Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
Anyone here own a Porsche? If so, what year and model....post pics fif you want.....=D

I'll dig some pics up of mine....=]

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Give me a mo while I snap some of my Enzo...it's just around the corner.

:rolleyes:

edit: haha e, coincidence?

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I was looking at picking up a mid 80's 944 last year in convertible form but gave up after coming up with very few leads for good condition ones. I instead settled on one of my many dream cars (Austin Healey Sprite).

The 944 for somewhat of a comprimise wish for me, I couldn't afford either a new one or a 356 (now that is a sexy car). I need to develope my car restoration techniques before I commit to a nice 356.

Ben

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Porsche is kinda on the steep, daytime trader with a lot of money to burn end. Plus I could not imagine the insurance on a 911. :p

An Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series is in my near future, as I am graduating from a VW Jetta. ;) :D

The A4 and 3 Series got Editors Choice as well. ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
alexstein said:
Is that the one that comes with an audi engine?
That was the early 924. The 944 (and 924S) got a new engine, essentially the 928's V8 chopped in half.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
i had a 911s targa back when i was in college. it had a 2.7 liter engine and was quite a blast to drive ( and race). sadly, this was before they built the cars with the u.s. climate in mind...meaning no oil cooler. thing always overheated and got vapor lock. after i threw the timing chain and destroyed the motor i had to sell it. got a nice reliable beemer...not as fast but it always started.

someday when the kids are grown i'll pick up another. for some strange reason i've always wanted a 928s. weird huh?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Togglehead said:
ooo ouch guys....lol

hey macs are pretty pricey..i figured if some of you dont mind spending so much on computers......then maybe cars werent far off....=P

heres mine (poor man's porsche): http://clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2942

Well, at least it's not a 914 or a 924 but I'd take a properly fitted Mazda RX-7 instead. 2.5 litre 4 cylinder with counter rotating balance shafts? Sounds lovely. Reminds me of a Mitsubishi Galant.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
3rdpath said:
i had a 911s targa back when i was in college. it had a 2.7 liter engine and was quite a blast to drive ( and race). sadly, this was before they built the cars with the u.s. climate in mind...meaning no oil cooler. thing always overheated and got vapor lock. after i threw the timing chain and destroyed the motor i had to sell it. got a nice reliable beemer...not as fast but it always started.

someday when the kids are grown i'll pick up another. for some strange reason i've always wanted a 928s. weird huh?

You had a Porsche in college? Geez. I don't have a car at all in college now and in high school I had a 4-cylinder Volvo station wagon. :eek:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I'm 13, so, no, I don't have a Porsche, but my Dad does.

I'll post a pic... sometime in my life :)o)

It's a Porsche Boxter S 2002 w/ all the special features (computerized tires, huge speakers, etc)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
My former landlords (great people) used to have a 911 that they kept out on the street. I came out one morning to head off to work to discover that it had been stripped during the night...hood punched through to snip the alarm, then everything of value stripped right out. Seats, headlights, taillights, steering wheel, console components, etc. We were in a great neighborhood, too...obviously a professional job by guys who had scoped it out.

After some debate over whether they really liked the Porsche all that much, they did replace it with another one, and they made room in the garage for it.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
It's not a Porsche, but...

Here's my new baby, parked in Saint Tropez. Notice all the jealous types around her.

It's obviously not mine

Attachments

• Website - St Tropez - 08.jpg
    Website - St Tropez - 08.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 102

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
At the age of 26 I bought an Arctic White Porsche Boxster w/Tiptronic transmission. Paid cash for it and basically cleaned out my bank account.

Now I'm 33, drive an Altima, and have a lot more savings. :)

But still, I definitely enjoyed it while I had it.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
tristan said:
At the age of 26 I bought an Arctic White Porsche Boxster w/Tiptronic transmission. Paid cash for it and basically cleaned out my bank account.

That baby was (probably) made in Finland, by the way ;)

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
heh heh...i see there are some fans out there.....=D

Yes its my daily driver. Yes i love it more than i love my thumbs (although i need them to drive it). And yes, it costs a bunch to repair.

I do a lot of the work myself....what better way to learn german cars than buy one, make it your daily driver.....im forced to learn, quickly and correctly.

Yes, my motor is basically half of the middle sized 928 engine (there were 3). Its a quick little car, that gets great gas mileage, looks cool (IMO) and GLUES to the road. I too would be looking at a 928 sometime in the future....and watching "Weird Science" clinched it for me.....i need one. Im a fan of 911's too (who isnt) but from the enthusiasts ive spoken to...the 944 will still handle far better that the 911, tuned right of course.

The 944 turbo (which i do NOT have) is a monster i would like to get my hands on too....While the 928 is nice....the 14 hour, quad cam, serpentine timing belt job (which if done wrong, blows the motor) is NOT something i look forward to every 60,000 miles......its bad enough doing it every 30k on my 944....lol But with the turbo, same engine as my car, pushing about 240hp weighing in at 2700lbs......thats about 11.25lbs per horse......do the math...thats quick!

As for the 944, you can pick up a good specimen for well under 10k.....i got mine for under 3K :D

hell...im 24.....i cant afford a Carrera GT yet....=P

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
gauchogolfer said:
Here's my new baby, parked in Saint Tropez. Notice all the jealous types around her.

But ...but ... It's YELLOW!? :eek:

Yellow Ferraris aren't real. :p

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
my stepdad has a porsche but i honestly don't know the model. i thought it was a 9s or a 911 or something. :eek: he's a mac user too. ;)

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
My dad has a vintage 356 (although I don't remember the year).

I remember driving it around LA, and although it was alot of fun, I also remember stopping at a light and not even reaching the top of a Ford Explorers wheelwell. That freaked me out a little.

I'll stick with my Saab 9000 aero for now.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
My good friend has a 911 4s I believe. I have ridden it in, and it was a lot of fun. It is a fine machine, but he babies the thing to death. Every time he takes it out, when he gets back, he puts it up on the the lift, and wipes the whole thing down, armorols the wheels, etc. I'm not sure if he does it because he is OC about the car, or because its a fined tuned car that needs a lot of small maintenance. To me its not worth it. I just want to get into my car and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.