Possibly the best thing about Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac OS X Ocelot, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I'm trying out Leopard for the first time ever on my friend's iMac G4 and I'm impressed. One thing though is that the menu bar isn't clear on his 1.25GHz G4 (same as mine); that's weird. But the best thing I've seen so far is the fact that Back and Forward in System Preferences has keyboard shortcuts and in fact is set to the same as Safari so they work on the back and forward button on the mouse. It's the little things for me, really. I don't know if that's been mentioned, or if anyone else cares (el oh el), but I was always annoyed by that in pre-Leopard mac.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Spaces, or the fact that when you select a file for renaming it doesn't automatically select the extension. I can't stress enough how useful that is!

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think the best feature for new users is the Help search feature, its awesome...Quick Look is up there too...

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

yes, yes, yes. Should have been on Jobs' top ten, way above coverflow in the finder and the menubar/dock changes.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Oddly, the Menubar change may be the biggest one for me in Leopard. Before, it was so distracting, I autohid it with Menufela, now its beautiful (of course not with every background)

The minor things make the OS, like the Mosaic screensaver (I'm sure someone will mention the visualisers, but I don't use them). Spring loaded dock icons are cool too...

6. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well said! Thats a great little feature; one I loathed in any version of Windows.

To the OP, as a whole, I feel that the best thing about OS X is that it just feels more inviting, exciting and fun; not boring like Windows.

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I am one of the ones that feel no hate/love about the menubar. Doesn't do good or bad for me.

8. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I'm still trying out things, but I LOVE the transitions from Space to Space. It beats Linux's. I haven't had to rename a file, but I tested what you're talking about and it's really, really helpful.

I haven't even tried Quick Look yet! Will get right on it. The help thing is neat-o. I like the floating arrow that points right at it.

All in all the system seems faster, and he even did an upgrade instead of clean install. Even when Spotlight was indexing it was blazing fast, and this is a three and a half year old iMac!

9. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I read a post about it before, and I don't use Text to Speech much, but dang the Alex voice sounds amazing!

10. TheZA macrumors regular

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I love the fact that the Bluetooth menu extra won't randomly roam and disappear from my menubar and that my audio balance no longer goes nuts with quickly changing volume on my iBook.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its not as Human-like as I expected from all the reviews though...I love how the Airport menu doesn't hang.

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I like the much improved networking, it allows me to use my Mac at work instead of their crash-happy windows box that they stuck me on before :)

14. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

It's not perfect, sure, but it sounds better than what I've gathered from other posts here. It's one of those things you have to hear to believe.

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A few things come to mind, at the moment:

1: iChat Screen Sharing - very well implemented. Performance better than I've seen on a LAN - and this is with simultaneous audio.

2: Spaces - already at the "can't live without it" point. As second nature as Expose is.

3: Quicklook - use everywhere.

4: Coverflow - use sparingly, but very nice when appropriate to the folder contents.

5: Time Machine - set and forget, as long as you use one type of connection. That needs some work. (spaseimage vs. normal directory. There is a definite need to be able to move a TM drive from local to network, or vice-versa.)

6: Preview - ability to merge PDF's.

16. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

At first I couldn't understand why Exposé was in the Applications folder, but I get that you can put it in the dock and click or right click to use it just like they did for Dashboard (which I removed from my Dock instantly). Still, mouse bindings, hot corners, and just pressing the keyboard seem a lot easier and the fact that it's in the Apps folder instead of Core Services is a little annoying. Same with Spaces. I have all of what I need of Dashboard and Exposé (and now Spaces) bound to a button on my mouse.

17. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I'm excited there's an "Empty" button in the Trash window, I've just been hoping for a "Restore" button (to move a file to the last place it was before it was moved to the Trash) since I've switched to Mac almost four years ago. Sometimes I don't remember where it was and it would be nice to be able to automatically put it back where it was--and when I do remember where it was I'd still like to not have to navigate to there to restore it.

18. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yes! I totally agree about the file extension comment. This was a big surprise for me and I was so relieved to see it.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not only that, but there should be an option to delete only individual files from the Trash...

20. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

That is the other thing I occasionally complain to Apple. I always tell them that it's alright to copy little things when Windows gets it right...

21. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Wow. I was just going to complain about Spaces having less functionality than Linux's, but I am dead wrong. Turns out you just have to do it from the Spaces system prefs. This just makes it all the more sweeter. Making Adium appear in all spaces, making other apps just appear in other Spaces--it's all better now. In fact, better than better.

22. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Found another one: the ability to keep more than one personal folder in the Desktop Pictures preference pane.

23. theman macrumors 6502a

cane someone please explain what this means?

thanks.

24. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

So far for me, Spaces is fantastic.

It sure makes research projects and working large spreadsheets pretty nice.

25. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I forgot about that one. Huge also for me, hated to navigate to my "Displays" folder every time I wanted to change BG