Poll - The iPhone's Next Carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Jun 10, 2010.

?

Which carrier do you think will be next in line to carry the iPhone

Poll closed Jun 20, 2010.
  1. Verizon

40 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Sprint

14 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. T-Mobile

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Although I believe all the major carriers in the U.S. will one day get the iPhone, which one do you think will be first after AT&T?

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I think T-Mobile will be next... because they're also GSM-based, which means that they won't have to redesign the whole radio system from scratch.

3. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

Verizon will get it in January Steve will take the stage at Macworld and announce it. why do you think att is being so accommodating to everyone about upgrading? they want to trap as many people in as possible before they exclusive run comes to an end.

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I say Verizon since they have the most subscribers in the US. Regardless of how many people on VZW want an iPhone, it's a much higher pool of people to gain more marketshare/money than T-Mobile or Sprint would offer, IMO.

5. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

the only problem with going to verizon is the most basic iphone plan will cost you 90 dollars a month before taxes.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

T-Mobile. They would bring balance to the force... Erm I mean iPhone bills. Cheap plans and relatively empty network could well mean a much more successful launch than Verizon, plus T-Mo is GSM, all Apple would gave to do is change Baseband frequencies and they would be set.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You might want to change the thread title to make it clear that it is about the dreadful situation a small population of the world is apparently suffering under ;)

8. chromey macrumors member

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Verizon will be the next carrier. T-mobile is the 4 th largest in the US and Verizon controls over 80 million subscribers in the US. Just because T-mobile uses GSM, it doesn't guarantee anything. Apple will most likely wait until Verizon deploys LTE network and release iphone LTE. (4G)

However, this will most likely happen in 2012.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Verizon has already sided with Android and Google, and as a result might NEVER see the iPhone even in 2012 when AT&T exclusivity ends

11. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I posted this in another thread and it makes sense here also:

I honestly can not see Apple doing this this year or early next year. They usually do not make such big announcements outside of the keynote in June. It would be unlike them to do such a thing.

Plus, I am not sure what is going on with Verizon's 4G network, but I would think that a lot of customers from AT&T would be pissed if they have been loyal for four plus years and do not get the first announcement of the 4G iPhone (if it comes out next year). I mean, what makes them so special?

12. Built macrumors 68020

+1

13. snoopy07 macrumors member

T-Mobile iphone for xmas

I beleive T-mobile will be getting the iphone by the end of 2010. Steve said that more carriers was a good thing. Right now at&t gets customers tide up for 2 more years and on December surprise a T-mobile iphone. :)

14. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

Verizon will be one of the last. They use a completely different simcard style (its built into the phone right?)... and after seeing how crammed the iPhone 4 was, it would completely require a redesign of the entire phone it seems. There's no way they would do that. Plus, imagine all of the extra training and crap required for the employees because of the different technology. Much easy to do tmobile or another carrier with similar tech

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

T-Mobile

I would prefer Virgin Mobile get the phone before Sprint and Verizon, however I know there are a lot of VZ Fanboys looking for the iPhone on VZ.

Personally I hope it does go to VZ then it will make AT&T's network better, however a lot of peeps are getting pissed at VZ I know 12 ppl who are leving VZ now.

Our company was a 75% AT&T, 20% VZ and 5% Sprint, T-Mobile and others

Everyone is moving to AT&T and getting the new iPhone now, especially that our company is paying for our phones and our bills, but everyone likes AT&T better, so there is close to 200 Peeps moving to AT&T.

17. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

18. pika2000 macrumors 68030

If Apple had to pick another carrier, it would be T-Mobile. There will never be a CDMA iPhone, get over it. Steve Jobs has stated that he prefers making 1 product to be shipped worldwide. Making a CDMA iPhone is a waste of R&D for only few countries and carrier specific phone. Besides, CDMA is going away, with Verizon moving to LTE. Meanwhile, the rest of the world, which is a much larger market for Apple than a bunch of Verizon customers, use GSM/HSDPA. Even CDMA providers in some countries are switching to HSDPA.

You can dream whatever you want about Verizon getting an iPhone, while the rest of the world laughs and enjoy their unlocked iPhones.

19. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I don't think there will NEVER be a CDMA iPhone, because Apple and Verizon would make a huge profit. However, I think that's at least a year or two down the road. I think TMobile, then Verizon and Sprint. Honestly, I think I would still stick with AT&T. I was on Alltel/Verizon for years, and AT&T has never bothered me any more than the other carriers.

20. bboycrew macrumors newbie

no keep people off tmobile i like its mainly teens texting all day and leave all the bandwith for us n900 on tmobile owners i dont want no iphone tons of people on tmobile lol

21. pika2000 macrumors 68030

You seems to be missing the point. Unlike a lot of other companies, Apple is not about just short-term profit. Listen to Jobs' interview on D8. When asked about a TV set-top box, Jobs said he doesn't like it where each country has their own "standards" that are not compatible with each other. Apple has always prefer streamlined lineup and efficient manufacturing (1 model to be shipped worldwide) to increase profit margin. Why would Apple bother to even put R&D money on CDMA iPhone, knowing that it's only marketable in the US (like I said, world wide market > Verizon customers), and the fact that Verizon itself is moving to LTE. The money coming in from CDMA iPhone sales is probably not enough to justify having another lineup in R&D, design, manufacturing, packaging, support, etc. Oh, and Apple will never allow anybody else's name/logo on their iPhone.

Also remember that Apple doesn't just design a phone overnight. A phone that is released today is probably has been in development for at least a year or more. Knowing that, and knowing the timeline of 4G networks/LTE coming, do you think Apple will still bother with a CDMA iPhone? Jobs said it himself, that Apple doesn't pick all horses and spreading itself too thin, Apple played the game by sticking with the horse that it thinks will go further than the rest. Considering the world is GSM/HSDPA, and next would be LTE, CDMA iPhone is just a dream.

22. pika2000 macrumors 68030

That is assuming that Apple would pick a second carrier in the US. Imo, Apple will stick with AT&T until LTE. T-Mobile's 3G uses 1700 band that is not used anywhere else. iPhone 4 has quad-band HSDPA (penta band if you count the info from FCC), but still no 1700 support. To me, that means Apple thinks it's now worth the investment to support T-Mobile's 3G, and rather put the effort in supporting bands that are used in other countries.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because they already have. They have a skunkworks CDMA lab.

You don't think some of the other 321 CDMA carriers/540 million users around the world would want a CDMA iPhone?

Minimal because the changes are minor. Only a change in the radio chip and update to the baseband.

Agreed, Verizon will have to give up on that.

YES

John Gruber's remarks on the subject:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/05/apple_verizon_political_calculus

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Those countries that have CDMA carriers, also have GSM/HSDPA carriers with even more users. CDMA carriers in S.Korea and Japan are even switching to HSDPA. Again, Apple doesn't see things in short-term gain. Look at the long term.

The change is not minor. A change in radio chip means more testing and more FCC approval, etc. Besides, Apple has to re-work the iOS itself.

No, but nobody's stopping you from dreaming.