POLL: 5S users, have you turned off TouchID passcode?

Do you use TouchID to unlock your phone?

• YES, I use it and it works great

Votes: 100 67.6%
  • YES, I use it but it is a pain sometimes

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • NO, I disabled it because it didn’t work well

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • NO, I don’t use it because I don’t care about a locked iPhone

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I am curious to find out if others are using the TouchID passcode option after all these months. I tried and tried to use it, but found it very frustrating.

I wish there was an option for a time-delay when using fingerprint security.

TribeFan1

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
I still use mine. It is incredibly convenient, much more than I thought it would be and in my experience is fast and accurate

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've had my 5s for less than a week, but I'm loving Touch ID. Works 90% of the time for me, and is consistently much faster than even just unlocking the phone by swiping with no passcode set. It's faster even if I have to give it a second shot if it fails the first time.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Still using it. Sometimes it takes a few tries. Still wish it worked better.

Not working for iTunes purchases even though I turned it on.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
It's okay and I still use it though I wish we could set a lock time like for the regular passcode.

RokkenRock

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
It works like a charm, especially when you get the hang of it. It unlocks even faster than having no pass code. I can even use a more complicated pass code than a simple four digit I used before.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Where is the poll?
Sorry, I apparently didn't click the right button. It is working now!

---

I'm interested that so many of you like it. It seems like I had to re-train my TouchID on a regular (weekly or so) basis for it to be even remotely usable. Otherwise it would take around 3 attempts each time I tried to unlock the phone with my thumb. I have chronically dry hands -- I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I am surprised at how well it works. I use it all the time. However, my wife is unable to use it. I thought she was doing something wrong but my son and I both tried to help her set it up and it does not seem to work with her fingers. Very strange.

RokkenRock

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
I am surprised at how well it works. I use it all the time. However, my wife is unable to use it. I thought she was doing something wrong but my son and I both tried to help her set it up and it does not seem to work with her fingers. Very strange.
Mine has problem recognizing my wife's left thumb. We've set it up a couple of times but the result is not good.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
My first iPhone 5S' Touch ID didn't work great: once out of three. It was very bothering. Got is stolen since, and received a replacement two weeks ago. Works PERFECTLY, 0 miss!

Halcyon3608

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
I love TouchID. The only time I've had to re-enter my fingerprints is when iTunes crashed during an update and I had to reset my phone. I very, very rarely get the "try again" message. Originally, I only used the function for the novelty factor since I don't care about securely locking my phone, but it's turned out to be a much more convenient/efficient way to get to the homescreen compared to slide-to-unlock (w/o a passcode).

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
When I first heard the rumors that Apple was going to add this to the iPhone 5S. I thought it would be a gimmick, and would not work that well. I got my iPhone 5S last Monday. Man was a wrong. I love touch ID. Before on my iPhone 5 I never used the pass code because I thought it was a pain. Now I love having the security. Works great for me.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I have never locked my iPhone and see no need for it. All sensitive data is keep in Keeper, an incripted vault. I do not leave my phone laying around for someone to steal.

Useless feature for me

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I have never locked my iPhone and see no need for it. All sensitive data is keep in Keeper, an incripted vault. I do not leave my phone laying around for someone to steal.

Useless feature for me
For me it's not about security, it's about convenience. Especially in the app store. Being able to thumbprint a purchase from the store instead of putting in my AppleID password is super handy.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It works just about every time except for when I'm holding my phone at a strange angle. Aside from that, when I take my phone out of my pocket now, I place my finger on the home button and press. It is almost always unlocked and ready to use before I even see the screen.

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Still using it. Sometimes it takes a few tries. Still wish it worked better.

Not working for iTunes purchases even though I turned it on.
Settings > general > restrictions > scroll down to 'Require password' and ensure that is set to '15 minutes' NOT 'immediately'.

And Touch ID works flawlessly for me :)