POLL - Leopard: Erase and Install? Upgrade? Archive and Install?

Which will you do? (Please post as to why!)

• Erase and install

Votes: 111 41.4%
  • Upgrade

Votes: 89 33.2%
  • Archive and install

Votes: 68 25.4%

• Total voters

svalentine

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I would like to do "Erase & Install", but I was wondering if I will be able to install iLife 08 after doing that? As, my computer came preloaded with that software. Is it on the Mac OS X back up discs that include Tiger? Thanks

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I'll be doing an Archive and Install now, as I think it'll be more stable than an upgrade.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Archive & Install Is Best

It installs a new system and retains all your current preferences, settings and licenses. I called Adobe just now and they said with Archive & Install your CS3 will work fine after the upgrade to Leopard.

Erase & Install is a waste of time.
Upgrade leaves remnants of Tiger in your NOT "new" system.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Is Archive and Install like doing a fresh install while keeping settings? Will you gain the speed of a clean install?

Is there anything that you have to do after to keep your settings?

Afterward, do you just delete the Old System folder?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Archive & Install Is Best

Is Archive and Install like doing a fresh install while keeping settings? Will you gain the speed of a clean install?

Afterward, do you just delete the Old System folder?
ExataMundo NetDog! The Old System folder is called "Previous System". Delete it after the process is complete. It's the best of both worlds. You have a new system, but with all your familiar settings retained.
Will Archive also back up your Photos, Music and Movies?
It doesn't "Backup" anything. It just leaves everything where it is now. It RETAINS all your Photos, Music & Movies if that's what you're asking.

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
I continue to debate between an Upgrade or Archive & Install. I probably won't come to a firm conclusion until I'm ready to install.

svalentine

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
ExataMundo NetDog! The Old System folder is called "Previous System". Delete it after the process is complete. It's the best of both worlds. You have a new system, but with all your familiar settings retained.It doesn't "Backup" anything. It just leaves everything where it is now. It RETAINS all your Photos, Music & Movies if that's what you're asking.
Ok so it retains all files and settings and puts the previous operating system files in a folder, which you can remove after the process is complete.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Upgrade Is The Worst Choice

I continue to debate between an Upgrade or Archive & Install. I probably won't come to a firm conclusion until I'm ready to install.
Upgrade is the most dangerous and worst of the choices above. So you are making a false choice since Archive & Install is the best.

You want the best Leopard experience or the worst Leopard experience?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Fresh install for me.

I don't have a lot of settings and preferences that I really have to keep and like the feeling of having the defaults ready to go.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Same here, I've always used Upgrade in the past, never had any problems with it. Think I'll try an Archive/Install on the living room Mini first and see how it goes.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Maybe this should be made sticky for a week as I read a lot of threads but this one got clear answers right off the bat and a lot of us are wondering about this as Leopard approaches. Even though I switched in Jan 2006, I had no idea about what the right answer to this was, and I think that Multi may have given the authoritative answer.

Just look at how many people are giving the Erase and Install option!

I have done that a few times already, and what a hassle all the app re-installs are! And I thought that I was getting some sort of speed gain by doing so when I could have just done an Archive and Install! Oy!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
erase and install because lately my Tiger installation has gone quite wonky. In fact i have already erased my internal ready for leopard.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
no matter what os you use its always the best to erase and reinstall to get the best experience from a new os. I plan to do erase and install it looks like the best option.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
It installs a new system and retains all your current preferences, settings and licenses. I called Adobe just now and they said with Archive & Install your CS3 will work fine after the upgrade to Leopard.

Erase & Install is a waste of time.
Upgrade leaves remnants of Tiger in your NOT "new" system.
Unless something changed in CS3, I remember that older versions of PS used to break after an archive & install. (They'd tell you to reinstall when you try to launch)

Do you know how much space is required to do an archive & install?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Erase & Install Will Not Give You A "Best Experience" Any More Than Archive & Install

Is Archive & Install an option for those of us getting the UTD disks?
Absolutely. You're getting the same install DVD that's in the retail box. Just not the fancy box.
no matter what os you use its always the best to erase and reinstall to get the best experience from a new os. I plan to do erase and install it looks like the best option.
That's a fallacious statement. Just not so.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Do you know how much space is required to do an archive & install?
That would depend on how slim a system you build....stripping out the languages, extra printers, etc. Don't know for Leopard, but in Tiger you can do it for well under 10GB I think.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Since Archive/Install preserves your old system folder can you use this to backout the installation and return to Tiger?

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
erase and install because lately my Tiger installation has gone quite wonky. In fact i have already erased my internal ready for leopard.
From what Multi is saying, I think this might heal your system. You could certainly try before you bulldoze and lose all your installs.