Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hey Arn and Mods,

I've been a member for many years and as long as I can remember activity in PRSI has not counted towards a member's post count. I'm just curious, what's the reasoning behind this rule? I can understand having a minimum post count before the PRSI section is open to someone, but once that has been satisfied why would we not value input in PRSI just as much as any other part of the forum?

I'm not calling for a change, just curious as to the basis for the rule. Thanks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think historically, there are people who spent a lot of time in prsi only... and could develop a huge post count and not really be part of the rest of the community. Also, post counts mattered more when it was required to get an avatar, whether or not it makes sense now is up for debate. But I think that was the historical rational for it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think historically, there are people who spent a lot of time in prsi only... and could develop a huge post count and not really be part of the rest of the community. Also, post counts mattered more when it was required to get an avatar, whether or not it makes sense now is up for debate. But I think that was the historical rational for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand wanting people to be a part of the community as a whole and not just isolated parts.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I didn't know it didn't count. Ya learn something new every day ;)
From our FAQ... (Which will need a little tweaking since everyone now qualifies for an avatar)

If you posted to a thread that was moved to the Wasteland or deleted, those posts will be removed from your total. Individual posts deleted by moderators are also excluded from your post count.

We also don't count posts made to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, the Console Games forum, the Code Sharing and Software Promos forum, and the Marketplace forum.

If your post count reaches a total that entitles you to a new forum privilege, such as uploading an avatar or using the Marketplace forum, the new privilege may not take effect immediately, but it'll work by the following day at the latest.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
This policy should be reviewed, it has illogical written all over it.

If it's accurate that the excluded forum counts were originally so designated because people were not part of the general community then how are you defining 'community'? Does a post have to be about Apple products? If it does why is the Community forum included in counts? The posts there have nothing to do with Apple and plenty of users spend all their time there too. If an acceptable general community post doesn't have to be about Apple products then why is the Console Games forum excluded? Why is PRSI excluded when a case could easily be made that posts there discuss more important topics than electric toothbrushes? And perversely Current Events is included in counts. It's messy.

Whatever the original thinking it's outdated and should be changed. To my mind there would be no exclusions whatsoever and be done with it.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This policy should be reviewed, it has illogical written all over it.

If it's accurate that the excluded forum counts were originally so designated because people were not part of the general community then how are you defining 'community'? Does a post have to be about Apple products? If it does why is the Community forum included in counts? The posts there have nothing to do with Apple and plenty of users spend all their time there too. If an acceptable general community post doesn't have to be about Apple products then why is the Console Games forum excluded? Why is PRSI excluded when a case could easily be made that posts there discuss more important topics than electric toothbrushes? And perversely Current Events is included in counts. It's messy.

Whatever the original thinking it's outdated and should be changed. To my mind there would be no exclusions whatsoever and be done with it.
I agree with the policy. PRSI is often a cesspool hate-filled yelling AT one another. It is most definitely separate both in content and vibe from the other subforums.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I agree with the policy. PRSI is often a cesspool hate-filled yelling AT one another. It is most definitely separate both in content and vibe from the other subforums.

You're making a specific judgement call that's personal to you. If PRSI posts breach guidelines they're moderated. There is a thread in the Community Forum that is discussing electric toothbrushes, I think that's incredibly inane and contributes nothing. The difference between my approach and yours is that I don't think an exception should be made for any forums because different people see different importance in different subjects.

You didn't address the Console Games point.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You're making a specific judgement call that's personal to you. If PRSI posts breach guidelines they're moderated. There is a thread in the Community Forum that is discussing electric toothbrushes, I think that's incredibly inane and contributes nothing. The difference between my approach and yours is that I don't think a exception should be made for any subjects because different people see different importance in different threads.

My guess is that it's been a piecemeal judgment call on a case by case basis as MRF has grown.

I still think PRSI shouldn't count, but I wouldn't be bothered if others didn't as well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed, I'd much rather see the PRSI be closed, it has nothing to do with a technology site.

You are correct, Console games and I think also the marketplace are other forums that don't have a post count. Given that certain non-mac forums are excluded from the post count, I think excluding the PRSI is consistent and not illogical.

Reactions: jaduff46

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Agreed, I'd much rather see the PRSI be closed, it has nothing to do with a technology site.

You are correct, Console games and I think also the marketplace are other forums that don't have a post count. Given that certain non-mac forums are excluded from the post count, I think excluding the PRSI is consistent and not illogical.

In that case why include the 'Community Forum', 'Current Events' and 'Picture Gallery' forums? By your argument that PRSI has nothing to do with a technology site, neither do these. I presume you're consistent and want those closed down too?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
No, just the PRSI, as I said it's a cesspool.

So your judgement is not based on whether or not the content is technology related, it's because you're letting your personal feelings of the subject matter get in the way.

That's inconsistent.

Likewise is 'Console Games' (as you describe it) a cesspool?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
No because for the most part, people act civilally and comport themselves appropriately. The same cannot be said for the prsi

Macrumors has rules for appropriate debate that applies to all forums. If it's true that PRSI is a 'cesspool' than that would imply the moderators are not doing their job adequately. Certain main page news articles are posted into PRSI so there must be some value there.

Using language like 'cesspool' suggests that you're personally offended by some of the views expressed in PRSI. I don't agree with them all either. I've mentioned I personally consider most of the posts in the 'Community Forum' are drivel. But I understand people see value in different things so would treat all posts equally.

As a bare minimum I don't see any reasonable explanation for excluding the 'Console Games' forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It seems reasonable to me for technology related posts counting and community & special interest posts not counting.

I wouldn't be adverse to that format. The bit that bothers me and is the current approach is inconsistent and appears to be based on a particular type of opinion. The more reasonable idea being either my suggestion (all counted) or yours (tech only).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
We shouldn't care about post count anyway. It only reflects on how active the member is here, which carries (or at least should carry) no weight on the person's ideas.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If it's true that PRSI is a 'cesspool' than that would imply the moderators are not doing their job adequately.
Its more about that the small team of moderators spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with problems in the PRSI. We are volunteers who give their time to help the site, yet, we spend too much dealing with issues in the PRSI rather then interacting with people and discussing Mac related topics. I understand you can simply say add more moderators, and we're trying to do that, but at some point you look at reward vs work effort, and the reward is not there when dealing with the volume of work.

Other forums are either tightly related to technology (photography, console games), or loosely related to technology (community forum) and so it make sense to have them here at MR. I see little benefit to keeping a forum that causes more problems, more work, more division, and has nothing to do with technology.

Using language like 'cesspool' suggests that you're personally offended by some of the views expressed in PRSI
I'm not personally offended, just making an observation. I don't need to be offended by anything to say that its a cesspool, or a dumpster fire.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wouldn't be adverse to that format. The bit that bothers me and is the current approach is inconsistent and appears to be based on a particular type of opinion. The more reasonable idea being either my suggestion (all counted) or yours (tech only).
For those who spend most if not all their time in PSRI, why is post count so important? In fact, I don't see anything important about the post count at all, (as a whole) outside of the requirement for Marketplace access.

MR has given you a free place upon which to nteract with other people. Why not be thankful, instead of arguing over post count minutia?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Its more about that the small team of moderators spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with problems in the PRSI. We are volunteers who give their time to help the site, yet, we spend too much dealing with issues in the PRSI rather then interacting with people and discussing Mac related topics. I understand you can simply say add more moderators, and we're trying to do that, but at some point you look at reward vs work effort, and the reward is not there when dealing with the volume of work.

Other forums are either tightly related to technology (photography, console games), or loosely related to technology (community forum) and so it make sense to have them here at MR. I see little benefit to keeping a forum that causes more problems, more work, more division, and has nothing to do with technology.

I'm not personally offended, just making an observation. I don't need to be offended by anything to say that its a cesspool, or a dumpster fire.

The problem with PRSI I think for posters, is that once the interest is there from reading, its compelling to go back and read it, because some of the things that are said in there are just ridiculous.

I'm certainly one thats guilty of not using the other forums, and am only back on the forum day after day to see what ridiculous comments have been made, then of course you respond, and it escalates.

Personally I also agree it should probably be closed..... but unless that happens its going to be a sell fulfilling prophecy, that people will post in there, be compelled to check it, tensions get heated and mods have to moderate. But the forum doesn't give people an option of requesting a permaban from that section only (I've asked before), nor does it allow us to close accounts and delete content - and to be frank I'm not going to scramble my password and leave an active account on the forum.

The rules don't really help the mods either, I don't understand why homophobia or racism isn't an automatic permaban, its the same posters who make those comments time and time again, and they get a week suspension. Its not a deterrent...... but I guess active posters = advertising revenue...... right?

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
PRSI might be a "cesspool", but I am sure it occupies a good percent of the site traffic and potentially ad revenue. Shutting it down might not be wise. The other problem, what would you do with the PRSI articles? Not let people get political.....that will end with a lot less traffic on the site. PRSI makes good financial sense for MacRumors. If you took it away and restricted articles....you would have a lot more to moderate. At the very least, it is contained for the most part. I was a moderator on an Urbex forum for many years and learned you needed to provide a place for controversial posts to go, else the entire forum becomes the cesspool.

Reactions: Meister

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
PRSI might be a "cesspool", but I am sure it occupies a good percent of the site traffic and potentially ad revenue. Shutting it down might not be wise. The other problem, what would you do with the PRSI articles? Not let people get political.....that will end with a lot less traffic on the site. PRSI makes good financial sense for MacRumors. If you took it away and restricted articles....you would have a lot more to moderate. At the very least, it is contained for the most part. I was a moderator on an Urbex forum for many years and learned you needed to provide a place for controversial posts to go, else the entire forum becomes the cesspool.
^This!

And the guidelines are fine. Posts in PRSI shouldn't count.
I like PRSI but this is a tech forum and the bickering in PRSI has nothing to do with with tech.
[doublepost=1490541144][/doublepost]
There is a simple solution for this: Don't moderate PRSI at all.
Have visitors to PRSI confirm they are 18.
Tell them that there is no censorship and that they enter at their own risk.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
There is a simple solution for this: Don't moderate PRSI at all.
Have visitors to PRSI confirm they are 18.
Tell them that there is no censorship and that they enter at their own risk.

It's certainly a way to go, but then you run the risk of bad behavior spilling over to other forum sections. We decided that the rules apply, period.

If users want unmoderated discussions where no rules apply, MacRumors isn't the right place for them.

Reactions: Meister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.