Poll: Do you take your notebook along on vacation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by localoid, Jun 2, 2007.

?

Have you taken your laptop along with you on a vacation?

1. Yes, I have.

87 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No, I haven't.

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I haven't, but I'm planning/hoping to do so in the future.

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. I take vacations to get far, far away from things like computers!

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Since a recent AP-Ipsos poll indicated that one out of five people took their laptop with them during their most recent vacation I thought it might be interesting to see how many MacRumors users do the same. :)

Please post how you use your laptop/notebook while on vacation in the thread.

Edit to add....

It also might be interesting to tell how you connect to the Net while on vacation -- do you connect via the hotel's wifi or via local hotspots (free or otherwise) and indicate if you check out availability of hotspots when planning your trip, etc.

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Oh yeah,

use to find local attractions, hours, lodging, activities, etc. Also check the email, but not for work.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Where's the poll?

What's a vacation?

Anyway, when I travel not for work (twice in eight years), I still take it with me. Lack of connectivity is not an excuse for me to fall behind. Besides, I don't like "surprises" waiting for me, or 500 emails of increasing stridency.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not when I'm taking my two pre-schoolers and have to carry all their diaper (nappy) stuff, strollers (buggies), and them.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i always take mine along. i use it for finding info on teh intraweb (local attractions, clubs, food, etc) and maps (updating tomtom on my cell phone and also hp nav under parallels).

it just gives me a peace of mind. :)

6. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

Now the poll is up! :p

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Got it! ;)

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't take my MacBook Pro with me on vacations because it's too expensive to risk being stolen.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I've never been on a vocation since I got my MacBook, but I plan to take it with me in future.

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I take mine with me and unload my pictures at the end of each day.

If the hotel as free wifi I'll connect on that to chat with a few people, but I'm not going to pay for internet on vacation.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i've taken it to FL a few times and when i went to China. It was a school trip so i needed it.
    Sometimes its a real pain to bring it through security.

12. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I took my mb with me on a working vacation, but it died!....must have been tellin' me something!

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I have but I don't any more.....which isn't really any of the poll responses.

I've discovered I can always find a computer at a hotel or internet cafe to deal with whatever needs doing. Dragging my own around just burdens me with something valuable to have to take care of when I want to be care free and having fun.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'll take it when going somewhere where I'll be staying with people I trust. If I get online, I'll hop on at their place or the airport (if the connection is free). Usually I take it if I plan on watching a movie on my flight.

But, I could never do work. I did study back in the day, but I'd never work.

Someone bring this thread back in ten years and I'll tell you if my answer is still the same.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's difficult to say. Am I backpacking and doing lots of things, or is it a lazy vacation full of museums and just taking in the touristy spots? I took it to Hong Kong and Japan because I knew I wasn't going to be staying in hostels. Plus, I had free time. I didn't take it with me to Perth, Tasmania, or Thailand because I didn't think I needed them, and it wasn't always relaxing. I didn't even bring my DSLR with me because I wanted to be free of all that stuff while backpacking.

I'm going to Japan in around 7 weeks, and I'm going to bring my laptop. :)

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

'Fraid so. In fact, I can't remember a vacation since the 90's when I haven't. Work-a-holics anonymous member, here. :eek:

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I never used to bring a computer, but now there's wirelss internet access everywhere and the temptation to at least check my e-mail or the news is too strong. Also, how would I get in an hour or two of World of Warcraft without it? I vacation from my work, not my Warcraft.

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i pretty much always take my notebook with me....even camping, but i sometimes don't even take it out

19. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Sorry there!

I don't bring my computer with me on vacation ever. As for those people who say they can use wifi and check email in their free time, etc.: Do something else. You're on vacation!

I for one like being away from my e-mail and ignoring the world.

When I stayed at hostels, there was always something to do. Absolutely no need for my laptop or technology in general, esp. at places with bars in the lounge. ;)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But like I said, there's a pretty big difference between staying in a hotel, and staying in a hostel with 6 or 8 other backpackers....people you don't know at all.

Bringing your laptop is OK, but even then, I hardly ever use it to check my email. Why should I? I'm on vacation! If I do, it's right before I go to sleep. Well that, or I'll post at MacRumours. My post count per day actually increased while I was in Japan. :eek: :eek:

21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I would be miserable on vacation if I didn't have SOME access to the internet. Do I spend all day locked up in my hotel chained to the computer? No. But I still want to check up on things during the down time.

So.. yes, I bring my laptop along with me...basically...everywhere I go. :p

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'm exactly the same way. My ex confiscated my Treo one time when we were in Vegas because she hated the fact I was so connected...and it was during WWDC...when Steve announced the Intel switch!!! I was in absolute agony!!! Good to see you're not like that! :cool:

23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

What a bitch! :p

24. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

No. But I do bring other gadgets to play with; camera, gps. Find it relaxing to be disconnected from the world for a few days. Everytime I come back I realise the world was doing fine without me. ( and the other way 'round....)

I generally go camping/backpacking though...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- my iBook goes absolutely everywhere with me. I can keep in touch with work, and I can watch movies on the train or plane.