Pontiac is dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Reventon, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Reventon macrumors 6502

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My first car (in 1979) was a 1972 Pontiac Le Mans in burnt orange. How I loved that car.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I will miss the G8, but it might be returning as the next Impala by 2015 or so. ;)

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I hate Buick. To me, it summarizes most of what is wrong with GM. The only Buick I ever found interesting was the Grand National. And even that was more an interesting oddity than anything else.

This has been a long time coming though. GM should cut down to just Chevy, Cadillac and GMC IMO, and resurrect the other subdivisions (Olds, Buick, Pontiac, etc.) only for special models.

6. the vj macrumors 6502a

I almost die in a Firebird, too much power and way too inestable, like an ice cube rolling on the kitchen floor.

Bye Pontiac, good exiting memories but I do not believe I'll miss you.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Wow, that's unexpected. Though it's probably the least known brand that they sell, so I guess I can see why they did it.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm sure the models that sell well will just be rebranded under one of GM's other lines. Some are just renamed chevys with a slight tweak to the exterior appearance anyways.

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Not really surprising. While the G8 was a nice car, most of Pontiac's more recent models have been severely lacking. Personally though I think GM should kill off even more brands.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

This is really sad news. I was bummed when I read about it this morning. My first car was a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird. Fond memories. The G series of Pontiacs were actually really nice cars, if we're talking about recent models.

Pontiac was a great brand and I'm sad to see it go. I'm actually shocked as I thought it was one of GM's better brands. At least they still own the trademark and can always bring Pontiac back in the future, should the opportunity arise.

11. Wiska macrumors member

Good riddance! I had a Pontiac. It had the worst build quality ever. Parts failing every other month.

Although, it was really fun to drive.

12. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Too bad, the first car I every bought by myself was a 1970 Pontiac LeMans. Red with a black hardtop. So pretty. Hate to say it, especially when we produce less and less in this country... but, I never had any luck with American cars... whereas, German engineering for me, has been reliable, cost effective, efficient and safe.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are. Hummer, Saab, Saturn, and Pontiac are all dead.

14. Reventon thread starter macrumors 6502

Not forgetting Oldsmobile too.. with models like the Sunfire, Trans Sport van and the god awful Aztek, I can't say that I'm surprised to see Pontiac die though.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

olsmobile has been dead for a couple years now, almost 5 years to the day of the last produced car

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Saab's been soulless since GM bought them.

17. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Yes I know that. I'm talking about going further and killing off GMC and Buick leaving just Chevy and Cadillac as their focus. That way they could really make them much better. But it's a start at least.

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

GMC is profitable and Buick is huge in China.

19. mondesi43 macrumors regular

Buick is huge with the gray hairs. :D

Cut it down to Chevy, GM, and Saab. Chevy higher end option cars/trucks. GMC becomes an illegitimate baby of Buick, Saturn, and Olds (more affordable) cars, and fleet trucks. Saab keeps some European styling in the family.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If Chevy is the higher end option cars where would Saab be positioned at? And what happened to Cadillac? Saab will not be able to fill Cadillac's spot as a true luxury marquee. And who would compete with Toyota and Honda?

Buick is still a premium marquee and will be paired with Opel( to replace Saturn) for products in the US. We will be getting the Opel Insignia as the Buick Regal( which is about to be launched in China).

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Chevy will always be the bread & butter brand covering the whole lineup of vehicles, and GMC will always be a trim-level subdivision for trucks. Cadillac will surely remain the luxury brand as well. I think that (with Saturn representing GM global products imported to the States) is the best arrangement.

No real room in there for Buick IMO. I really wish they'd kill it. Buicks will forever be badge-engineered Chevys for old folks, nothing more. They are always big, dumb, front-drivers with incredibly floaty rides and seats tuned for wide, elderly bottoms. Overboosted steering, lazy transmissions as well. Not to mention that Buick's customer base is quite literally dying off as we speak.

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Not SAAB!!!! :(:eek::mad::eek::(:eek::mad:

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

No argument here personally, but Saturn is dead and Buick is big in China. At least now we won't get butchered Opel's.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that the Chinese have taken to Buick simply because it was the first American brand reintroduced to the country. If we replaced the Buicks with Chevys I dont think it would make a difference. Just my opinion.

As for the Opels, most of the Euro-content (the stuff that makes them desirable) is removed for American consumption, so I couldn't care less about them here. Ford has done the same with the Focus and the Mondeo spinoffs.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ford has nothing here based on the Mondeo or Euro Focus.