Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which unlimited plan are you going to switch to?

• AT&T Unlimited Plus - Tethering! It's a no-brainer!

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • AT&T Unlimited Choice - Nice and cheap!

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Verizon Unlimited - Unlimited on the best network!

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • T-Mobile One - Unlimited on the worst network!

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Sprint Unlimited - Scooby Snacks!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • AT&T Grandfathered Unlimited - Because change scares me!

Votes: 30 22.7%

• Total voters

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
My in-laws told me about Tmobile's promo to add another line on the family plan. I get unlimited data and pay $30/month. Even better, when we go overseas, I don't have to search for a local sim; the plan has (slow) international data.
I was paying about twice that to at&t. Since AT&T sent me a letter about the price increase on grandfathered, I was pissed. :mad:
When I called to cancel, they were trying to price match...too little too late.

How were they trying to price match? When I called and asked to speak to customer loyalty.. I got nothing.... in fact the CS told me that they could do nothing and I should switch carriers.

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
I still need to do more testing before I jump to conclusions, but is anyone else experiencing slow LTE speeds since switching to Unlimited Data Plus? I was previously on the old grandfathered plan and was hitting 14mbs+ easily. So far I can barely break 3mbs so I'm not sure if they put me on the choice version or not despite my account saying plus.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I still need to do more testing before I jump to conclusions, but is anyone else experiencing slow LTE speeds since switching to Unlimited Data Plus? I was previously on the old grandfathered plan and was hitting 14mbs+ easily. So far I can barely break 3mbs so I'm not sure if they put me on the choice version or not despite my account saying plus.
Did you restart your phone and possibly reset your network settings in your phone

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
How were they trying to price match? When I called and asked to speak to customer loyalty.. I got nothing.... in fact the CS told me that they could do nothing and I should switch carriers.
The rep told me she could price match whatever plan I was going to switch to; I really doubted that. I didn't even call customer loyalty, but got a random rep after I said "cancel service" on the automated system.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I finally got off my AT&T Unlimited plan that I've had since 2009 and switch all 3 lines to T-Mobile One. Identical service in my area at a fraction of the cost. No complaints at this point over here!

goblutes

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I held on to the GUDP out of principle since the beginning. I finally bailed on ATT and signed up with MetroPCS. I pay $90 for my wife and I to have unlimited and tethering. The TMO network works great for me. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm pleased with the service so far, having only sacrificed coverage in rural areas without sacrificing performance. I'm mostly pleased with a bill that is 40% less than what I was paying.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I held on to the GUDP out of principle since the beginning. I finally bailed on ATT and signed up with MetroPCS. I pay $90 for my wife and I to have unlimited and tethering. The TMO network works great for me. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm pleased with the service so far, having only sacrificed coverage in rural areas without sacrificing performance. I'm mostly pleased with a bill that is 40% less than what I was paying.

Why not just switch to T Mobile then for cheaper?

Reactions: clunkmess

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I am trying to figure out what works best for me. I have the following plan on a 5s

29.99 300 minutes
10.00 unlimited text
40.00 unlimited data or is it 45? Idk
+ 25% fan discount applies to everything
My bill after tax is 71 dollars

New plan, + 15% military discount they told me I could get said I could have it at like 58 dollars before tax, but then factor 5 for autopay. But I'd have unlimited talk vs my 300 minutes

Guess the only thing I worry about is the data; I use Pandora all day everyday, and my iPhone maps, can 3mbps run pandora and waze and iPhone maps at same time?

Will I notice my internet browsing be slower? Things load slower? I burn thru like 10-17gb a month on my phone.

What would you do?

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I am trying to figure out what works best for me. I have the following plan on a 5s

29.99 300 minutes
10.00 unlimited text
40.00 unlimited data or is it 45? Idk
+ 25% fan discount applies to everything
My bill after tax is 71 dollars

New plan, + 15% military discount they told me I could get said I could have it at like 58 dollars before tax, but then factor 5 for autopay. But I'd have unlimited talk vs my 300 minutes

Guess the only thing I worry about is the data; I use Pandora all day everyday, and my iPhone maps, can 3mbps run pandora and waze and iPhone maps at same time?

Will I notice my internet browsing be slower? Things load slower? I burn thru like 10-17gb a month on my phone.

What would you do?

If you're a single-line user, you're almost always better off on an MVNO prepaid plan.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
If you're a single-line user, you're almost always better off on an MVNO prepaid plan.

sorry, forgive me. I don't know what MVNO stands for. Its just a close choice, maybe 5 dollar difference, but I essentially sacrifice my my full speed for 3mbps, for full unlimited minutes.

If I wouldnt feel a difference i'd switch, but part of me believes 3mbps is slow as chit and would effect my gps, pandora, and everything else.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
sorry, forgive me. I don't know what MVNO stands for. Its just a close choice, maybe 5 dollar difference, but I essentially sacrifice my my full speed for 3mbps, for full unlimited minutes.

If I wouldnt feel a difference i'd switch, but part of me believes 3mbps is slow as chit and would effect my gps, pandora, and everything else.

Your instincts are correct. I'm averaging 44 mpbs over LTE on an iPhone 6 in NYC as we speak, trying to save a few dollars isn't going to be worth it, take the unthrottled LTE speed and don't look back.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Yes I did and I may just switch to Verizon ATT lie to me all the way now my 4 line sharing data and all the smart guys on this forum that attack me that every line has unlimited are wrong see what my home page say
MY PLAN
Unlimited
AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line
You’re sharing data with 4 devices.

and it shaw the total that I use what do I care what is my total data use if every line is unlimited I know i can see also every line but Total is just a proof that the DATA is sharing the talk is stated NON SHARING so the Massaging text

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes I did and I may just switch to Verizon ATT lie to me all the way now my 4 line sharing data and all the smart guys on this forum that attack me that every line has unlimited are wrong see what my home page say
MY PLAN
Unlimited
AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line
You’re sharing data with 4 devices.

and it shaw the total that I use what do I care what is my total data use if every line is unlimited I know i can see also every line but Total is just a proof that the DATA is sharing the talk is stated NON SHARING so the Massaging text

That's horrible what AT&T did to you.
They are wrong. Sue them...

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I've saved $20 -$25 a month by switching to the new unlimited. And I get tethering! This was a no brained for me.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I ended saving on 4 line $15 but before i hade Unlimited grandfather on each line no Sharing and 20% AARP discount so I lost the discount and now I have 4 line sharing data, guess what AT&T are not stupid the see what is happening people are dropping the cable companies like comcast and using the streaming video like Kodi amazon netflix hullo that will eat out a lot of data they wanted to kill the grandfather unlimited data.

rkhettry23

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
On the ATT Unlimited Plus plan are you seeing any different network speeds over LTE? I'm a bit confused by the wording in their fine print. Also what is the main difference between the Choice and the Plus plans? Just tethering data?

AT&T Unlimited Plans:
AT&T Unlimited Choice℠: Data speed limited to a max of 3Mbps. Plan isn't eligible for Stream Saver. For content we can identify as video, speed will be at a max of 1.5Mbps at standard-definition quality (about 480p). Data and video speeds will be capped at amounts shown above, regardless of the network your device is on (for example 4G LTE, 4G or 3G). Tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited (except for these products: connected cars, hot spots, and Wireless Home Phone & Internet).
AT&T Unlimited Plus℠: Includes the Stream Saver feature, which allows you to save data on content it recognizes as video by streaming higher definition video at standard-definition quality (about 480p) on compatible devices (unless the video provider has opted out). AT&T will activate the feature for you. Check your account online to see if the feature is active. Once active, you can turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Or, call 611 from your wireless device. Stream Saver won't recognize all video content. Ability to stream and video resolution may vary and be affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. Get details at att.com/streamsaver. HD video: You can turn Stream Saver off at any time to enjoy access to high-definition video streaming, if and when available. Tethering and mobile hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per device, per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill period (except for connected cars, Wireless Home Phone, and Internet). Except for those products, all tethering data use, including sponsored data if tethered, will be impacted and won't be fully functional.
AT&T Unlimited Choice & Plus Plans: For consumers only. Plan includes unlimited talk, text, data, and the Roam North America feature. Pricing: Includes monthly plan charge and per-device monthly access charge. AutoPay & paperless billing discount: $5 (off one device) or $10 (off multiple devices) per month credit off your plan charge requires being active and signed up for paperless billing and AutoPay (excludes credits cards). Discount will start within 2 bill periods. Offer subject to change and may be discontinued at any time. Devices: Sold separately. Limits: Select wireless devices only. 10 devices per plan. Unlimited Data: For use in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands (the "Domestic Coverage Area" or "DCA"). Data restrictions: After 22GB of any data use on a device in a bill period, we may slow the data on that device during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that period.

Been on my GUDP since the start and am hesitant to change anything. I don't have any discounts or anything and 3 lines + 1 LTE ipad. Currently getting ~50Mbps download an ~10Mbps upload.

Last edited:

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
For the record, I went from $165ish on my old grand fathered unlimited plan with unlimited talk and text to $109ish on the new grandfathered plan. I'm saving almost $60 a month and now I have tethering.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
At&t Grandfather Unlimited Plan my brother sold it for. $1,200 TOL transfer of Liability.
I use to sell Sprint SERO Plans TOL for $300 put me through college. That's when they were $30 a month no restrictions Unlimited Data and tethering. From 2007 to 2012 ah that was fun. Sold 2-3 a week.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
For the record, I went from $165ish on my old grand fathered unlimited plan with unlimited talk and text to $109ish on the new grandfathered plan. I'm saving almost $60 a month and now I have tethering.

The deferent is before the unlimited data was unlimited for each line its mean 22GB b4 maybe slow you down, now you share unlimited on all your line 4 line shared data the count is for all the line the moment you get to 22GB all of you may slow down they give you the break of each line just to confuse you any one that say deferent don't know or don't want to know ATT lie to me but the last CS was rude to me he was mad that I dare to argue about it and his last wards were is it share data it in writing in your bill

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
The deferent is before the unlimited data was unlimited for each line its mean 22GB b4 maybe slow you down, now you share unlimited on all your line 4 line shared data the count is for all the line the moment you get to 22GB all of you may slow down they give you the break of each line just to confuse you any one that say deferent don't know or don't want to know ATT lie to me but the last CS was rude to me he was mad that I dare to argue about it and his last wards were is it share data it in writing in your bill

It's just me on my account, but they announced in January they would throttle grandfathered plans at 22gb. You're saying it's handled differently?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It's just me on my account, but they announced in January they would throttle grandfathered plans at 22gb. You're saying it's handled differently?
Yes in the beginning they said 4 shared data but every line has unlimited that say every line has 22GB before sling down that line now they counting the the total of all 4 line and when 22GB rich they may slow down I hop a lawyer will make a good case of it

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
My AT&T service had dead spots in affluent areas and downtown, but I stuck with my grandfathered plan because I believed it was the right thing to do. So glad they finally pissed me off enough to investigate other options. I would not go back to using AT&T unless it was the only iPhone carrier again.

I only need one line and had been overpaying for service for years. Shudder.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
My AT&T service in Chicago had dead spots in affluent areas and downtown, but I stuck with my grandfathered plan because I believed it was the right thing to do. So glad they finally pissed me off enough to investigate other options. I would not go back to using AT&T unless it was the only iPhone carrier again.

I only need one line and had been overpaying for service for years. Shudder.

Some people live near an AT&T dead zone and blame AT&T for their poor choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.