Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My first message to support over their "chat" was 13/08 and heard nothing back. That alone puts me off them as the customer service with Newton was lightning quick... I'm trying both Spark and Airmail at the moment, it's quite close to be honest.
In regards to complaint 1, do you happen to have the toggle for "beautiful images" turned on on the phone? If so, that is why the inbox looks dark (really a smoke grey color). I thought it was a bug as well when I first used the app, until I tested with "beautiful images" turned off. The transparency setting for the background for the "beautiful images" is what causes it to look that way. It looks normal on iPad and Mac, because there is more screen real estate to display with background image, whereas with the phone it is still there; albeit we can't see it.

I haven't had a problem with rendering yet, where the text is cut off etc.

In regards to the toggle of the "unified box," I have been able to turn it on and off at will, and still be have the "unified box" feature available.

Read receipts have been pretty consistent for me, barring someone possibly preventing the alert trigger.

As to icons, they do look smaller than Airmail, but haven't noticed any looking flat. That would be irritating to look at, if one had several with that problem.

I haven't messed around with the Aliases feature, yet.

I wil send out an email to tech support, and see what happens (if anything). Customer support not getting back to you within 24hrs is unacceptable, especially when you are a paying customer.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I tested the snooze feature in the Spark beta earlier, and the email has vanished. No sign of it in the snooze folder, trash, or sent folder. Anyone else have that happen? Good thing my test email was not critical.

It goes in a "Later" folder...
[doublepost=1534493318][/doublepost]
In regards to complaint 1, do you happen to have the toggle for "beautiful images" turned on on the phone? If so, that is why the inbox looks dark (really a smoke grey color). I thought it was a bug as well when I first used the app, until I tested with "beautiful images" turned off. The transparency setting for the background for the "beautiful images" is what causes it to look that way. It looks normal on iPad and Mac, because there is more screen real estate to display with background image, whereas with the phone it is still there; albeit we can't see it.

I haven't had a problem with rendering yet, where the text is cut off etc.

In regards to the toggle of the "unified box," I have been able to turn it on and off at will, and still be have the "unified box" feature available.

Read receipts have been pretty consistent for me, barring someone possibly preventing the alert trigger.

As to icons, they do look smaller than Airmail, but haven't noticed any looking flat. That would be irritating to look at, if one had several with that problem.

I haven't messed around with the Aliases feature, yet.

I wil send out an email to tech support, and see what happens (if anything). Customer support not getting back to you within 24hrs is unacceptable, especially when you are a paying customer.

Beautiful images was the first thing I turned off (lol), so isn't that. Are you not seeing a dark bar at the bottom while in email view and light mode? I'm on an iPhone 6s, so may be that.

My rendering is all over the place and just looks nasty, but than again, may be optimised for iPhone X or something.

If I flick the "unified" button off it shows my folder structure on my IMAP account, along with the account name on the bottom. If I flick it back it I still have the folder structure and account name on the bottom. It no longer says "unified". The only way I can get it back is by deleting and re-adding my email account.

Some of the icons on mine look really warped, like a fairground mirror distorting the image into a fish eye effect.

Did you receive a message back from them?

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
It goes in a "Later" folder...
[doublepost=1534493318][/doublepost]

Beautiful images was the first thing I turned off (lol), so isn't that. Are you not seeing a dark bar at the bottom while in email view and light mode? I'm on an iPhone 6s, so may be that.

My rendering is all over the place and just looks nasty, but than again, may be optimised for iPhone X or something.

If I flick the "unified" button off it shows my folder structure on my IMAP account, along with the account name on the bottom. If I flick it back it I still have the folder structure and account name on the bottom. It no longer says "unified". The only way I can get it back is by deleting and re-adding my email account.

Some of the icons on mine look really warped, like a fairground mirror distorting the image into a fish eye effect.

Did you receive a message back from them?
Haven’t gotten a reply, yet.

As to Spark, I don’t see a “Later” folder.

Suspended
Aug 15, 2018
I'd like to know what defines a "premium consumer mail app"? Did Newton bring something to the table that other mail apps don't have, or were they just hoping to sucker people into spending $10 a month for a mail app?
Presumably since they charged they didn't sell all of your information to advertisers. And I'm thinking that regardless of how much people complain about a lack of privacy for their personal information they would prefer it to be sold and have a free service rather than paying for privacy.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Haven’t gotten a reply, yet.

As to Spark, I don’t see a “Later” folder.

Sorry, in the app you should see a “snoozed” folder/widget available. In the IMAP folder structure when using anything but Spark you’ll see a new “Later” folder where these reside.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Thanks for the reply. I did another test with the snooze feature just now, and I see it in the folder. Hopefully, it will work as directed.

Spark is pretty smooth and taken the lead over Airmail. I have this issue in Airmail where if I reply to a thread my email doesn’t end up in the sent folder, or the thread itself, just disappears. I managed to restore those emails through my server, but stopped using it on the meantime.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Spark is pretty smooth and taken the lead over Airmail. I have this issue in Airmail where if I reply to a thread my email doesn’t end up in the sent folder, or the thread itself, just disappears. I managed to restore those emails through my server, but stopped using it on the meantime.
I did not receive a reply from Canary via email. I did notice that Canary is active on their Twitter account. I will make contact through Twitter and see what happens. That doesn't justify the lack of response we both have encountered.

In regards to Spark, I inquired about email templates via Twitter, and was told "they are coming sooner than you think." That is good news.

I would like to see more sound options with individual email accounts in Spark. It would be nice to have specific sounds for certain accounts.

With Airmail, I have experienced the same a few times. I still encounter text and font preferences staying intact on individual accounts, even though the setting has been change for each. It is a pain to have to fight with it several times during the creation of an email.

Although it is a minor quibble, I don't like how the screen looks during the opening transition with Touch or FaceID. In my opinion, it is rather unsightly. I also don't like that the passcode is limited to 4 digits.

As mentioned earlier, I do like the plethora of options available in Airmail. At the same time, options can be experienced as negatives, when their execution is inconsistent. I am not sure if the design layout is the main culprit or not. It appears that when certain options are set in Airmail, they do not remain set due to stock default implementation buried in the heart of the app.

At this point in time, I will keep using all three mail programs and keep assessing the pros and cons of each, in regards to updates, stability, execution, staff response, and value for the money etc., before I make a final long term determination.

Even though Newton was a much smaller company, their product was far ahead of these apps in many areas, in my opinion. It is a shame Newton priced themselves out of business with email.

Reactions: decafjava

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I did not receive a reply from Canary via email. I did notice that Canary is active on their Twitter account. I will make contact through Twitter and see what happens. That doesn't justify the lack of response we both have encountered.

In regards to Spark, I inquired about email templates via Twitter, and was told "they are coming sooner than you think." That is good news.

I would like to see more sound options with individual email accounts in Spark. It would be nice to have specific sounds for certain accounts.

With Airmail, I have experienced the same a few times. I still encounter text and font preferences staying intact on individual accounts, even though the setting has been change for each. It is a pain to have to fight with it several times during the creation of an email.

Although it is a minor quibble, I don't like how the screen looks during the opening transition with Touch or FaceID. In my opinion, it is rather unsightly. I also don't like that the passcode is limited to 4 digits.

As mentioned earlier, I do like the plethora of options available in Airmail. At the same time, options can be experienced as negatives, when their execution is inconsistent. I am not sure if the design layout is the main culprit or not. It appears that when certain options are set in Airmail, they do not remain set due to stock default implementation buried in the heart of the app.

At this point in time, I will keep using all three mail programs and keep assessing the pros and cons of each, in regards to updates, stability, execution, staff response, and value for the money etc., before I make a final long term determination.

Even though Newton was a much smaller company, their product was far ahead of these apps in many areas, in my opinion. It is a shame Newton priced themselves out of business with email.

After much testing / trial and error over the weekend, I have been able to replicate the sent email issue and it only happens when read receipts are enabled. I have provided my findings to the guys and they're taking a look now.

I've not used TouchID on Airmail before so went to have a look... I know what you mean, not a massive fan either to be honest! Are you on Slack to provide beta feedback?

I uninstalled Canary and requested a refund as not receiving a reply to my support queries via their chat or Twitter was inexcusable.

I still cry a little over losing Newton...

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Anyone try Polymail? It's expensive ($120/year) but it appears to have all the features of Newton. I'm desperate enough to maybe fork out the money. :-(

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Anyone try Polymail? It's expensive ($120/year) but it appears to have all the features of Newton. I'm desperate enough to maybe fork out the money. :-(

You can download for free and trial the pro features for 14 days... It’s ok, just not for me.

Here are my reasons: -

1) It's more of a teams app, than one for individuals, but you can of course use it as such.
2) I find the rendering of emails is sometimes off and don't like how it deals with threads.
3) It will stick a signature at the bottom if you use the free version.
4) It's quite slow in downloading emails and rendering them. Reminds me of the old computers that used to scan down images line by line lol Obviously not that bad, but it's not instant.
5) There are a few bugs floating around.

Last edited:
Reactions: weave

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I'm now on the Canary beta, so bombarding them with bug feedback... lol

Also on the Airmal beta and this is currently winning the race for me...

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So how do we our refund??

Posted on FB:
This is the info I got from Newton Mail.

"Hi,

Please login with your Newton credentials here - https://newtonhq.com/k/cpanel

Once you login, click on 'claim refund' and follow the instructions provided."

I had to chat in with Apple and, get sent to a Senior Advisor and now they're going to follow up via email in 24 hours.

So, it would seem that Newton Mail didn't actually work with Apple to make this process happen.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

Posted on FB:

"Hi,

I had to chat in with Apple and, get sent to a Senior Advisor and now they're going to follow up via email in 24 hours.

So, it would seem that Newton Mail didn't actually work with Apple to make this process happen.

This is crap! So their website says to go speak to Apple! We have to do all the work?!?!

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

Posted on FB:

"Hi,

God this is painful going through Apple, they originally said no and awaiting a senior advisor, they have no idea about this!!!

Reactions: GIZBUG

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Oooooooooh, I just got a full refund too - £36.99. So they’re refunding everything, not just pro-rata.

Kind of sucks we need to go through Apple to get a refund when Newton should have been proactive.

Since I purchased Newton over the 90 day threshold, I can’t report a problem directly with Apple to start the refund process. What did you do to get the refund?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.