Possible Screen Options for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Sedrick, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Since I had the iPhone 4 CAD drawing that Apple gives out to case makers, I put 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0" overlays on it so show exactly what will and what won't fit in the same iPhone housing. As you can see, 4.0 is not even possible. 3.9 will go edge to edge and I'm not even sure that's possible. It looks like 3.7 or 3.8 is the only option...

The current 3.5" "retina" screen is 326ppi (pixels per inch).

Variations according to size:
    3.7" = 308.39ppi
    3.8" = 300.24ppi
    3.9" = 292.42ppi
    4.0" = 285.25ppi

Technically, the human eye cannot descern anything above 300ppi, so Apple could do 3.8" and still call it "retina".

Anyway, this is good for reference if nothing else...

Attached Files:

2. mach macrumors regular

Pretty nice! Hopefully it's at least 3.8", I'm hoping for 4" though since otherwise I feel the increase would be negligible and wouldn't really allow for any benefit (such as a 5-column homescreen, for example).

Great to get an idea of exactly how it would work though. I think a 4" 'edge-to-edge' screen might still be able to work if the metal antenna bar in the center still extends out slightly from the front and back panels though. Thoughts?

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Are you sure these measurements are correct? Because there were articles of an edge to edge 4" screen posted on numerous tech sites. How about moving the home button down a bit and increasing the sides just a bit? Hmm.. i doubt Apple would do that though.
    Well, i hope Apple changes the form factor a bit then. Otherwise heres hoping for a 3.8" screen.

You mean 5-row homescreen right?

4. mach, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

mach macrumors regular

Well there are 5 rows right now if you include the dock, so essentially what I mean is for 5 icons across (and 5 down) above the dock, and 5 icons in the dock.

[​IMG]

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Understood. Do you think that'll be reasonable though on a 3.8" to 4" screen?

6. mach macrumors regular

Unsure, personally I'm hoping Apple adds widgets to the homescreens so we won't have to just be using an icon grid. I'm definitely on board with a screen size increase, the iPhone needs it sorely IMO (not too big, no need to be a Droid X, but 3.5" is feeling a little dated).

I'd even buy into an "iPhone Pro" if they were to have two models, the current one as a standard and a 'Pro' model with larger screen, better camera, HD front camera, and possibly a couple other features to differentiate enough from the standard model, but still prevent fragmentation.

That said, can't wait until June. My 3GS is starting to choke a little :(

7. Sedrick, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm confident they're correct. Now, if Apple decides to change the aspect ratio (which I kept) then they could go skinnier and taller and get 4" in, but that would screw with everything...

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

This is good info, thanks. I'm surprised no one had done the calculations before.

Apple would never screw around with the aspect ratio, so 3.7 is probably what we'll see if there's a screen size increase.

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I completely agree, and i doubt they would be messing up with the aspect ratio. So we're looking at a 3.8" screen then, to go hand in hand with the rumors. Well, would .2" make a difference?

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think it would make a difference. It doesn't sound like much but its still a 5.4% increase. They have high paid marketing people that will make you think it makes a difference.

11. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I bigger screen would mean the Retina display would have to be redone. I don't see it happening in my opinion.

12. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Will be called iPhone 4HD

bigger screen (3.8")
    same resolution
    same external size

thats my prediction for an upgraded iphone 4

iphone 5 = who knows what they will do

13. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Sedrick would you mind to put all 5 pictures in one row, so i could better see and imagine the differences?

I really want a 4" screen, but if 3.8" is the max. for apple because the wont change the size of the device, from what i see 3.8" is a difference you will notice.

Als keep in mind, that if the go above 3.8", the ppi will go under 300, so i think it wont happen.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I hope you're kidding.
    Why would they name it iPhone 4HD? It's the 5th generation of the iPhone.

iPhone = iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
    iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
    iPhone 4 = iPhone 4
    iPhone 5 = iPhone 5.

By your logic... iPhone 5 = iPhone 6, see what i mean? the 3GS name was used for one reason that it didn't make sense to go from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3. Apple finally got back to numerical value, and since the upgrade from iPad to iPad 2 was numerical i think that's how it'll be for a while as well.
    Keep in mind the iPhone 3G was the first kickoff for subsidized iPhones, and the major emphasis was on the 3G network as internally it was similar to the original iPhone.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Because of this, I don't think Apple will change the size. That's just my opinion.

16. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I agree. they called the new iPad the iPad 2 even though it only has relatively minor improvements. Their new naming scheme is just a larger number.

17. cdmta macrumors member

What if the home button is gone and they stretch it more lengthwise? It would maybe change the aspect ratio a little, but it would work for a 4" screen.

18. tigert07 macrumors regular

LTE hopefully. AT&T and Verizon's LTE networks will both be out there by the time July 2012 rolls around.

19. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Am I the only one fine with the current screen size?

20. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4 is slightly slimmer than the iPhone 3GS, so a 4" should be able to fit - on the iPhone 3GS' case size.

21. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Because bigger is better in the world of Apple. I wonder what difference Apple would have seen in sales / media coverage if they called it iPad1 S.

Then iPad 2 could have sat in line with 2012, iPad 3 2013. You see where I'm going.

22. elan123 macrumors 6502

most likely

23. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I wish someone would take the time to post hypothetical homescreens and app windows - because then it would be apparent how there is basically no benefit in such a small increase in screen size.

24. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

If all Apple does is increase the screen size by a measly .2", big damn deal.

That's like paying .99 cents for something as opposed to $1.00. The difference is so minuscule why even bother.

>= 4" or not worth it.

25. hayesk macrumors 65816

Nope. I think it's fine too.

Apple isn't going to change the aspect ratio, nor the number of pixels. It may make them slightly bigger, but not by much as it would affect the "retina-ness" of the display.