Possible to get iPhone 6 Plus at launch if you didn't preorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoricuaHec01, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

So I didn't preorder because I'm going to trade in my iPhone 5 to get the $200 credit towards the Plus. I see that they sold out quite quickly for pre orders so my question is: Is there still a possiblity to pick up a Space Gray iPhone 6 Plus 64GB at launch day at a Verizon store if I didn't pre order? I'm going to try to be one of the first in line since it's a small local store by my house. Anyone doing the same? Input?

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes, go to the store very early on September 19th.

3. Gxray macrumors member

Fixed that for you :)

4. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

I don't have to be there day before, do I? I'm not that much of a hype. They're opening stores at 8 so I'm going to try to be there by 6 or sooner. I took off a vacation day at work to get this phone so I can't be disappointed lol.

5. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

In my experience, you would want to go as early as you can afford- the 17th or 18th even. This is the most popular iPhone release by far, and there will be longer lines than you're expecting.

6. Bazilemac macrumors regular

try to go to a lesser known verizon store too

7. cornerexit macrumors regular

Go stand in line.

Find a smaller store. The big stores get all the traffic.

Good luck

8. Jizzles macrumors regular

It also depends on the store and security. Some malls like my local one doesn't allow people to line up prior to 4am.

9. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

That's what I'm saying, the more popular stores especially Apple will be swamped day before. Where I'm going, security guards don't let anyone at the lots before opening.

10. rkoshack macrumors regular

Judging by how fast they sold out online I would say the stores will also have limited quantities of the 6+ at launch so I would say go line up the night before

11. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

My point exactly.

12. itjw macrumors 65816

For the 4, Best Buy hosed a buddy of mine on a pre-order so he thought "I'll just go wait in line". He got there at 5AM. The line was literally a mile long.

You MIGHT get a 6 if you show up at 6AM.

A 6+? Highly unlikely.

If you want a launch 6+ from the stores, and want anything but 16GB especially, there's no excuse for not being there as soon as humanly possible. If they allow queueing the day before, bring something comfy and go and relax/watch movies in line.

Or do what my buddy did for his 4 and pay someone to wait for you.

Just another situation where money solves everything :D

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its always possible. I think you'll have some luck in going to the carrier stores then the apple store.

14. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I doubt there will be much of a chance of getting the 6 plus in stores on release day unless you are hardcore and one of the first to wedge themselves in there. I think demand for this outstripped supply by a very wide margin. Many preorders (like mine) are not due to ship for a month or more. Some people got lucky, but I sure wouldn't bet on there being many in the stores. I predict the 6 will be pretty abundant, however.

15. omyard macrumors regular

That can also work against you. When the 5 came out I forgot about the smaller AT&T store and went to the bigger one. Turns out the smaller one had more people lined up and less phones available than the store I went to.

Normally I would agree with the going to the out of the way store approach though.

16. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Yea I should be fine hopefully, but it's for sure that all stores should get ALL the models, right? Even if they're going to be highly limited quantities. Cause looks like everyone is going to want the Plus 64GB in Space Gray. Will they at least have one of those?

17. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Nothing is for sure. Smaller stores are not going to get as many as the larger outlets. I live in a small town, and our release day usually consists of a handful of 16GB phones, and that's it. They will sell out quick, if they are there at all. Best you can do is get there mega-early. Best of luck, I hope you can grab one.

18. beebo87 macrumors member

I was kind of wondering this as well... iPhone 6 pre-orders are still showing 9/19 ship date and even 9/19 in store pick up. I kinda get the feeling EVERYONE in line next week will be there for for a 6 Plus. If previous launches have taught me anything, it's that Apple has low stock of the new product. The White iPhone4 wasn't even on sale til a few months later. The Gold iPhone 5S was extremely limited on launch day... Wonder how iPhone 6 Plus is going to be.

19. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

Suck it up and lineup at midnight the night before. That's your best bet.

20. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

I need to grab one, I took off work for it lol.

----------

I'll be down to do that, hopefully security will let me and make exceptions. I just can't be too early on the 18th cause I don't get off work til 5 and have class until 8. I'm bringing a chair.

21. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Agreed ... the line is always longer than you expect. Unless you live in the middle of no where, 6am isn't going to cut it.

I would recommend scoping up the line the night before. If you see people getting in line at 10pm, guess what ... do it, don't wait!

22. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

This is one thing that really really irritates me about apples preorders.

i don't understand why it's not 100% FIRST COME FIRST SERVED? if that means that the customers and fans that get up at midnight (or 3 a.m.) get the complete stock, then so be it.

i HATE that they allot a few to the FIRST PEOPLE TO ORDER so that people who go to the store a week later can walk out with a phone. while, again, the FIRST TO ORDER/BUY are then stuck waiting weeks.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED!

23. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Store stock is separate from online stock. Just because it sold out online doesn't mean those online orders are depleting store stock.

25. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

It wouldn't hurt to try. When the 5 came out I walked into my Verizon store after work in the afternoon of launch day and walked out less than 30 minutes later with mine.

I have been going back and forth all day trying to decide whether or not to pre-order ( never MIND the decision over whether to go with the 6 or the 6 Plus... :confused: ) but I really do want to at least see the phone in person and have some hands-on before making up my mind so, for me, I think it's best to just wait it out, visit the Apple Store and go from there.

It's frustrating to wait as the childish part of me wants a new phone, but in all honesty there is nothing wrong with my 2-year old 5. I still love the way it looks and with iOS 8 on the horizon it may be that I will stick with it for a while longer.

If you can't pre-order, just go to the store, whether your carrier or to Apple. If you have to wait a little longer until they're in stock, it's really not a terrible thing.