Poll: Upgrade to 4th Gen or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Apr 18, 2010.

?

Upgrade to 4th Gen based on pics or no?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2010.
  1. I'll upgrade to the next iPhone

206 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. I'll stick with what I have

36 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. trajen macrumors 6502a

Based on the leaked images will you upgrade your current iPhone to the next generation or will you stick with what you have?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't base my purchasing decisions on unannounced, leaked picture. They can be wrong - in fact they're frequently are.

Depending on the specs and the upgrade price, I may upgrade but I won't decide until I see it.

3. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't buy the new iPhone, since I now own a BlackBerry Tour, and miss my 3GS. Now that I know what it's like to go a couple months without an iPhone, I doubt I'll ever stray away from it again once I get the new one.

4. karlwig macrumors 6502

Need more details imo.

Assuming a pretty high price here in Norway, and based on the photos and spec leaks so far, Im gonna say no.

My 2G works perfectly fine, and the new one (if that is indeed it) looks pretty ugly anyway. Why would I want an ugly phone? :confused:

5. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Id have to see what the new hardware is truly like. What the specs are.

6. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

If it is as big of a hardware improvement as it looks to be then definitely!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why would anyone do differently?

8. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

In my case, this'll be my first iPhone. I was looking to get one a few weeks back but I realized with new hardware coming out soon, it would be wiser to wait. Besides... I have waiting quite a while since they first came out.

9. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I've got two or three colleagues who have all bought 3Gs's in the last few weeks. I know that most people don't follow MR or similar, but don't most people check the release cycle of any bit of technology before they buy them? Two of these people have said 'don't care', but I don't understand that... I'm not letting my better half get one until the new model is out, and I'm definitely upgrading from my 3G, even/especially if it looks like the photos doing the rounds.

TT

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Even if they are real they're clearly a test model that looks nothing like the final phone.

So how should their existence alter my opinion in any way whatsoever?

11. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

Will do the upgrade. I have a 3G and would benefit from the OS4 mutitasking as I use Navigon a lot.

12. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

This may be my first iPhone too. Although I was interested when it first launched...can't say Ive been waiting all this time to buy really.

Instead it was Blackberry which had me enticed at the time, so I'm now on my third berry (Storm2) but the pending 4G has definitely got me interested. Personally I like the proposed looks.

A colleague got his 3GS today, I told him last week when he was ordering that a newer one was on the way...but he simply said he didnt care, quite weird really...because he's a bit of a PC nerd, so I would have thought he would have wanted the latest and greatest:confused:

13. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Yeah, when the first iPhone came out, I didn't really care for it. Heck, I didn't even have a regular cellphone back then. Now, I'm still with my crappy cell and I'm at a point where having a smartphone could be useful. Also, I wouldn't of been able to afford it (iPhone+monthly plan) back then, but now it isn't a problem. Can't wait 'till it comes out...

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

From browsing the "leaked" photo's, I would be inclined to go with a 3GS rather than the 4G. Hopefully these photo's aren't what the phone is going to look like. I would also have to play around with the phone at the Apple store to see how it felt in my hands before I made a decision.

15. m0r4n1 macrumors newbie

I'm still can't believe it was iPhone 4G until Apple officially announce it. Hopefully not..

16. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I planned on getting the 4G no matter the look

I had an original iPhone, upgraded to 3G, and waited for 4G.

I have always been happy with the product

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I never make a decision until the final product is released.

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My sentiments exactly. I've left the iPhone a couple of times only to return for good this go round :D

20. big samm macrumors 65816

i will upgrade to the 4th gen iphone no doubt... But am keeping my 3Gs for sure... and i will buy the new one outright! Am not renewing my contract... maybe because am with rogers and the length of the contract is 3 years... If i was with at&t i would renew in a heartbeat... oh well regardless ill get the new iphone

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll update my post, and philosophy now that we're closer to the June time frame.

While I believe there are things we still don't know about the new iPhone, the things that have been uncovered from the gizmodo article and of course the vietnam pictures. I'll not be going the 4G route myself, but sticking with the Nexus One.

My wife on the other hand, who owns a 3G will upgrade.

22. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm dead set on upgrading every year. If the new iPhone is anything like what we've seen thus far, it'll be a no-brainer-wait-in-line-overnight-ordeal.

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I am currently using the 3G, so an upgrade is definitely in order. And while I agree with the others who suggest that the actual specs will drive my purchasing decision, because my 3 G is feeling so dated even when compared to the GS, I will be upgrading for sure.
    And I actually LIKE the new look - if in fact, the leaked photos represent the final product. 2 weeks and counting!

24. yahya4k macrumors member

If it indeed comes in white I might get one, even though I am still leaning towards getting a 3Gs... This rendering makes it look like an iPod Shuffle 1st Gen. It also makes me feel peckish ...[​IMG]

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

If the new hardware features don't wow me, then I'm just going to wait and get a discounted 32GB 3GS.