Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new Mac Pro 2019

• Total voters

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
The real threshold question for me is how much will the 24/28 core upgrade cost. Also. Will it be drop in upgradable in the future with regular cpu parts. I have am12core 5,1, and psychologically, after 9 years, I want at least a 24core machine to feel like the machine is a “real” update.

The verge estimate of $7.5k is nuts as the 28core part goes for $3k online. At 9k with 28 core, the machine would be decently priced (still outrageously priced but a lot of it being market prices for the components).
All indications so far are that the CPU is user replaceable. I imagine they'll depreciate like all Intel chips do.

The 8 core will thoroughly outperform your current 12 core in any task imaginable. I get it though, I like cars with a V12.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
My big concern is if it's PCI 3, PCI 5 is now out. It's basically 4x the speed of PCI3. I'd like to poo on apple about it, on the other hand, it's more intel not having a chipset to support the new standard.

So the dilemma is, do i wait a year and hope the new intel chipset and updated mac pro come out with PCI 5. Or, do I fear that intel doesnt update the chipset for a couple of years and by the time apple gets to updating it, it might be 3 years from now (or not ever). So do I just bite the bullet and get it now, or hold off for the much more modern PCI 5 standard?

Oh, it supports PCI 5. Just print out the PCI 5 spec and put it on top of the MacPro box. That would be state-of-the-art support for PCI 5 at this point.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Updated:
Cool Johnny Ive video from here:

https://www.macobserver.com/cool-stuff-found/wwdc-2019-the-not-shown-jony-ive-new-mac-pro-video/

What do you guys think of the (I dub thee) new Cheesegrater Mac Pro (nCMP). I'm freaking out with glee! What do you like or not like about it?

Re Video:

One question for Jony:

If the "Space Frame" is so strong, why the F does it need such a rigid enclosure? Idiotic over priced "stylish" redundancy just to increase costs and stroke Jony's ego?

Reactions: widEyed

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Is that two slots for mSATA SSD that it takes? Apparently it takes the same drives as the iMac Pro- is that mSATA? It looks identical, or maybe a priority Apple SSD?

No. It is extremely likely the same NAND only daughter cards that the iMac Pro uses. Those are not SSDs. They are just cards with Flash NAND chips on them. There are two cards becaues that is the only reasonable what (especially with Apple's mark ups on SSDs) to get to 4TB ( need 8 NAND chips. And Apple doesn't want to go to double sided card M.2 which tends to drive up heat issues. )

The upside is that the NAND chips aren't soldered to the motherboard. If they fail or wear-out or need to securely destroyed, they are removable. (and don't need a new motherboard).

Pragmatically you can't hook 'random' NAND chips to a SSD controller. The T2 has the controller (brains) of the SSD subsystem inside of it. So 3rd parties selling NAND chips to a SSD controller they don't own/develop/manage is unlikely.

P.S. There are no "two" SSDs there. There is only one. It has three parts. T2 , daughter card 1 and daughter card 2 .

Reactions: ssgbryan

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
I propose a new poll.

Question: Are you already sick of hearing the words "cheese grater"?

1. Yes - it's puerile, obvious, unimaginative and hasn't been remotely amusing since 2003. Thing with holes in it ≠ cheese grater.

2. No - it's always hilarious and makes me snort lite beer out of my nose whenever I see it. And I'm a better hardware designer than anyone at Apple and truly know what the pro users on my trailer park want.

BTW - Cheese Grater Officianados might want to see what a modern cheese grater actually looks like:

http://www.nogarlicnoonions.com/forma-a-designer-cheese-grater-by-zaha-hadid/

https://www.nova68.com/Alessi-Todo-Grater.html

https://www.proidee.co.uk/cuisine/by-categories/tableware/blomus-designer-cheese-grater

https://www.crookedbrains.net/2013/05/modern-graters-cheese-grater-designs.html

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
BTW - Cheese Grater Officianados might want to see what a modern cheese grater actually looks like:

Yes, they certainly look modern and stylish. I'm sure Jony Ive owns one. But compared to this:

idealisk-grater__0713134_PE729282_S4.JPG

They still suck.

Reactions: someoldguy

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Yes, they certainly look modern and stylish. I'm sure Jony Ive owns one. But compared to this:

They still suck.

And yet, thing with holes ≠ cheese grater. BTW, have you ever grated cheese with one of those things and kept all the skin on your fingers? Try something else - there may be a better way.

Reactions: cgscotto

terryreid62

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
bloomington
I am shocked at how ugly it is. It looks like it was designed by a pimp! I fail to see what it can do better for still photographic images than the 2019 maxed out iMac. If one is not doing video multi-core at present is of very little value and comes at a very high price. I already have 8 cores in my 2019 iMac and Photoshop and Lightroom which are about the only programs a person waits on anymore will not run as fast on this machine because my single core performance is faster. I guess if you are a video person and it can make you money it is worth it. But six grand for a monitor is a flat joke plain and simple! I came to the realization today that even with my 5k iMac most people who see my photo portfolios cannot see what I see anyway and my images look rather bland or non special as far as detail on a less than a 5k display. So a 6k display is fine for me but nobody who does not plunk down six grand can see my work in its splendor anyway. There will be 6k montitors within a year for less than half Apples price. Who ever heard of a grand for a stand for an already five thousand dollar monitor. Big miss Apple. Now the software and iPad IOS I am excited about!

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you really complaining about one of the most iconic, universally recognizable phrases ever coined to describe a line of personal computers? One that describes probably the last both affordable and expandable computer in the history of Apple Computer, Inc.? When they showed the new one on scene I thought it was a joke, a sentimental throwback towards one of the greatest machines ever produced - and also to the phrase used to describe it, that in a moment they'll show the real thing. The excitement lasted maybe five seconds until I realized that that's it. Now I finally know how my first girlfriend felt.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
I rather like the 3D spherical grating. It looks great on the monitor backing especially. Very clean and yet brutalist. I wish I could buy just the case and build my own PC. Maybe I can convince a local shop to sell me the part :p

Sadly I don’t imagine I’ll own these like I did the previous iteration. The price hike is just too astronomical for anyone not making money off these =/

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I got within $200 of your quote and I don't know where this difference went. That gold Xeon is actually a $2k up-charge over my config, but I forgot about 10Gb Ethernet and TB3, the integrated dual ports are 1Gb. With Intel CPUs sometimes you pay 5x more for 20% performance increase. Other thing is - list price in Windows world is like MSRP on cars, you never pay it.

Bottom line is, I can get right now, today, for $6k, as a private citizen without assigned corporate Dell's sales person, a preconfigured, ready to ship Dell workstation with double the cores, double the RAM and an actual workstation GPU that's between 30% to multiple times faster. This 2019 Mac Pro with those specs should be $3k tops.
The processor in post #143 is not the equivalent of the 8-core Mac Pro processor. It has a base clock of 2.1GHz, Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz, and an 11MB cache. The Mac Pro 8-core processor has a base clock of 3.5GHz, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, and a 24.5MB cache.

Regarding the design, here is what Apple's has to say about it:

Perhaps we can refer to it as the lMP (for lattice Mac Pro)?

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
The processor in post #143 is not the equivalent of the 8-core Mac Pro processor. It has a base clock of 2.1GHz, Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz, and an 11MB cache. The Mac Pro 8-core processor has a base clock of 3.5GHz, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, and a 24.5MB cache.
Yes, and I specifically asked to not to bring those specs up as a justification for $3k price difference because the actual retail price difference between those CPU's is $250, which probably translates to close to or below $150 for OEM. They're both bottom feeder 8 cores from their specific series.
Perhaps we can refer to it as the lMP (for lattice Mac Pro)?
For a nickname to stick it has to be instinctively associated by most people with the given object. For me lattice pattern are crossed lines and for my imagination it would be a stretch to visualize them on the new MP. Definitely not something that comes to mind when you first see it.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I propose a new poll.

1. Yes - it's puerile, obvious, unimaginative and hasn't been remotely amusing since 2003. Thing with holes in it ≠ cheese grater.

2. No - it's always hilarious and makes me snort lite beer out of my nose whenever I see it. And I'm a better hardware designer than anyone at Apple and truly know what the pro users on my trailer park want.

http://www.nogarlicnoonions.com/forma-a-designer-cheese-grater-by-zaha-hadid/

https://www.nova68.com/Alessi-Todo-Grater.html

https://www.proidee.co.uk/cuisine/by-categories/tableware/blomus-designer-cheese-grater

https://www.crookedbrains.net/2013/05/modern-graters-cheese-grater-designs.html

This is not going to be your next 3-7 years, I suspect. :D

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, and I specifically asked to not to bring those specs up as a justification for $3k price difference because the actual retail price difference between those CPU's is $250, which probably translates to close to or below $150 for OEM. They're both bottom feeder 8 cores from their specific series.
Regardless of retail price differences such an ask is unreasonable because you're not comparing like to like. The base clock of the 8-core CPU in the base Mac Pro is ~66% faster than the 8-core CPU you spec'd in your comparison. Though that difference drops significantly, to ~14%, when you compare turbo boost clock speed. Then there's more than twice as much cache in the Mac Pro CPU.
[doublepost=1559735520][/doublepost]
Does anyone do a local backup any more? RAIDED hard drives are the way to go because they are less expensive.
RAID is not a backup solution. It aids in availability, not disaster recovery.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Regardless of retail price differences such an ask is unreasonable because you're not comparing like to like. The base clock of the 8-core CPU in the base Mac Pro is ~66% faster than the 8-core CPU you spec'd in your comparison. Though that difference drops significantly, to ~14%, when you compare turbo boost clock speed. Then there's more than twice as much cache in the Mac Pro CPU.
It is as reasonable as it gets, considering you can't buy the W-3223 yet. But to give an idea of what it will cost it is better to use a CPU that's within $250 instead of the one that has price difference of $3000, and that the new one will occupy the exactly the same market segment. And the cache size - that's Apple marketing, the new MP CPU has 8MB of L2 + 16.5MB of L3 = 24.5MB. The 4110 has 8+11 so it would be 19 MB in Apple's units.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So far, new Apple products have almost always made the old ones look obsolete design-wise. This one is a bit of a different story. I think the old cheese-grater looked more Apple-like than this new one. While I don't think it's horrible, there are several elements that make me feel uneasy. To me, the weird lattice holes, the awkward looking flat feet with the disks at the bottom just aren't as simple and seamless as the curved flat aluminum that blended in with the side, and the simple round holes of the original cheese grater.

Of course the fact that you can take the whole cover off and access everything on every side is a big deal, and the comfort of the new handles is probably better than the sharp, flat metal. Also, the lack of any ports or buttons on the front, not to mention the missing CD drive slots are nice. But it's just a bit more "designed" than what Apple usually does. I just think it could have been even cleaner and more minimalistic.

Reactions: rafark

Since1987

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
I like the hell out of it. But only Pixar and millionaire hobbyists can afford them. So it helps my cause zero.

Apple needs to hire somebody to define "Pro". Not long ago, a laptop with wonky keyboard, iffy graphics, all ports removed (Ive's wet dream) and 16GB RAM max was for "Pros". And if you didn't accept that... YOU were the problem.

Last year, an iMac with a permanently attached monitor and a Xeon was for "Pros", although everyone knew that the iMac pro was just a placeholder until they could release the actual MacPro. They have even slapped Pro on an iPad ( puh-lease)

June 2019, a "Pro" is somebody who works at Pixar or Dreamworks and can afford a $10,000+ computer ( the $6000 entry model is unfit for any use) and $5000 monitors.

And stop telling me about inflation. The MacPro 10 years ago with an 8 core Xeon ( actually 2x4 core) and was slightly over $3500. Affordable for many. Now an 8 core Xeon MacPro starts at $6000 with literally NO storage ( 256GB? an insult ) Cars don't cost 100% more 10 years later. Bread doesn't cost 100% more.

Let us not forget there was a time in recent computer history where new technology meant much FASTER computers for LESS money. Ive Cook Apple thinks that faster CPU and faster graphics chips are an opportunity to gouge the customer. Even the MacMini and iMacs are WAY more expensive than they used to be.

Why?.... because Ive and Cook can. They probably consider it a Tax for forcing them to make computers at all. They care 10,000% more about AppleTV and Apple Music.

Apple with Steve Jobs..... insanely great.
Apple without Steve Jobs.... just insane.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Apple has lost it and it's been since long ago. Yet, it will continue to sell and make profit for the same reason Microsoft had enjoyed a 99% market share for decades. Users and customers are weak and will do as told.

Regarding the new Mac Pro, fanboys have suddenly swallowed their words for internal storage, NVidia GPU options, pricing, etc. If you think it is expensive for the USA market and salaries, wait until it gets priced for the rest of the world, until years have passed and Apple has kept (or even raised) the price of the same configuration, until the opposition has come up with MP and PCIe 4.0 and their previous models are discounted or can be easily found for nothing, until you realise that 3rd party options are not applicable (due to T2 or physical/design constraints that sets them suboptimal) or are not coming (cheaply), until you realise that 3rd party repair shops are banned and parts are ultra-expensive, until you realise that it doesn't make sense to compare the NewCheeseGraterMacPro at 6k with single-CPU Xeon alternatives unless you are talking about configurations that e.g. need that 512GB RAM (and for which the total price difference might not look so different), until you realise that you WILL be able to easily beat that (single) CPU for a fraction of the cost (if total RAM is not important), etc.

Indeed. I expect the pricing to be be horrific and a far cry from 6k in any reasonable configuration. It starts at 2xTrashcan after all. What does even a single 32GB GPU from Apple go for this time around?
And I think so far it all sounds like a very similar story to the last release actually - including custom versions of consumer GPUs touted as the best thing money can buy and all. The D700 wants a word! :)

The Trashcan was left high and dry (was there really no way to at least update the chipset/mainboard for TB3, more recent Xeons, higher throughput and perhaps ditch the barely supported 2nd GPU and make room for SSD bays instead?) and only time will tell if the story is different this time or if the wailing will be audible again around 2023.

But just like the last time around this is the most powerful system to choose if you want to/must run macOS and at least it does seem to come with some upgradeability right form the start which might help to futureproof it all a little. I'll remain sceptical though, after all they do have quite a track record of neglect by now.

Reactions: grad

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
This is my alt account I am at a pc with no access to my normal account. I don't care how it looks. It has what I want in a pc. Mac os.

Room inside for 3 ssd's.
I can get it with base cpu
I can get it with base gpu
I can get it with 32b ram.

With the internal ssd's it will be neat and clean look. Apple finally built a pc I can use.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I like the hell out of it. But only Pixar and millionaire hobbyists can afford them. So it helps my cause zero.

Apple needs to hire somebody to define "Pro". Not long ago, a laptop with wonky keyboard, iffy graphics, all ports removed (Ive's wet dream) and 16GB RAM max was for "Pros". And if you didn't accept that... YOU were the problem.

Last year, an iMac with a permanently attached monitor and a Xeon was for "Pros", although everyone knew that the iMac pro was just a placeholder until they could release the actual MacPro. They have even slapped Pro on an iPad ( puh-lease)

June 2019, a "Pro" is somebody who works at Pixar or Dreamworks and can afford a $10,000+ computer ( the $6000 entry model is unfit for any use) and $5000 monitors.

And stop telling me about inflation. The MacPro 10 years ago with an 8 core Xeon ( actually 2x4 core) and was slightly over $3500. Affordable for many. Now an 8 core Xeon MacPro starts at $6000 with literally NO storage ( 256GB? an insult ) Cars don't cost 100% more 10 years later. Bread doesn't cost 100% more.

Let us not forget there was a time in recent computer history where new technology meant much FASTER computers for LESS money. Ive Cook Apple thinks that faster CPU and faster graphics chips are an opportunity to gouge the customer. Even the MacMini and iMacs are WAY more expensive than they used to be.

Why?.... because Ive and Cook can. They probably consider it a Tax for forcing them to make computers at all. They care 10,000% more about AppleTV and Apple Music.

Apple with Steve Jobs..... insanely great.
Apple without Steve Jobs.... just insane.

They could do this by expanding their lineup to include an "Edition" line:

https://www.macobserver.com/columns-opinions/devils-advocate/apple-needs-edition-category/
edition-product-grid-1-600x416.jpg

[doublepost=1559748593][/doublepost]I found this in a tweet yesterday and cannot find the tweet again to give proper full attribution (
Image-1.jpg
to the originator), but thought it would be useful here:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timbaj...is-the-mac-of-steve-jobs-dreams/#2ebab0f43fa3

The new Mac Pro emphasizes that the Mac is still an essential product for Apple, and they can still innovate at the highest levels. It also helps fulfill a key goal of Apple Co-Founder, Steve Jobs. A day after Jobs came back to Apple in 1997, I met with him to try and get a sense of how he was going to help turn Apple around. I asked him directly what his top priority would be. He said that while he was away, Apple forgot about their core customers. These were the folks that helped put the Mac on the map and included engineers, graphic designers, desktop publishers, and those who needed more powerful tools to do their specific type of technically driven jobs… Within weeks of Jobs being on the job, he ordered the engineers to create more powerful Macs and, within a year, Apple was back in favor with their core customers and this was one of the reasons Apple started turning itself around.

Im not sure if Steve would or would not have been pleased with the nCMP. But I do not think it targets their “core” customers. People mistake Pros as being their core. ENTHUSIASTS are their core market. Many of which are Pros. But many pros are not enthusiasts. The ENTHUSIASTS saved apple.

And the pricing on this thing, there just is no entry level where Enthusiasts can get on board. The original Mac Pros started at around $2500 and enthusiasts could get on board. If apple priced a cheaper entry point. Something with just a simple video card, 16GB of RAM and an entry level 4 core at say $3499, it could have really brought a lot more people back.

This is just for rich enthusiasts and pros that will have corporations buying for them. It will not be for that core of people that saved apple. It’s just too expensive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.