Poll: Do you take good care of your Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Aug 18, 2008.

?

Do you take good care of your Mac?

1. The slightest blemish sends me into a fit.

50 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. I am careful, but not bothered by a scratch or two.

84 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. As long as it works properly I'm happy.

20 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. I tend to destroy things through clumsiness/carelessness.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Where do you rate yourself on the scale?

I'm in the middle...I take my PowerBoook everywhere and it's been to some pretty dirty places. I've dropped it four times and wiped out on my bike while it was in my backpack. It has a few dings and scratches and I never clean the screen. I used to be more anal about it but this thing is a tool to me now, so I'm more concerned that the data is safe than I am about getting a scratch.

My desktop gets treated better because it's in a more controlled environment, of course.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To create a thread with a poll you have to create the thread and then go and add the poll. This is just how it works so there is alwaus a time when there will be no poll.

If you check the OP's profile you will see he is creating a poll as we type.

In regards to the question my macbook goes almost everywhere with me so naturally it gets a little abuse however it is only minor. So yes I do take good care of it.

4. alFR macrumors 68020

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

6. mr.light macrumors 6502

I try to take very good care of my iBook and I think after 5 years it still looks really good. I take it back and forth to work with me every day, always in its laptop bag. Even though I try to take care I have not been without incidents. I have dropped it onto the floor on three separate occasions ( all due to the power cord getting yanked, Sure wish I could put a Magnetic plug on this thing!). The third time it broke the hinge which I had to replace. Other than that It is kept clean and relatively scratch free.

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have done the classic "trip on the power cord" routine three or four times. Every time I've been on carpet, the computer was asleep and have gotten lucky - no damage. The bike wipeout was a miracle; I did a flip over the handlebars and landed on concrete on top if the computer (on my back). One corner of the case had a small ding in it and that was all. :eek:

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I take extremely good care of all my gadgets and gizmos. My 5.5G iPod, even though it's a year old hasn't got a single scratch on the back - only gets placed on soft surfaces and goes into completely empty pockets and stuff. I'm the same with my Macs, though once I did spill a can onto my BT Apple keyboard (fat).

I was eyeing up a thin keyboard at the time though, making push come to shove ;)

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I personally fall in b/w option 1 and 2!

Though my friends tend to think I'm mad about my computers and gadgets!:p

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

My ibook is scratched now and gets slightly mucky so easily. And the little feet have fallen off making it get more scratches:mad:

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

lol when i trip on my powercable for my MBP i pause on one leg and wait for the sound of a MBP to hit the deck

touch wood , not yet

Thank steve jobs for giving me a Magsafe connection lol

BTW my screen is Diiiiirrrrty too:cool:

12. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I should put in a vote on the fourth category for my youngest brother. He has a 2-year old Nano and I can't believe it made it that long. The screen is cracked, it had deep scratches all over the place and the charging port feels a little loose. It finally died last week. His Mac Mini is also beat up - I don't understand how he gets it so scratched up just sitting on a desk. :confused:

13. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I take good care of my gadgets in general. However, I use them, so they have some wear and tear. I have never dropped my iPhone 3G (have only had it for 3 weeks, however ;) ) or my MacBook (3 years now). However, my MacBook does have many scratches, and the area near the palm rest where the latch is has started to come off, which seems like more of a build quality issue rather than how I treat the computer :mad:

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

oh, im anal. i clean it all the time. carry my laptops closed, not with the screen open. freak out when i have to walk up or down stairs with it, incase the stair gods push me down the steps leading to the death of my laptop. no food or drinks. dont touch the screen and please, please, please, do not block the vents!!

otherwise im pretty chill about it!:D

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Likewise.

My electronic "toys" cost money, hard earned money. So I want to take care of my "toys" so they last very a long time.

The longest electronic gadget that I have that still works was made in 1977. So that's like 31 years ago -- older than many MR members I think. :)

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm crazy protective of mine. On our recent try to NY, no one touched the bag it was in but me, even though it was heavy and I got tired. I won't let any family members touch it, much less anyone else! I don't clean it as often as I should, though, and since I'm always using it, I have to admit that I have occasionally gotten food on it!

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I take care of my electronics as best I can (they are pretty pricey after all) but I don't freak if there's a scratch. Unlike some iPhone users... My TiBook is a little scratched, but still going strong with no hinge issues or warps; just treat your stuff with respect and it should be functional for a very long time.

18. Tosser macrumors 68030

I used to take good care of my MBP. But after having had it replaced so many times and after the pitting on the palmrests began, I really don't care anymore. I have been planning for a long time to buy a no-nonsense Thinkpad next. I'm just waiting for this thing to die (or becoming "obsolete").
    It's a tool, and I do take care of my tools, but not to the extent that I won't put that "hammer" to use for fear of scratching it or breaking the handle.

I have other equipment I take reasonably care off, though. But in general I prefer to buy equipment that will stand up to real work, rather than something that needs to be pampered and put in a glass cupboard with a sign at the bottom saying "Do not touch. Do not use. Do no remove the protective plastic wrappings".

I'm anal about other things, though: Creating the best damn "product" I can when I use my tools.

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have a Mac Pro, so the chances of it getting scratched are small. But if anyone touches the screen I get angry! HANDS OFF MY SCREEN! :)

Seriously, then I need to stop what I am doing and give it a clean. Fingerprints are really distracting.

20. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i did the same thing on my trip to ny.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I would say I do.
    From time to time the get a little beat up, and its bothers me,but I get over it.

I'm more interested in my iPhone/iPod since they face more risks in a day

22. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Oh the irony!!!!

I just set my laptop on the couch and it slid off onto the floor! :eek::mad:

It seems fine; I'm typing on it now. Sheesh.

23. Tosser macrumors 68030

Haha, that's timing for you! Consider yourself lucky :p

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's how I voted.

I used to be super duper anal. If I took my lappy anywhere, I had iKlear cloth and spray as well as the disposable wipes. But after a few different machines, I've gotten to a comfortable place where as long as it looks all right and works well, I'm good to go. I still wipe my lappy off every few weeks or if it gets visibly/noticeably dirty and I don't go banging it around, but I'm pretty casual about it all.

I just have to stop being lazy and back it up. :eek:

25. Tosser macrumors 68030

I forgot: that's one thing I'm anal about after all the ones that got exchanged. It's a b itch to having to reinstall and perhaps even loose work because of poor QC at Apple.

So at least they taught me that, if nothing else.