. There seems to be a level of interaction.

Reactions: d00d and CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.