Possable Mac Pro Release Dates

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adamzx3, Sep 18, 2007.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I am chomping at the bit for the next refresh in mac pro's, I might be getting some money from refinancing my student loan and could get a mac-pro within this month, anyone have dates of when they could release the refresh? I was hoping that the london event would spark something :/

Also when is leopard supposed to be released know?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Along with the Mac Pro in October. The latest we will see the Mac Pro is November as the chips will even be available retail on November 11. Worst case is Macworld 08 for the Mac Pro, but that is a longshot.

3. jerrah macrumors member

4. bigbird macrumors 6502

I'm speculating we'll see a freshened Mac Pro before Leopard. Why would Apple give away Leopard when they can charge for an upgrade, even if it's only $20. They say Intel is pumping out Penryns from two American plants as we speak. Where are these Penryn's going right now? Wal-Mart? Home Depot? Nope, I'll say Apple, HP, and Dell.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's unlikely Apple would want to write Tiger drivers for the new Mac Pro hardware for a few weeks use or for only a handful of customers. I don't believe we will see a new Mac Pro shipping with Tiger.

6. misterhead macrumors newbie

Lawd please help me pull the trigger

So I'm ready to buy a Mac Pro tower or Pro laptop. But I'll literally scream if new models are introduced weeks later. Which always happens to me :mad:

Somebody...SOMEBODY out there MUST know SOMETHING...

I'm thinking the new pro's will be released with "Leopard Inside"...makes sense, right?

7. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Unless you absolutely need the latest and greatest, a good option at this time is to buy one of the current models used or refurbed since people are unloading them at good prices. The current Mac Pro is by no means weak. Save the extra cash now, and get a truly spectacular machine when Intel's Nehalem CPU is released late 2008.

8. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

thanks guys,

I kind of figured a release with leopard also, would also make sense to make people upgrade to leopard as well...hmmm October isnt so far away though. (any idea when in oct. ?)

9. bigbird macrumors 6502

I think you're right. I didn't factor in the work involved with Tiger. So, Leopard and freshened Mac Pro on the same day? Oct 26th?

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

That would be my guess too. On the Apple end, why come out with the MacPro now when they would only need to re-install the OS when Leopard comes out? Might as well ship it with Leopard so they aren't doing something twice. Know what I mean?

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, There is one advantage in buying the current model. It has proven to be a very reliable and stable machine.

If you buy the current one, you can rest with confidence that you are getting a very well refined machine, and one with little to no problems.

I'm not going to tell you that the new model will be any worse. But, there is the unknown.

The new model could come out, and be every bit as reliable and stable and perfect as the current model.

Or, it could come out, and be a big disappointment.

I purchased my Mac Pro just last month. I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. And, finally decided it was time to actually get some work done instead of waiting.

And, the decision was made easier by looking at Apple's recent trends.

1) The latest iMac revision was anything but impressive. It got a big uglier (to my eyes), and in some ways felt like a bit of a downgrade. I will admit, that I was really tempted by it because of it's glass screen (I've always longed for a LCD panel with a glass screen cover). And, I think it is otherwise a fine machine. But, I don't really care for it's new color scheme. I would buy it anyway (since looks are secondary to me). But, it really isn't a major improvement over the last model in my personal opinion. You're opinion may be different, and that's fine. I'm just basing things on how I personally like or dislike them.

2) iLife '08. That one was really, really sad. The only reason I use a Mac instead of a PC is iLife. iLife '05 and iLife '06 are literally the only thing that kept me loyal to the Mac. I would otherwise be fine with either a PC or Mac. But, iLife tipped the scale in Apple's favor for me. But, with iLife '08 being delivered with a version of iMovie that is completely useless for my application, I was really disappointed. So, while I have iLife '08, I am using iMovie '06. Not really worth the wait for a new version to me. I regret having longed for the new revision of iLife. It was definitely not worth the wait.

3) The new iPod Nano. I really struggled with whether to buy the last generation iPod Nano (the aluminum one). I had a first generation Nano that was damaged so easily that simply taking it out of it's packaging and turning it on scratched it (I was one of the early adopters). So, I was really disappointed with it. I was going to return it, but my wife said she wanted it instead (she plastered it in protective film to keep it from getting worse).

So, fast forward to about 3 months ago. I have an iPod connection in my truck. And, I wanted to know it would work with the iPod I planned to get. So, I struggled with the buy now or wait.

I opted to buy now (so I could get one that would work - figuring that the OS X based models would likely not work with my iPod adapter in the truck.

I figured the upcoming model would likely make me wish I had waited. But, the assurance that I had a model which didn't run an incompatible OS for my interface was important (my truck's radio directly controls the iPod, so a new OS on the iPod would likely break that).

Then, Apple releases the new iPod Nano. And, sure, it plays videos. But, I don't play videos. And, I don't like the idea of watching videos on a little screen. And, I don't like the idea of buying videos to watch on it when I already have a DVD for said video (although I know I can illegally??? hack my movies to play on the iPod). But, since video is not really a concern for me, I could care less about that feature.

So, that leaves me with the form factor of the new iPod. And, while I would still buy it (because it's functional), I just don't find it's new form factor remotely attractive or interesting. If I didn't have an iPod, then sure I'd still buy it (because it would work). But, if I had to chose between the current model and the new one based on looks, I'd chose the old model.

You see, the trend I am observing, is that the new revisions are either going backwards in respect to the things I like or care about, or just standing still in those respects.

Yes, the new iMac is a little faster. Yes, it has a glass covered screen (which I really like). But, it is less attractive, and it's not a compelling upgrade / improvement. Sure, I'd still buy it. But, I wouldn't say it is any better than the model it replaces. In some respects I would say it's worse.

The new iPod Nano has video, but that isn't a feature I need. So, that leaves the only change that is noticeable to me being it's looks. And, it's just not very nice looking to me.

The iLife '08 revision could have been skipped entirely by me. It offers absolutely no value over iLife '06 for my uses. If they had never released iLife '08, I would have absolutely nothing lost. My needs are still being met by using the older iMovie '06, and ignoring the presence of iMovie '08. And, the iPhoto '08 improvements are a joke. The whole turning everything into "Events" is not really so automatic. And, doing it manually might as well just be done the same way as before. It's automatic mode turned 11 years worth of digital photos ranging from my wedding, to my mother-in-law's wedding, to ultrasounds of my daughter, to all our vacations, to various snaps here and there (which amounts to literally thousands of different days and occasions) into a mere 20 events. Things that are literally months apart are being grouped into the same "event". Not very useful. And, if I go and sort it manually, then what use is the feature to me. None (that's a lot of sorting - which I can do just as effectively by sorting by date and scrolling through the pictures).

To sum it up, just buy what you want. At least if you buy what you see now, you can be sure you like it (unless you don't like what you see now).

If you wait for the next model, then what if you don't like it? You've waited and lost productive time anticipating something that was a let down.

What if the new model's much better? Well, that happens with computers. I've watched lots of computers I've owned be replaced with new models. It happens.

But, if you purchased a machine that met your needs, then you should still find it just as useful to you tomorrow as it is today.

12. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Who the heck has time to read all that? ^^^^^^ lol

13. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I agree. I bought my Mac Pro this summer, and I am thankful every day that I did. I am accomplishing so much with it each day. Without it, I would just be twiddling my thumbs.

So buy now if you need it..... that's always my advice (unless you are certain that an update is coming within a few days.....).

14. shayesky macrumors member

my work mac pro is GREAT! this unit I have at home, freezes up
    constantly. I have to restart at least twice a day. It's like my right
    monitor freezes, can't click or drag on anything. I should have
    kept my G5.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hey, I had an hour break from installing drywall :D

Suck it up and read it :eek:

Just kidding. I know I can get long-winded sometimes. But, I thought I'd explain my reasoning rather than just saying such and such product sucks. That way it could be seen as an opinion rather than starting a flame war ;)

16. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Exactly.

The rumors have pointed at specific dates for updates several times this year, and had been wrong each time. I finally decided that I'd waited long enough, and wanted to get some work done.

If you are only looking at waiting a few days, then sure wait. But, if we're looking at November or December, then only wait if you have the time and don't really need the machine.

If the computer you have now meets your needs, and the new one is just a luxury, then wait as long as you want until you feel that you're getting your money's worth.

Hopefully the next machine won't sacrifice something that the current one has though. That would be my fear. With the recent trends, I'd be concerned of something like weaker graphics, or less expandability, or some cheesy case, or some other little sacrifice that would be spun as the most impressive upgrade ever.

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The only rumors that have come about the Mac Pro are the ones here. You can hardly say there have been failed rumors. Not to mention if there were said rumors their lack of pervasion anywhere on the net are case in point to their validity.

Regardless. The Mac Pro has to be updated. It is in effect inevitable. The question is what will they do? Who know. But for me, I can live without the machine at the moment. And, I can't bring myself to pay the price for such an outdated computer no matter how great it is.

I think that is how most people waiting feel. If Apple screws up, I will just buy a refurb. I personally doubt that will happen. And, while of course your opinion on things is valued, judging the updates based on your view would be foolish. Most people enjoy the new iMac.

Of course you noted that this was your view, however you snowballed that into this supposed trend that everyone should be aware of.

Anyhow. For me, it makes sense to wait. No one knows when the Mac Pro is coming. No rumors are currently running to give us a hint. Although, most people don't care about the Mac Pro which I think is a factor with the lack of rumors. I mean, look at that penryn story on the front page. How many people jumped in to ask whether the iMac or MBP would be getting them soon. :rolleyes: My recommendation, the standard around here. If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait it out.

18. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

yea i'm going to wait it out :)
    I really dont neeed the mac pro now,just a luxury I guess. I am using the macbook pro 2ghz, 2gb-ram on a 24" Eizo...really updating cs3 would be my strongest upgrade lol.

I'm going to wait untill the end of the year when I graduate and start freelancing...right now I have more time than money :D

19. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, it is just my view. The thing is, that as I mentioned, these changes may be nice for some people. The trend as I mentioned, is that things just seem to be moving away from what I like.

In my last post, for example, I mentioned some kind of cheesy case. Well, what is a cheesy case to me, might be ideal for someone else. But, if they go all polycarbonite and glossy, then they'd have gone backwards to me. Others however like polycarbonite and glossy. I don't think they'll do that, but I use it as an example.

Likewise, they could shrink the case down a bit, and that would be great from one perspective. But, if it meant reduced expansion options, then it wouldn't be ideal for others. But, for many, it would be nice.

It all comes down to what a person wants. One persons improvement / upgrade is another persons downgrade.

That's why I used the example of the iPod Nano. For many, the addition of video would be an improvement and great additional feature. For me, I don't care about portable video playing if it means watching it on a 2-inch screen and repurchasing a movie I already have (although I am aware of the questionably legal / illegal options for cracking the copy-protection of DVD's to play them on an iPod).

So, in that instance, the only change for me would be the looks of the new iPod Nano. And, to me that is a downgrade.

The trend I noted is subjective. And, was intended as such. It means that the trend has been that their newer products have tended to be less suited to me than their older products. As such, the new products are often less desirable to me.

With that trend in-mind, I can't justify waiting. It may work out, or it may mean I've waited for yet another disappointment (like iLife '08).

I think most people will have read what I said, and understood it's meaning from that point of view.

But, it's that way with any new product.

Imagine the disappointment of the Ford Taurus lovers. If they waited for the new model year, and then found out that the new Ford Taurus was a re-badged Ford 500.

Now, if they were the type who really liked the Ford 500, then they'd be happy with the change.

But, if they were the type who liked the Taurus for the qualities that made it a Taurus, then a Ford 500 with a Taurus name-plate would have been a disappointment.

Note: I don't like the Taurus (old or new), so don't read too much into that. It is purely an example used for illustration.

It all depends on what a person sees as a defining quality. What a person really wants out of a given product, and which quality / design element would diminish a products value if it were changed (in that person's view-point).

20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Uhh......

Did you or did you not apologize three or four posts ago for being so long-winded?

Seriously, maybe five or six words in your latest diatribe have to do with the Mac Pro. The rest of it deals with Nano's and Ford Taurus'. This forum is about Mac Pros.

Please stay on topic.

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Same here man. Same here.

I am just excited about Leopard.

I don't really care about a 20% speed increase with the newer CPU's.

22. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You are in a different position than most having spent the $1500 for the 3.0 Ghz Clovertown CPUs. Call it poor, cheap whatever you want, but as a college student I find that it makes more sense to save money. Especially $1500. Because, if all the thoughts here are correct an all octo Mac Pro (whenever the update comes) would be a lot cheaper than $1500, on top of the $2500, in fact, an octo could come in at $2500. Assuming they use the 2.83Ghz chips in the base model, that Mac Pro will perform as good or better than yours, for $1500 less. Sure you may have made that money back. Kudos. But I don't make that much on my jobs as I simply don't have the time to do large and high paying ones.

Anyhow, my point is that you aren't the norm. Most people are shelling out that much for a Mac Pro. Maybe because they don't have, maybe because they don't think it is smart. Whatever. But simply reducing the new Mac Pro to 20% faster is ignoring the majority who would buy the base model, in which case the performance increase is monster.

23. stimpycat macrumors regular

The new Mac Pros will only arrive with or after Leopard - the new Mac Pro will not be able to run Tiger so there is zero chance of the Mac Pro coming before Leopard

My guess is they will arrive the same day.

24. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Lol. Do you realize that many (maybe most) pro apps will not be compatible with Leopard the day of release? It usually takes many months after an OS release before companies release updates for their products to run on the new OS. Can you imagine a pro upgrading his Mac Pro and being forced onto a new OS and HOPE that his apps run ok in it. I doubt Mac will force Leopard.

25. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

do we expect upgraded acd's to come out at the same time? And if not then when?