Poll: If You Could Pre-Order iWatch Today, Would You?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 9, 2014.

?

If the pre-order page went live, would you pre-order iWatch today?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2015.
  1. Yes, I'd go for the iWatch base model/undecided on model.

88 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Yep, I'd have my way with the iWatch Sport model.

24 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. iWatch Edition all the way.

15 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Wouldn't pre-order but would buy shortly after launch.

25 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. No!

73 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hypothetically, if pre-orders started today and Apple Watch was shipping this month, would you jump on the bandwagon?

Maybe it'll work its magic on me and I'll cave in once I get my hands -- err, wrist on it, but right now I can just pull out my iPhone 6 Plus and do all that iWatch does and more. Of course the design and interface are spectacular, but it did turn out to be more of a functional fashion statement to me. In my own opinion, it doesn't need to exist now since it is a miniaturized iPhone with a new interface and admittedly clever controls.

Despite how cool it is, it is in no way revolutionary now. However, with more sensors and features it could be in the future.

Another contributing factor to my having no desire to purchase is the price. I was expecting the base model to start at $149: $349 will sway consumers towards an iPhone or an iPad. This is for people who have the wallet to already own those products.

Maybe it will be $149 in a generation or two, but for now it is a fashion statement I wouldn't consider pre-ordering.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Today? Nope. There's no denying it looks like a fantastic product, and it was more than what I expected it to be. Just can't drop $350 on it yet. I'd be considering it more, however, if it was $250-$300. It definitely appears to offer way more than the Android Wear devices out now, so it's not like I'd consider one of those in the meantime.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yep I'm ready to pre-order now. Apple totally blew me away today with the capabilities of this device.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

5. JMOOLTEN macrumors newbie

Definitely will order one not sure which though

hope to be notified when we can pre-order

6. kerosene macrumors regular

Wouldn't pre-order but would probably buy shortly after launch.

7. dthree36 macrumors regular

Seeing how this watch still has like half a year before its available, I can only hope that more features are added. Personally I have been using a pebble since it was released and more functionality has been added over time. The things I love are that its water proof not resistant. What I don't, is that it lacks Heart Rate. I can't help but think of this first Gen watch just like the original iPhone and iPad gen 1. Great ground breaking device in a new category but obsolete after the second generation is released.

I love apple products and am intrigued by this device but just can't get excited over what looks like a feature set that is incomplete or unknown enough to pre order.

I will be waiting for Gen 2 once Apple has all their new employees working on all the watch can offer. This employees I refer to are the fitness experts who have expertise in fitness sensors.

8. macduke Suspended

macduke

It depends on the price. I've heard several people mention that they think the stainless steel band base model will cost around $1000. I'm really not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on a 1.0 product? That being said, I still have my iPhone and iPad. Yeah, the first ones. So my want to own the first models and keep them forever might make me get it anyway—but perhaps I might start out with the cheapo model. Again, depends on price. I'm an Apple fanboy but even I have my limits.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You didn't do the poll right. The "base" model (stainless steel) is actually the middle trim, higher than the Sport model, and will be more expensive.

10. Anitramane macrumors 6502

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn't list them by price/class.

12. cube, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

cube macrumors G5

Not interested in an iPhone accessory.

If it worked and were supported for a long time with all of BB10, Sailfish, Android, and iOS, maybe I would buy it as a curiosity to wear very occasionally.

And with iTunes and Xcode iOS also available for Linux.

Never pre-order for anything.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Still misleading to label them "base," as that implies the lowest trim. I'd use "standard" instead.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Good catch. Although I did make the poll Sept. 9th before we really knew whether Sport or plain, ol' iWatch was base.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sold on the concept, design and price point, so I'll not be pre-ordering it

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, based on the information available, I'd prefer to wait until its released before I decide on it.

17. lotusindigo macrumors regular

lotusindigo

Such a vehement No! option. I don't feel that strongly about my no, I just don't buy first gen products. I'm extremely excited about the aWatch and I'm sure I'll buy it eventually. I was extremely excited about iPad too the second it was announced, but I waited until gen 3 and the Retina screen.

18. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

I want one, but I don't know which one or if I will actually get one yet. I'd like to see it in person and mess with it first.

19. SHNXX macrumors 68000

so about half of the Apple Watch forum posters are thinking about buying.

that isn't as high as I would've thought, given this is the apple watch section.

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

21. kerosene macrumors regular

The question was about pre-ordering one, really.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As launch date nears that ratio will shift significantly. Just look at all the 'iPad is just a big iPhone' people who own iPads now.

23. SHNXX macrumors 68000

haha yeah maybe.

I was actually one of those people and while I did buy two iPads, I don't use them anymore because... they're just big iPhones.

24. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I was listening to a podcast this week, and one of the hosts posited that the watch is actually much earlier in development than we think. That argument makes sense to me, and I am thinking that the next time we hear from Apple on the watch, there will have a lot to show. At least I hope so, because if the launch event is just more of what's been revealed, I think they will have a dud on their hands, and a ton of work for Gen 2.

25. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Seems right 50/50....I think about 40% of the people that are tech nuts including serious Apple fans will buy the watch, now the general iPhone users not so much.

People I ask that are not tech savvy and people that just don't buy every new Apple product, most say they are not interested, so maybe 5% of average iPhone users will buy one.

BUT once they see it in action, I think about 10% of those will buy it.

I would actually pay triple to have it now.:D