Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BytesGuy

Sep 18, 2014
tried the online chat, and emailed them about 3 days ago.

if i was to phone, i'd need a really good reason

Ah right. I was going to ring in a few days to get applecare anyway, so I'll try and say how inconvenienced I was for having to have a £700 phone replaced after 5 days.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I don't feel scummy, but I feel kind of crummy because I called and they didn't offer me one. :p

I called with a technical issue that I totally would have called or visited the Apple store about if I hadn't had this forum on hand (I absolutely stand with the fact that it felt like my phone was going to break with how hard it was resisting me popping in my headphones for the first time!).

We talked about the idea of Apple Care and I wasn't quite sure about it yet. I only thought just afterward that I could have said "I think I'm going to see if it feels safer with a case or something first." But should haves and would haves, it likely wouldn't have made the difference.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Nice! How / what date did you contact Apple about it?
I phoned them up about my original order and they gave me a credit back on the one I had already paid for this was just after the online ordering started. Took them about a week to give the refund.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I phoned them up about my original order and they gave me a credit back on the one I had already paid for this was just after the online ordering started. Took them about a week to give the refund.

So you contacted them around September 12th, when preorders started? How did you get them to refund the cost of the case? What did you tell them?

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
So you contacted them around September 12th, when preorders started? How did you get them to refund the cost of the case? What did you tell them?

I said I had tried really hard to order and had got my order in really early on the 12th that others with order times after me had got earlier delivery times, that I had been a longstanding Apple user etc. and it was then they offered free case.

bigpika

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Scotland
Im going to be phoning apple in the UK to add apple care plus, anyone any ideas of what i could say to try and get a free case?:)

BytesGuy

Sep 18, 2014
Im going to be phoning apple in the UK to add apple care plus, anyone any ideas of what i could say to try and get a free case?:)

My plan is to tell them how disappointed I was at not being able to add applecare to my pre-order due to website issues, how I had to get the phone replaced after 5 days due to dead pixels and how 8.0.1 made my phone into an ipod touch :p

Equally make sure you say you love apple and their products, but put across your disappointment and frustration with something you have experienced lately.

Let us know how you get on, I'm ringing on Tuesday :)

BytesGuy

Sep 18, 2014
I called today, no free case offered so I didn't ask. I got through to a place in Ireland by calling the AppleCare number.

anonymous82

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Sorry but looks like there are more and more beggers on this site lately. Can't believe people are just trying to take advantage of others. I don't refer to those who were offered by Apple voluntarily, but rather those who called Apple customer services for purpose.

When you guys placed your order, didn't you know the expected delivery date? Then WTF are you calling Apple rep to complain about? It is no difference than sitting on the street asking people for money.

Again sorry if this offends any of you guys, but just can't stand seeing things like this.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I think Apple should offer 6 Plus customers a case. Clearly the phone is more susceptible to bending vs other phones. That weak spot is an issue.

runningtowin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
My (extremely friendly) senior advisor offered me a free case, so I said yes.... No tracking or anything. Will it just show up? Did you guys see a receipt of any sort?

johnnilcru

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014

vassilbg

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
haha honestly, I don't even need a case but tried calling thinking I can give it to my mom or whatever, but it didn't work. Congrats to those who got one ;)

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Ha ha, this is great. Those cases cost Apple a couple dollars at most so they can hand them out for free.

$50 for a case has got to be the greatest scam Apple has ever executed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.