Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
Hi everyone:

In august I bought a macbook pro 16 inch (basic 16 inch model) in space grey from the refurbished store so I could use it for my univeristy classes. I also bought a benq EW2780U(27 inch mac friendly monitor that also charged the laptop) along with an apple thunderbolt 3 cable, an apple keyboard, an apple usb-usb c converter, and a third party usb b to usb c converter for my backup disk. About a week into using my new computer I noticed that the usb-c ports on the left hand side would not recognize that something was plugged into them; the thunderbolt 3 failed, the usb b to usb c failed, and my usb to usb c converter failed. I tried resettting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM twice, which temporarily fixed the problem, but it always came back. I took my laptop into apple for a repair, and after I got it back the problem was gone for about 3 weeks during which time I continued using my monitor along with my backup disk on the left side like I normally would, but after 3 weeks the ports failed again, only this time intermittently. I eventually got Apple to take the laptop back and ordered a new one from the apple for education store.

Last week I got my new macbook pro; it has the same specs as my refurbished machine. I read that the 16 inch macs like to be charged on the right side instead of the left, so I moved my setup so my mac could hook up to my monitor, charge, and backup on the right side. This setup worked until yesterday when my right side ports began to fail intermittently(same problem as last time, no wires would work with it). I contacted apple support today and am returning the new laptop and getting another one. However, I know people here know a lot more about macs than I do, so i'm writting this to ask if anyone else has had issues with port failures on their 2019 macbook pro 16 inch when a benq EW2780U monitor is connected to their laptop, or if anyone has any advice for me so that I can keep my ports working.

Thank you.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
What cable are you using with charging? This immediately draws suspicion to both the display and the cable being used, and I would personally be hesitant to use either with the replacement. Interestingly, another user is experiencing a similar issue with a different brand display.

Your display only delivers 60 watts of power to your MacBook Pro, which is severely under OEM wattage (the 16-inch MacBook Pro needs the full 96 watts, and under high CPU and GPU usage can easily exceed 125 watts for short periods...this is a 4K display and by default you are going to be pulling in a pretty high system total when using this display.) While some users consider underpowering okay to do long term, I am of the opinion that this is NOT good for the computer or for the charging unit supplying power.

macbookfan21

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi everyone:

In august I bought a macbook pro 16 inch (basic 16 inch model) in space grey from the refurbished store so I could use it for my univeristy classes. I also bought a benq EW2780U(27 inch mac friendly monitor that also charged the laptop) along with an apple thunderbolt 3 cable, an apple keyboard, an apple usb-usb c converter, and a third party usb b to usb c converter for my backup disk. About a week into using my new computer I noticed that the usb-c ports on the left hand side would not recognize that something was plugged into them; the thunderbolt 3 failed, the usb b to usb c failed, and my usb to usb c converter failed. I tried resettting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM twice, which temporarily fixed the problem, but it always came back. I took my laptop into apple for a repair, and after I got it back the problem was gone for about 3 weeks during which time I continued using my monitor along with my backup disk on the left side like I normally would, but after 3 weeks the ports failed again, only this time intermittently. I eventually got Apple to take the laptop back and ordered a new one from the apple for education store.

Last week I got my new macbook pro; it has the same specs as my refurbished machine. I read that the 16 inch macs like to be charged on the right side instead of the left, so I moved my setup so my mac could hook up to my monitor, charge, and backup on the right side. This setup worked until yesterday when my right side ports began to fail intermittently(same problem as last time, no wires would work with it). I contacted apple support today and am returning the new laptop and getting another one. However, I know people here know a lot more about macs than I do, so i'm writting this to ask if anyone else has had issues with port failures on their 2019 macbook pro 16 inch when a benq EW2780U monitor is connected to their laptop, or if anyone has any advice for me so that I can keep my ports working.

Thank you.
OMG i literally just posted a very similar issue I have been having with my MB Pro 16"! Also 2 laptops in and I have the issue again.

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
really? what monitor are you using? Wondering if this is some sort of manurfacutring defect affecting a small number of devices.

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
What cable are you using with charging? This immediately draws suspicion to both the display and the cable being used, and I would personally be hesitant to use either with the replacement. Interestingly, another user is experiencing a similar issue with a different brand display.

Your display only delivers 60 watts of power to your MacBook Pro, which is severely under OEM wattage (the 16-inch MacBook Pro needs the full 96 watts, and under high CPU and GPU usage can easily exceed 125 watts for short periods...this is a 4K display and by default you are going to be pulling in a pretty high system total when using this display.) While some users consider underpowering okay to do long term, I am of the opinion that this is NOT good for the computer or for the charging unit supplying power.
That's what i'm wondering too. It could also be a problem with the design of a small number of macbooks.

macbookfan21

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2020
really? what monitor are you using? Wondering if this is some sort of manurfacutring defect affecting a small number of devices.
I'm using SAMSUNG 43" CJ890 UltraWide. Had no issues with USB-C connection directly to my old Dell laptop. But both 16" Macbook Pros (i9 model) had the issue with it.

For your case, did it only happen when you used direct USB-C cable to connect with your macbook to the monitor? I am wondering if using a dongle or hdmi can mitigate it. I think it might be something with the direct USB-C connection messing up the charge draw

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
I'm using SAMSUNG 43" CJ890 UltraWide. Had no issues with USB-C connection directly to my old Dell laptop. But both 16" Macbook Pros (i9 model) had the issue with it.

For your case, did it only happen when you used direct USB-C cable to connect with your macbook to the monitor? I am wondering if using a dongle or hdmi can mitigate it. I think it might be something with the direct USB-C connection messing up the charge draw
no. It seems to happen regardless of which cable I was using. Just an hour or 2 ago my backup cable (usb-b to usb-c) didn't connect to my top right port. This also occured with my usb a- usb-c converter. I think gth56 is right though, in which case I have to return the monitor and let benq know their monitor could be doing this.

macbookfan21

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2020
no. It seems to happen regardless of which cable I was using. Just an hour or 2 ago my backup cable (usb-b to usb-c) didn't connect to my top right port. This also occured with my usb a- usb-c converter. I think gth56 is right though, in which case I have to return the monitor and let benq know their monitor could be doing this.
But using a non-USBC cable caused it? I know no cables work with that port anymore, but what cable were you using primarily before the ports went out?

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
Sometimes it was the usb c-usb c connector, and sometimes it was my usb-b to usb-c connector. Weirdly enough I've never had my usb a to usb c adaptor plugged in and then had the port fail.

macbookfan21

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2020
Sometimes it was the usb c-usb c connector, and sometimes it was my usb-b to usb-c connector. Weirdly enough I've never had my usb a to usb c adaptor plugged in and then had the port fail.
So I think what could be causing our problems is using the usb-c to usb-c connection, as only this connection supplies a charge to the macbook pro. I don't think using hdmi/display port/usb-a should be harming the macbook pro since thereoretically these are just mirroring screen contents to the display, and are not affecting charge or power draw, so these should work safely with any monitor, right?

Mac_user007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
So I think what could be causing our problems is using the usb-c to usb-c connection, as only this connection supplies a charge to the macbook pro. I don't think using hdmi/display port/usb-a should be harming the macbook pro since thereoretically these are just mirroring screen contents to the display, and are not affecting charge or power draw, so these should work safely with any monitor, right?
I have no idea. My problem could be that my monitor also charges my mac via usb c, and underpowers it significantly. I will try switching to an HDMI to usb-c converter when my new machine comes and see what that does (if it stops charging the computer I should be OK).

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I don't see how undercharging the mac through the usb c cable would cause the ports to fail? If anything all you should see are performance issues and the battery running down while using the computer. Is it possible the computer shuts down those ports to save power somehow? If you plug it in using its own 97W adaptor do the ports start working again? Otherwise could be an issue specific to the 16 inch? It seems you are using the i7, in another thread I believed the person was using an i9 16 inch so not necessarily processor specific.

I use my 13 inch 2020 MBP plugged into a dell usb c monitor that delivers 65 W (granted exactly what the computer needs, so a different situation) for the past few months daily and no problems thus far.

macbookfan21

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2020
I don't see how undercharging the mac through the usb c cable would cause the ports to fail? If anything all you should see are performance issues and the battery running down while using the computer. Is it possible the computer shuts down those ports to save power somehow? If you plug it in using its own 97W adaptor do the ports start working again? Otherwise could be an issue specific to the 16 inch? It seems you are using the i7, in another thread I believed the person was using an i9 16 inch so not necessarily processor specific.

I use my 13 inch 2020 MBP plugged into a dell usb c monitor that delivers 65 W (granted exactly what the computer needs, so a different situation) for the past few months daily and no problems thus far.
I'm the guy from the other thread with the i9! In my case, the ports do still work when I plug in the apple charger, but thats the only functionality left, nothing else will work with the USB-C ports. On my previous MBPro that had this same issue, the ports eventually died to a point where it wouldn't even recognize the charger. The only thing that I can really think of is it being a charging/wiring issue with using a USB-C- to- USB-C connection, I am hoping that it can be fixed by using a displayport cable.

Reactions: Bustermd

PotatoMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
I’m having a similar problem with an i7 16” MacBook Pro. The USB-C ports seem to be malfunctioning, though I mainly see it when trying to share my iPad screen via zoom. I also tried to reset SMC and NVRAM. It seemed like this helped, but not for long. Additionally, sometimes the MacBook Pro does not seem to recognize that it is being charged, and at least twice it has failed to fall asleep when putting it into my bag (when I retrieved it it was hot and the battery nearly drained). Unfortunately, my AppleCare has expired. Can’t believe a $2500 laptop is having these issues after 14 months of ownership. Note that I do not charge through a monitor, but I do use my old 2010 iMac in target display mode via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I also use a USB hub and a few usb-C to A adapters, and an Ethernet to USB-C adapter. All of these are third-party, but the charger is apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.