Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A video showcasing what is claimed to be the rear shell of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 was published today by Nowhereelse.fr. While component leaks have been abundant for the 4.7-inch version, this is one of only a few leaks for the 5.5-inch iPhone, which is rumored to be entering production in September. The site's sources also claim Apple has selected "iPhone Air" as the name for this larger iPhone version.

video-iPhone-6-Air-coque.jpg
The metal frame in this latest leak is similar in appearance to a rear shell that appeared last month. Both shells have thick antenna breaks, a rounded opening for an updated True Tone flash, a cutout for the Apple logo, a space for elongated volume buttons and a side mounted power button.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at an event scheduled for September 9th at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, California. While it most certainly is an iPhone event, it is not known whether the company will announce both the 4.7-inch and the 5.5-inch models at this time.

If Apple introduces the 5.5-inch model on September 9th, the company may stagger the retail sales of the two phones, offering the 4.7-inch model sometime in September and waiting to ship the 5.5-inch version until the end of the year due to production issues.

Article Link: Possible 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Rear Shell Showcased in New Video

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
iPhone Air cause my battery died and thats all I can get.

did they not think of the possible jokes from rivals?

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Same shape rear shell keeps showing up again and again. Seems like the shell might be the 'leakiest' part on new Apple hardware.

My theory: I think they give detailed specs and/or mockup parts to case and accessory manufacturers in advance. Since accessory makers far outnumber the companies involved with actually manufacturing the phone, we see more shell leaks than anything else.

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
iPhone Air and iPad Air is really confusing naming when it's the bigger model.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
With the iPad Air being the larger iPad and now this reported 'iPhone Air' being the largest iPhone ever, the 'Air' moniker may now be associated with 'large'.

Kind of weird since it initially was associated with low weight and portability. The MacBook line is also doing the opposite, with the MBA being (on average) smaller than MBPs.

keeponkeepingon

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
I really don't mind the bands on the silver colour.....and I'm sure in the space grey it will look even more subtle.....you know apple wouldn't sign of on something everyone thought was ugly...but its true you can't please everyone. But i think a lot of people will grow to like them or when they see the polished product and actually get it in there hands they will feel less strongly about it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.