Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Sheepshaver will only run classic mac os. I believe 7.5 to 9.0.4 - anything higher than 9.0.4, unfortunately, you can't, because the MMU emulation in SheepShaver was never finished.

I don't know about PearPC. I have heard of it, but does it really work at emulating another instance of Mac OS X under PowerPC? Idk..

so there goes my dream out the window :D

at least I can still put it on my g3

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Hey everyone!

Ok, here is my list of PowerPC machines I currently use.. Picture to follow shortly :)

1. PowerMac G5 Quad(Late 2005, Single Pump) - My everyday workhorse machine for everyday basics and light video editing and light encoding, and simple work

2. PowerBook G4 Dual-Layer 1.67Ghz - This is my everyday laptop I use and enjoy lugging it wherever I go. It has been modified to play 720/1080p videos and added some nice features to it, such as SSD drive and a 2nd hard drive.

3. PowerBook G4 Pismo(Originally, G3 500) - Ah, the sound of classic OS 9 in all of its glory! Yes, I use this machine sometimes if I feel the need to return back to the good ole' days of OS 9 in 1998-1999. The Pismo has the Wegener G4 550 upgrade and although it could run Leopard, I tried it and it was unusable. Its running Tiger 10.4.11 and one partition I am running OS X Public Beta, and of course, OS 9.2.2!

Also have a Power Mac G5 2.0 Ghz machine that a friend gave to me, but in the process of rebuilding it and getting memory for it. Well, there you have my setup!

Long Live PowerPC!
:apple:

Really? How?

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Almost finished rebuilding and restoring my old PowerBook G4, I'll post a picture once I complete it and have a better camera than my crappy phone. Although an overall rewarding and fun process, I have to say that this laptop is not very user-friendly as far as servicing goes.. so many parts and screws...

So far, I've cleaned all of the internal boards by soaking them in alcohol and drying with paper towels, repeated several times. I had to replace the fans since both were dead, but swapped the whole heatsink/fan assembly since I found the entire thing for cheaper than individual fans. In place of the messy, overflowing gobs of gray goo, it now has a thin layer of Arctic Silver paste. It might be my imagination since I didn't measure temps beforehand, but I think it is cooler now, as the fan never even comes on now unless I try to watch Youtube. The RAM has been maxed to 2GB, and it's gotten a few new connectors. Also, the battery has been replaced by a super cheap aftermarket one by Tech Orbits. It seems to hold decent charge, but I still need to test it for long term capacity retention and calibrate it properly since it only showed 88% capacity out of the box. Right now, I'm still waiting on a 32GB PATA SSD, after which I'll be officially done bringing this beauty back to life.

When I first booted her up prior to fixing, I wasn't even sure she could be resurrected. Settings kept resetting, doing anything induced minutes of spinning beach balls, and it kept freezing and crashing. Now, I'm using the PowerBook this very moment, and while I wouldn't say it flies, it's fairly snappy. Unfortunately, casualties include the modem (I couldn't get the connector back on with my big fingers) and the PRAM battery (which died, but I think I'll just ignore for now). There is something just charming about this old laptop.. it doesn't look newer or fancier than Apple's latest, but it seems less generic and for whatever reason, a bit more high-end. But the point is, she lives!

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
my collection...

Here is my collection... from all the macs in the pictures, the only one I don´t presently own is the black macbook, which died on me and was used to salvage a sibling with a broken screen...

G4 Cube with Sonnet 1.35 GHz; 1.5 Gb RAM; 320 Gb 7200rpm HDD; Radeon 7500; slimline combo drive with Parism brackets; Apple 17' Studio Display
Mac Mini 1.1 upgraded to Mac Mini 2.1; 2.0 GHz (T7200 upgrade); 3 Gb Ram; 160 Gb Hdd; 20' Cinema Display with Dr. Bott ADC->DVI converter
Powerbook G3 Pismo 400 MHz; 576 MHz Ram; 16 Gb 266X CF card + adapter
Powerbook G4 12' 1.33GHz; 1.256 GHz Ram; 250 Gb Hdd

p2250058.jpg

p2250057l.jpg

img0060am.jpg

my latest PPC mac is an Indigo iBook G3, which is yet to be fully explored...

img0131aux.jpg

The Cube is now a music server in the living room, doubling as a fireplace...:)

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9512/nn8istiqpqrgjyyllgctui.mp4

Cheers!

Last edited:

G5-Sir Mac Alot

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ridgefield, WA USA
My G5

This is my PowerMac G5. Dual 1.8g/ 4g RAM/GeForce 7800GS Running Dual Monitors/OS X Leopard/2 500g HDDs/Pioneer internal Blu Ray Burning Optical Drive/Airport Extreme and Bluetooth/Edirol Sound system running 2 subs and 4 speakers with input for guitar, microphone, rca jacks and midi. Verbatim backlit audio keyboard/Kensington Orbit trackball/HP deskjet 450. Custom Blue LED lighting done myself. Average Geekbench score between 1600 to 1700. Its my everyday machine. ;)

Attachments

• FILE0007.JPG
    FILE0007.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 239
  • FILE0004.JPG
    FILE0004.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 226
  • FILE0008.JPG
    FILE0008.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 234

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
This is my PowerMac G5. Dual 1.8g/ 4g RAM/GeForce 7800GS Running Dual Monitors/OS X Leopard/2 500g HDDs/Pioneer internal Blu Ray Burning Optical Drive/Airport Extreme and Bluetooth/Edirol Sound system running 2 subs and 4 speakers with input for guitar, microphone, rca jacks and midi. Verbatim backlit audio keyboard/Kensington Orbit trackball/HP deskjet 450. Custom Blue LED lighting done myself. Average Geekbench score between 1600 to 1700. Its my everyday machine. ;)

That is one heck of a machine.

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I know it's not technically PPC, but it looks like one ;)

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

I do have a TiBook 500mHz but that was retired a few years ago

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Thats one of the reasons I keep my dead powerMac G5 around is that some year I want to hack the case.

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I'm so tempted to do that myself but would feel terribly guilty for ripping the guts out of my little workhorse.

That's why I didn't use the intact family PMac - I couldn't bring myself to pull apart a working example until we really don't have any use for it anymore.

Just an FYI, the Corsair PSU is a load of junk - I've been through 2 already and both had terrible noise problems with grating caps

nemo1617

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
my imac g4 i have 2 the other is in the living room ,emac ,imac g3, powermac love the imac g4 the most :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    783.6 KB · Views: 210

SecretSquirrel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
U.K.
Hey everyone!

Ok, here is my list of PowerPC machines I currently use.. Picture to follow shortly :)

1. PowerMac G5 Quad(Late 2005, Single Pump) - My everyday workhorse machine for everyday basics and light video editing and light encoding, and simple work

2. PowerBook G4 Dual-Layer 1.67Ghz - This is my everyday laptop I use and enjoy lugging it wherever I go. It has been modified to play 720/1080p videos and added some nice features to it, such as SSD drive and a 2nd hard drive.

3. PowerBook G4 Pismo(Originally, G3 500) - Ah, the sound of classic OS 9 in all of its glory! Yes, I use this machine sometimes if I feel the need to return back to the good ole' days of OS 9 in 1998-1999. The Pismo has the Wegener G4 550 upgrade and although it could run Leopard, I tried it and it was unusable. Its running Tiger 10.4.11 and one partition I am running OS X Public Beta, and of course, OS 9.2.2!

Also have a Power Mac G5 2.0 Ghz machine that a friend gave to me, but in the process of rebuilding it and getting memory for it. Well, there you have my setup!

Long Live PowerPC!
:apple:

What mods did you do to the 1.67 Dual-Layer to play 720p / 1080p?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.