Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you wear your Apple watch while sleeping?

• Yes

Votes: 124 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 105 39.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 35 13.3%

• Total voters

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
With my sport band that blocks inadvertent clicks of the buttons/crown, i can safely sleep without calling 911. This case is great for tracking sleep.

View attachment 766728 View attachment 766727
I never really thought about that. Is it that easy to call 911? you have to swipe after holding down the power button right? Would airplane mode be safe? or would it turn everything back on automatically to make emergency call...

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I never really thought about that. Is it that easy to call 911? you have to swipe after holding down the power button right? Would airplane mode be safe? or would it turn everything back on automatically to make emergency call...
I have worn an aw while I sleep since the first one was released and I never called 911

nokkynuk

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2017
Space City

I've only heard horror stories about people calling 911 by holding both the crown and the side button in. Doesn't that automatically start the countdown? You don't have to swipe to call 911. It just does it if you hold it down.

http://www.newsweek.com/apple-watch...me-accidentally-dialing-911-say-police-811938
[doublepost=1529424451][/doublepost]Edit: I'm correct. You can call 911 without sliding.

upload_2018-6-19_11-7-26.png

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I've only heard horror stories about people calling 911 by holding both the crown and the side button in. Doesn't that automatically start the countdown? You don't have to swipe to call 911. It just does it if you hold it down.

http://www.newsweek.com/apple-watch...me-accidentally-dialing-911-say-police-811938
[doublepost=1529424451][/doublepost]Edit: I'm correct. You can call 911 without sliding.

View attachment 766808
If someone can do that in their sleep that is awesome

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA

View attachment 766808
There is a setting in the watch app to turn off auto call.

Reactions: mavis

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For me, wearing my AW to bed wouldn’t be comfortable. Plus, I prefer charging my watch overnight like my iPhone so it has 100% juice in the morning before I leave for work.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
The S0 and by 8:00pm its in the single digits.
I had that one and the same battery situation. I noticed that it was much better when I had first gotten it. I recently bought the 3 and it is usually around 70% after about 12 hours of wearing it.

koolzero

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I finally updated my S0 to a S3 yesterday. It's 9:11pm and I have got 69% battery left and I've done two work outs. I took my watch off the charger at 6:30am. My S0 would have been toast a long time ago. With the way the battery is holding up I could get go a couple full days and get some sleep tracking out of it as well. When my S0 was new I could sleep with it on occasion or if I happened to charge it up mid-day, but it was never practical, however the newer S3 and probably the S4 could be a serious contender for a true sleep tracker.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I wear mine at night for sleep tracking, I just juice it up for half an hour while I’m getting ready for bed and half an hour when I’m having a shower in the morning.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I wear mine at night for sleep tracking, I just juice it up for half an hour while I’m getting ready for bed and half an hour when I’m having a shower in the morning.
That's what I do and I have no problem with the battery life throughout the day. I do keep a charger in my bag and one at my desk incase I need to juice it up during the day but so far I haven't had to do that but a hand full of times.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I've started to use mine for sleep tracking and only lose 3-5% overnight. Just stick it back on charge as I get ready for work.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I don't wear it while i sleep mostly because i'm scared i'll smack it during the night so better to safe than sorry its either on charge or switched off

Gaelic83

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
No, because the watch is nearly dead from wearing it all day
I wear my watch (2) to bed at night since it wakes me up in the morning with an alarm. I usually have at least %50 battery left at that time.I put it on the charger and after shaving etc. it is fully charged until the next morning. I've never had the battery run out in a 24 hour period. I am quite happy with this watch.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
For those that sleep with the watch on, doesn't the smudged-up screen bother you? I tend to keep my screen clean, throughout the day, and it bugs me when it's dirty. The 4-5 times I've slept with the AW on (since April 24, 2015), it's annoyed me that the screen is dirty when I woke up. Lol

Am I the only one who cares about this?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For those that sleep with the watch on, doesn't the smudged-up screen bother you? I tend to keep my screen clean, throughout the day, and it bugs me when it's dirty. The 4-5 times I've slept with the AW on (since April 24, 2015), it's annoyed me that the screen is dirty when I woke up. Lol

Couldn’t care less heh heh. I just want to see my sleep data.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA

Not sure what you're doing in your sleep :eek: mine is no more smudged than it gets wearing it throughout the day. I just wipe it off with my shirt like I do any other time.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Not sure what you're doing in your sleep :eek: mine is no more smudged than it gets wearing it throughout the day. I just wipe it off with my shirt like I do any other time.
I don't know - I've always hated smudged watch screens. My AW is absolutely PERFECTLY clean about 90% of the time. I even replenish the oleophobic coating once or twice a month ...

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I don't know - I've always hated smudged watch screens. My AW is absolutely PERFECTLY clean about 90% of the time. I even replenish the oleophobic coating once or twice a month ...
totally understand the annoyance. Mine just gets more smudged from actually using it than sleeping in it.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Tried to do this when my series 3 was new, but I got a rash just under the watch from the constant wear. This also happened with my previous (non-Apple) watch so just sensitivity, wrist needing to breathe. If I’ll ever want the sleep data, i’ll try the other wrist at night.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Tried to do this when my series 3 was new, but I got a rash just under the watch from the constant wear. This also happened with my previous (non-Apple) watch so just sensitivity, wrist needing to breathe. If I’ll ever want the sleep data, i’ll try the other wrist at night.
I had a problem like that until I switched to the Nike band

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I had a problem like that until I switched to the Nike band
Not anywhere under the band. Rash in a little area under watch itself. But only when I wore the watch day & night (22-23h/day). My skin is fine with just 17-18h/day watch wearing with any of my bands (sport, nylon, stainless steel, etc).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.