POLL: Anyone wish that they'd bring back the iPhone 2G look?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iObama, Dec 24, 2008.

?

Anone wish that they'd bring back the iPhone 2G look?

1. Yes, I like the original aluminum and plastic backing.

40 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Yes, but with a curved back.

34 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. No, I like the new plastic backing.

42 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. No preference.

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the new iPhone 3G is that I don't like the way it looks. However, I do like the curved back of the 3G, as I feel that it's easier to hold when vertically typing.

Anyone feel the same?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

I don't have "issue" with it, per se... I just prefer the look of the original aluminum.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well isnt the curved back and the plastic really the only differences look wise?

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I wish they would bring back the aluminum look, but curved and without the black plastic at the bottom, but that cannot happen because it's aluminum. My solution would be glass or a ceramic, which was speculated to be a solution for the iPhone 3G, but never happened because plastics are so cheap - not sure about durability as in being dropped - and a glass would certainly not scratch as easy as the current 3G plastic backing. Tough situation, but I think Apple went the right way with the 3G, or at least made the best of the situation.

7. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

8. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

Well yeah, but that's the whole point of the thread...

I actually do like the black plastic on the bottom of the aluiPhone though, for some reason.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sorry, cannot currently happen with the spread of antennae in the iPhone 3G, would love full aluminum backing.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I am a big supporter of bringing back the aluminum concept. I mean, Aluminum is now standard in almost all Macs (except Mac Mini and entry level MacBook). Also, from the environmental point of view, aluminum is better (which what Apple tries to be, environmentally friendly).

Also, I love the aluminum finish. Its a bummer aluminum can kill signal a bit. However, that doesn't kill the looks.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Didn't like the aluminum back b/c it dented really easily...

12. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502

iObama

The Mac mini is aluminum also. (Unless you are saying the plastic top takes away from the "standard-ness" of aluminum in Apple products...)

EDIT: 100th post!

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I actually prefer the plastic back of the 3G - looking at the old ones now they just look really dated.

Signal strength is also a factor and the plastic ones have much better reception.

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

An enthusiastic yes!!!!

I enthusiastically agree!

I like the look of the aluminum back, and hate the look and feel of the plastic therefore I, too, decided to skip the current 3G model. Hopefully, Apple will ditch the plastic in favor of another, more aesthetically pleasing, material.

Jude

15. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I like the new backs of the iPhones more than the other one, more because it feels (and really looks like) the former iPhones scratched much more easily.

When I look at the old one it does look, in a sense, classic. :)

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

The 3G iPhones look way better than the originals, IMO! The plastic black on the new iPhone is VERY sexy! Too bad I have a case covering it up.

17. WillieG macrumors member

WillieG

I've had my 1st generation iphone for over a year... It's a keeper and still beautiful. The plastic gives it an inferior feel.... I'm sorry, just my opinion, no offense intended.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Agree 100%.

I left my original for two days for a 3G and the original definitely has a more solid, durable feel. Looks better too, IMO.

And last but far from least, I'm comfortable with not babying this phone. I dropped it again while I was at Subway (distracted by a super-hot asian girl) and brushed it off like it was nothing, after checking the screen of course. Netted myself a decent gouge in the aluminum and scuff on the bezel just above the silent switch. More character!!:D

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Hot Asians have that effect on me, too. :D

Luckily I haven't dropped anything of significant value. ;)

I like the AL back - but wouldn't mind the Polymer reception, though.

Glass, FTW!

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

As an owner of the 3G, I still like the look of the older version.

21. davyreins macrumors 6502

I don't really like the look of the 2g because it is part aluminum and part plastic (pretty sure that's what it is). The black bottom looks a little out of place in my opinion. I would rather it be all one or the other. Having all aluminum would be pretty cool aesthetically, but I don't know if the issues with signal strength would be worth it.

It's all opinion though and I don't feel too strongly either way, both models look pretty good.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I too like the look of the original iPhone so today I bought a 4GB iPhone. It's sealed in the box as an Apple Certified Refurbished iPhone. Sweet. I can't wait to get it.

23. rumourguy macrumors member

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

good point - an all aluminum backing would be beautiful. Would this affect 3G reception, though? So what I'm really asking is that if plastic was implemented as a cost-cutting measure mostly or was it really for reception as Apple has put it?

25. MST macrumors 6502

MST

As the owner of both a 2G and a 3G I can confidently say that whilst I prefer the ergonomics of the 3G the 2G is much more aesthetically pleasing; that is to say that if Apple could come up with a handset that has the looks of the 2G but feels as comfortable to hold as the 3G then I think they'd be on to a winner (not that they aren't already with over 5 million sold :p).