iPhone XS Portrait mode is a joke!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Kulfon

20DDCB81-222A-4DE4-89B2-6CEB00B99537.jpeg I am a photographer. I tried the so called portrait mode on xs and it is a very poorly executed simulation of what a telephoto lens would do. See the egdes of the stones, they are blured too along with the blured bacground. This cannot be used.

2. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

Maybe its just me but this looks like a great photo....I don't think its supposed to be equivalent to some $xxxx.xx camera out there but it does what it needs to pretty well. Also not sure if trolling or not....

3. off_piste macrumors 6502a

It struggles with certain objects that don’t have obvious edges but it does a great job for a camera phone. It’s not meant for pro photography.

And since when is this effect created by a telephoto lens? I’ve used my wife’s expensive DSLR and you do not use a telephoto to create this effect. You use something like a fixed 50mm lens.

4. off_piste macrumors 6502a

He’s complaining mainly about the second rock from the top. Both the right and left edges are blurry because the algorithm had trouble with those edges. I see this most often with my daughter’s stray hair.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Actually, it looks good to me. Only professional photographers such as yourself would notice these details.

6. Denaaaa macrumors member

At the end of the day this is a camera....... on a phone. There’s no way it’s ever going to be as good as what will be taken on a DSLR

7. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

most of you I assume didnt open the picture and look around the edges of the rock. ITs bad if you do this but most people don't zoom and inspect the edges that well they just look at the overall picture and think it looks good.

8. chanerz macrumors 65816

Meh looks good. I have a mirrorless camera anyway.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I generally think most iPhone users are fine with portrait mode, if somebody wants an entirely different experience, then that would be with a DSLR. For the record, I have observed quite a few amazing photos with portrait mode from other users in various threads, and sometimes the best camera you have, is the one you have on you.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

No phone on the market takes as good pictures as a good DSLR and lens in the right hands. They do a great job as a point and shoot.

11. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

iPhones now have great cameras but portrait mode just looks so fake and tacky.

12. Mildredop macrumors 68020

If you're a photographer, use a camera, not a smartphone.

Frankly, I think the effect and quality from such a tiny lens and tiny sensor is incredible. But to think it can be as good as a full frame SLR with a long lens is ridiculous.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

14. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’m also a photographer. You can get the blurred background with any DSLR and lens combination if you know what you are doing! 50mm prime or 70-200. Just shoot wide open and try to get the subject far away from the background.

However what the iPhone does is to create that with software. Just like using PS, it’s not perfect at mimicking this effect. However it’s pretty good. Yes on the example above and ones I’ve taken, it is soft around certain edges.
    But it’s not (for me anyway), ever going to replace my expensive pro kit. But when I’m not doing photography and I see a good image, it will do a job.
    And if you don’t like the portrait mode, don’t use it. I rarely do and find the actual camera to be very good for certain shots.

15. Sustainerplayer macrumors newbie

Sustainerplayer

The model also appears to have a stoneface. Must be the camera’s fault.

16. doboy macrumors 68020

Wow, what kind of “photographer” thinks a cell phone camera could accurately reproduce a real shallow depth of field. Lol

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I find it somewhat cumbersome the keep my 200mm f2 telephoto lens and DSLR in my pocket at all times.

What the iPhone does is not perfect but most will like a lot!

18. Mike82 macrumors member

I'm not a professional photographer, but this still looks awful to me.

19. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

Who told you to take the pictures of the rock which can fall anytime. Are you sure rocks weren't moving when you took the picture? Looks like a windy place.

20. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/t...cket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits
    Exactly I too am a photographer and while I would not use an iPhone for a portrait session, clearly for a casual user computational photography compensates and gives a lovely image. Working within the limits of your equipment is a given. In your case you are expecting too much and you are shooting a rock. I wear classes and if I do not look head on my glasses are blurred on the edges. Ok got it, but so what??? I am quite certain that advancements in photography will be on the software side. Here is a great article on the matter. Doomsday for my photo business but that's ok I get by, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone starting out now, at least in the traditional sense. Instagram would make a liar out of me of course things will keep evolving and people will find new ways to make a buck with their cameras, or phones, or whatever.

Take a look at this, as a photographer you will understand it:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/t...cket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

21. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

22. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I believe Apple’s portrait mode was only designed to work properly when a face is in the image. Rocks, mailboxes, telephone poles, product photography seem to be hit or miss IME (I’ve tried it). There are threads on MR and articles

Here’s a blurb about the Halide app on Daring Fireball last Monday:

‘I’m so glad Halide offers this, but I can see why Apple hasn’t enabled it for non-human subjects in the built-in Camera app. It’s hit or miss. But when it hits it can look great. ...’

Photographers use a lot of cameras. The iPhone has a great one although like all simple cameras it lacks flexibility needed in many pro situations but the image quality is fine as long as you’re not printing too large.

23. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

I assume photography is not your strongest area? Of interested, I can explain what creates bokeh:)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    In a small size, yes, but if you see full picture, it is clear the bokeh is fake.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

019F614A-03F3-4E79-AB8E-42B70EDEC654.jpeg
    I have used portrait mode on many subjects and it has never failed to work.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I think what the opp is referring to is the bit on the left most red pointy leaf where the edge is blurred.
    But only a pixel peeper would notice.