Poll: How Do You Like Your Steak

How Do You Eat Your Steak?

• Total voters

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
mouchoir said:
You are asking them to take a beautiful juicy textured piece of meat and reduce it to a tough dry one
99% of the well-done steaks I've ever had have been perfectly tender and moist. There's nothing more off-putting than a bloody piece of meat :yuck:

Sean :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
seanf said:
Surely you mean a well-done steak with fried onions, chips and peas?

Exactly. No sauces, please. It covers up the taste of the steak. ;)

Medium rare = perfect. Not too raw, and obviously not too overcooked. Undercooked beef, or raw/rare beef doesn't have the same flavour that I like, so I'd rather eat medium rare than rare or raw or something. Cooked steak just has a great flavour that you shouldn't cover up with any sauces.

Actually, I eat completely raw beef as well, but only when served in a Korean dish (I think it's "dolsot biebimbap", but I can't remember the specific type, or how to spell it :eek: ).

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
lexus said:
It is really bad to eat poultry uncooked.

It wasn't uncooked!
It was rare, hot in the middle. Done properly!
I suffered no ill effects.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Depends on the marinade. When I was younger, when winter rolled around, it wasn't possible to grill, so we would broil. Broiling demands a strong marinade that also serves as a gravy. When that happened, anything from just shy of medium rare to a hint beyond was acceptable.

In the summer, when either a light marinade or no marinade at all is used, about halfway from medium rare to medium is perfect. I find that the seared exterior is not too much hotter than the cooler center (as opposed to medium rare which I find too cool), but the meat is still moist and flavorful.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
seanf said:
99% of the well-done steaks I've ever had have been perfectly tender and moist. There's nothing more off-putting than a bloody piece of meat :yuck:

I agree. I only eat well done...who wants to eat raw meat..ugh. I never understood this rare stuff.

Ive never had a problem chewing a well done steak

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Sometimes black and blue (if at a great steak house) or rare everywhere else.

I had a beautiful leg of lamb last night... rubbed with a new (freshly pressed) chilean olive oil, rosemary, garlic and salt and pepper. Basmati rice with sauteed mixed vegetables from our garden on the side ( red pepper, pattypan squash, cherry tomatoes, green beeans.)

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
njmac said:
Sometimes black and blue (if at a great steak house) or rare everywhere else.

I had a beautiful leg of lamb last night... rubbed with a new (freshly pressed) chilean olive oil, rosemary, garlic and salt and pepper. Basmati rice with sauteed mixed vegetables from our garden on the side ( red pepper, pattypan squash, cherry tomatoes, green beeans.)
No fair, gloating from the professional chef.

I like my steak rare with a seared outside to keep the juices in. Preferably on my own grill - I'm often disappointed by steakhouses.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Phat Elvis said:
No fair, gloating from the professional chef.

I like my steak rare with a seared outside to keep the juices in. Preferably on my own grill - I'm often disappointed by steakhouses.
haha... we don't eat that well every night. ;)

You have to find a great steakhouse, most are disappointing. Its not easy finding well marbled prime meat on your own.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
njmac said:
haha... we don't eat that well every night. ;)

You have to find a great steakhouse, most are disappointing. Its not easy finding well marbled prime meat on your own.
There's some top Wagyu beef over here, it just costs a pretty penny.

The Japanese are importing it from us and they were the ones who first came out with the stuff.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Chundles said:
There's some top Wagyu beef over here, it just costs a pretty penny.

The Japanese are importing it from us and they were the ones who first came out with the stuff.
ITs also called Kobe beef and I love burgers made from it.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
mouchoir said:
Asking for a steak well done is like insulting the chefs mother.

You are asking them to take a beautiful juicy textured piece of meat and reduce it to a tough dry one. It's their art you see, and it breaks their hearts to ruin good ingredients.
Obviously you don't have chefs that know what they're doing, we have a couple of good places that do an excellent job (not chain rest.). I cook them medium well to well done at home, and they're juicy and tender.

A good steak doesn't need anything with it, no sauce or marinade, just straight up, maybe a touch of salt & pepper to taste.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't need to eat much steak to satisfy me these days -- a 4 to 6 oz cut is just fine -- I like it medium.

Lamb is something I need to spend more time discovering :D

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I always take it medium rare. I like a small, lean fillet with a light peppercorn sauce, rosemary french fries and some assorted vegetables.

Steak has to be my favourite meal.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Well done, please. It's not every place that can do it properly.

If I'm doing it myself, I create a teriyaki marinade and let the strips of steak sit in it for 24 hours before grilling it. Otherwise, onions and mushrooms and a bit of gravy is good on the side.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
bousozoku said:
Well done, please. It's not every place that can do it properly.

If I'm doing it myself, I create a teriyaki marinade and let the strips of steak sit in it for 24 hours before grilling it. Otherwise, onions and mushrooms and a bit of gravy is good on the side.
Anyone can do well done.