Pokemon XY

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Generation 6!

Has anyone else got their copy yet? What starters did you pick? Did you get the cart or eShop download? Talk!

I'm an hour in and just beaten the first gym. It's really good! Definitely a new direction for the series.

2. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

We still have a long 8 hours to go out here in the USA :(

I'll be downloading X at midnight - this will be my first Pokemon game - I only dabbled in Black 2 for a few hours to see what the "fuss" is all about.

Going with Squirtle and Chespin - I have found memories of Squirtle in the TV show as a kid and was disappointed I couldn't find him in Black 2. I picked up the Blue 3DS XL Limited Edition for X and Y and can't wait to load it up later tonight!

----------

How is the music in this one - I heard it is more orchestral - enjoying it so far?!!

What starters did you get?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Shipped from Amazon on Thursday last, should be here Mon or Tues.

Out of interest what did people go for X or Y ?

I went Y..... Though not sure Y......

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Just started as well. Never missed a Pokemon game before and I'm so excited for this one, mainly because I have been avoiding spoilers like the plague for the first time ever since Pokemon Silver. :D

Oh and if you want to add me, here's my FC:
    Watabou: 2707-1615-3159
    Pokemon Y

I'll add back anyone that replies :)

I'm still in my room and just started the game. I'm picking Froakie mainly because I like frogs. And I got the Physical copy since I wasn't sure if it would fit in my 2GB SD card. I like physical versions better anyways. Not sure why Nintendo still charges $40 even for the eShop download.

5. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I've bought every game since day one but Gen 5 was the end of the road for me. To me it feels that theres a lack of that "natural" look that Gen 1 and 2 had Pokes had, now everything just looks cartoony.

I do like that slug dragon though.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Mine's sitting here in Columbus at the UPS distro point. I even spent the extra (on top of my Amazon Prime) to get the next day shipping, and I'm still not getting it until Monday. -.-

I got X, just for the pretentious looking deer.

I'll post up my friend code when I get my copy of X.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Y because Yvletal just looks so badass!

I haven't played since 3rd gen and even back then I only played to get the Pokemon I liked and get the badges. Now that I'm older (22) and understand more, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by all the things I've missed. EV's, IV's and now there's Super and core training which I'm not sure how they differ. Then there's natures and affection :eek:

I've spent way too much time today maxing out my Pokemons affection because apparently they're permanent but I kinda forgot what advantages that gives.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1obmol/max_affection_in_20_mins_0_to_5_hearts_pokemon/

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Think of how many copies they'd sell if it was on iOS! [/sarcasm]

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

With one of those gaming controllers I've seen floating around I'd buy one. Especially if you can interact with the 3DS version.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Many, many, many millions. [/notsarcasm]

:D

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Priced at $39.99?

Doubtful.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's A$60 here.

At say, A$40 they'd sell it by the truckload. A proper version of Pokemon for iOS might just be the first game to really open up the platform to higher-priced, higher-quality gaming.

People are paying that amount for it now - why wouldn't they pay that amount on another platform?

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

It's way more orchestral, lot's of "harp" sounds on the menu. It's still lacking that ultra-memorable punch the games had up until Gen 4. The stand out tracks for me have been the second village theme and Route 7. Battle music is good, but not as good as Gen 1. Gym Leader music is nowhere near as good as Gen 5's.

But the sound design is consistently really good.

I went with Y, Caroline went with X :) (our theme is I go for the red one, she goes for the blue)

1977-0309-7350 is mine :)

------------

A few things I've noticed;
    • 3D is worthless. It's only used in 1-on-1 battles and on the Pokedex, and even then it's really shallow and causes slowdown. Total mess.
    • The art is dreadful. Look at Pokemon on the 3DS Pokedex app and then this, the difference is immense. There is no texture filtering so it looks like an upscaled DS game.
    • Online is so seamless. If you're stuck somewhere and your team is in a bad way, start an online battle. Once you come out of it your team is restored (probably intentional to get people battling online).
    • You! Yes you! Sort out your Trainer PR video. Put some effort in!
    • Really feeling the lack of new Pokemon. I haven't seen too many new ones and I'm 12 hours in.
    • The way the EXP share works is great, it also feels like my team are levelling up much quicker in general.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pretty much goes for all 3DS titles for me. I just don't use the 3D slider at all anymore.

15. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I have never gotten this into a game before - in the 48 hours since it launch I have played it for 20 of those hours! - Love this game :)

----------

You guys do realize that X and Y are number 1 and 2 spot on Amazon USA store - it has dethroned GTA 5 - this seems to be big outside of Japan :)

16. Kurri macrumors 6502

i was thinking about picking this up. can anyone explain to me the gameplay? I have never played a pokemon game before. Also, what is the difference from x&y? are they two separate games?

17. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

This is my first Pokemon game too. At its core it is one of the best RPG games out there. The Pokemon aspects include catching and collecting different Pokemon and the great world it is set in. I'm a newbie to this series and am very much having a blast and loving X as a newbie.

X and Y are different games. The only difference in them are the Pokemon you find and some of the Mega Evolutions. I went with X because I like that letter better :)

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

You're a kid who sets out on an adventure with a few goals. You're supposed to
    1) beat all 8 "dungeons", then beat 5 tough bosses in a row to "beat" the story part of the game
    2) find, trade and breed Pokemon to get them all. There's around 700 of them now.
    2.5) there's a really deep breeding mechanic that is the main time suck for a lot of people.
    3) battle people online.

It's whimsical, light and deceptively deep. It takes around 30-50 hours to beat the story and there's not really an end to it. One of the few consistently great game series.

19. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I got X (because i love the pretentious deer)

My FC - 2809-8141-0865

Oh, and my starter is Fennekin

20. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Online play is surprisingly amazing in this release - I could see some people just battling their friends online - there is even voice chat - I love the 60 minute timer - I wonder if any 4 person battles take that long

21. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Okay, I'm having so much fun with this game. I love the artwork, personally, Kalos is really very pretty.

I'm about 23 hours in and just got my second badge. There's just so much to do in this game. Also, I'm just shocked at how many Pokemon are available to you even before reaching the second gym. I can only have 6 but there's so many choices! I even saw Bagon and Axew. That's pretty amazing, considering those are one of the best Pokemons.

The only thing I didn't like though is when I got into Lumiose City. That city is huge and I love it but the camera kinda sucks in that city. Plus the skates make is that much difficult to move around. They're not too accurate. It took me ages to find the cafe where I was supposed to be going to.

I also like how you're able to change your character's look. I just got a haircut in Lumiose. Although, I tried to enter the clothing shop but they said I wasn't cool enough. :(
    I also paid a crazy amount of money to sit in a restaurant. I even tipped $5000 and didn't even get a thanks, what a waste of money haha. :eek:

My team currently is:
    Frogadier
    Floette
    Honedge
    Fletchinder
    Snorlax

All level 25, but at the second gym still. I don't think I'm overlevelled since the second gym leader had a Lvl. 25 Pokemon.

Added, thanks! :)

Go for it! Pokemon is great fun and I'm having a blast with this one!

The basics of the gameplay is this: you are a kid who gets a monster to start you off on your journey to become the Pokemon master. Along the way, there is great story, battles, music, trading, and collecting! Basically, the "goal" of Pokemon is to travel the whole region that the game is set in with your team of 6 Pokemon, and defeat the gyms around the region. The gyms each have a boss which you have to defeat. Defeat 8 of those bosses and you get to go to the Pokemon League to battle the Elites and then the current Champion of this region. If you defeat the Champion, then you get to be the new Champion! The game is never really over and there are over 700 Pokemon to catch. Honestly, the strategy involved in battling is amazing. Pokemon can have different abilities, items that they can hold, different moves, evolutions, and much more. :D

X and Y are separate games but they have very few differences between them other than exclusive pokemon. So for instance, in Pokemon Y, you get Yveltal and in Pokemon X, you get Xerneas (those are the two "legendary" pokemon). Other than those little differences, they are pretty much the same game. Besides, you can get all the pokemon by trading with people online or with friends locally.

22. Kurri macrumors 6502

thanks for the feedback, sounds like i must check this out :)

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Where can I catch Honedge? Just caught Snorlax.

24. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yup, I found him right after I caught Snorlax. He's in the route just below Parfum Palace (Route 6). There's a nice walkway you go through and then after coming to the other side, you will find that there are three paths and you just came from the middle path. So just take the left or right paths down and enter a grassy area. :)

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Great thanks! Can't wait to get the official guide :D