POLL: How many new Mac Pros in this forum?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 11, 2008.

?

Did you buy a new Mac Pro?

1. My order has been placed or I have bought a new Harpertown Mac Pro already!

82 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. Buying a new Harpertown Mac Pro this month

48 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Waiting for Nehalem

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Not buying a Mac Pro

28 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The new mac pro seems to be selling like wildfire. Just curious to see how many here have bought one.

2. viltsu macrumors member

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Order Status: Not yet shipped, but they say it *could* ship as early as today (Jan 11th) and arrive as early as the 15th, so here's hoping ;)

This is my first Mac, let alone Mac Pro, and I can't wait for it to arrive!

-Bryan

4. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

nothing right diving right in, eh?

have fun!

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Is it that obvious that I'm sick of running windows? :rolleyes:

My current PC will be relieved of its painful duty and become a nice Linux fileserver for my network :D

I've been waiting to be a switcher since probably July :apple::apple:

-Bryan

6. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Man, the USA is just about to get to work and we already have 28 new Mac Pro Harpertowns in this forum alone! Amazing!

7. relbbircs macrumors regular

Ordered the 3.0 model, worth waiting for the better card. Should be a treat!

8. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Ordered. I was in front of the line as promised :)

9. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i'm waiting at least until macworld and i see some benchmarks with the new 8800gt card.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Got mine and LOVING IT! What took me 20 minutes to render something in Final Cut, now only takes 10 seconds!!!! AMAZING!!!!

11. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

Just ordered mine, but not shipping until FEB 14th! Bummer... but I have to get the 8800 for motion/aperture... Although, my 30" ACD is arriving tomorrow... so I can stare at a blank monitor for a month!

I wonder if Apple is over estimating the shipping time and it may ship earlier...? I hope anyway.

I look at it this way, if for some reason Apple announces some other option during MWSF, I can cancel my order and get whatever option may be missing.

I'm excited... and I will be even more excited when FCP can support all 8 cores... and even more excited when the issues with CS3 get worked out.

:apple:

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Ordered mine on Tuesday and it was delivered on Wednesday. Fantastic machine.

13. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

8800GT benchmarks?
    It was launched on October 29th.
    There are about a million web sites that have it's benchmarks.
    What are you going to compare it to?
    [​IMG]

14. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Got the basic 8 core with ATI card plus Airport/WiFi & a wireless mighty mouse.

1-2 weeks.

I will get the 8800 card in the future if I feel I need it with Final Cut Studio 2, After Effects, Shake, Motion & Photoshop.

15. jgree28 macrumors newbie

My new Mac Pro should be here Wednesday. I can't wait!

16. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Trust me, you won't need it right away. Machine runs awesome with the 2600XT with Final Cut Studio 2. I'm still in shock. haha.

17. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Thats good to hear - I'm new to video software (I'm a musician used to Logic Pro) so I doubt I'll be able to push the video software as I'm still learning it

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

Do you wish you hadn't waited and had just bought the previous Mac Pro last August? So you could have had nearly the same boost for the past 6 months? or are you happy to have waited?

19. FastMan macrumors member

Damn, darthraige, I was about decided to upgrade to the 3.2 for doing Final Cut work, but now you have me wondering if I really need to.

20. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I am so happy I waited for this new model. I came from a G4 Dual 800 MHz. I also use a G5 Dual 2Ghz at work. This new MacPro blows them both away by miles. haha.

21. mrbc19 macrumors member

Darth: so FCS2 works nice so far with just the stock 2gb RAM in it? How big of project files are you opening? That's awesome how much faster the render was!

Have you tried using Motion yet with the ATI card?

I also use a Dual G5 at work, and can't wait to see how much faster the Mac Pro is.:D

22. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Nahhhh, stick with the 2.8. You'll love it, trust me. Why pay all that more for .4? I had to restart the computer after installing software and I was like, hmmm, I'll get a drink of water while it's restarting... It finished restarting before I left the room! haha

23. mrbc19 macrumors member

:eek: That's so sick it's not even funny. I can't wait for mine to get here already!

24. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

It works awesome with just the 2 gigs in there. Gonna upgrade to at least 6 in a few months. The project files were pretty big. Lots of sequences in it. A few that were about 1 1/2 hours each. The best is when its un-rendered and you can just skim through it at real time and watch it when its not even rendered yet.

I opened up Motion but haven't done anything yet, but just the way it was working seemed like it was working fast. I'll be testing it this weekend.